Monday, March 31, 2014

Monument Ave 10K Wrap Up


I trained, I went, and I conquered! ❤ 58:31 for my first official sub 60 10K. 

Not a dry spot on me after the race

I am relieved. 

The forecast had me wigged out. What do you wear in the rain? Skirt, leggings, bare arms, jacket, what shoes? I opened the door when I woke up and it was humid - so as little as possible...
My sweet hubby rides us so we can just jump out of the car. He cruises by so we can hop in when we are done. It's a treat not riding around looking for parking. I am always anxious when I go to events. The rain factor had me feeling way more nervous than normal. 

We ran straight to the port of potties and waited quite awhile in line. It was raining, but not down-pouring at least. We barely made it to our wave. We qualified for a seeded wave this year, our wave had 700 people. The walker/joggers waves have 1500. Usually there are about 38,000 participants and numerous spectator bands, cheerleaders, cow bell ringers...this year I think it ended up being about 36,000 finishers. I guess the rain kept some away.  
Waiting in line with Kasey 


Waiting in line - we were still a little dry 

Chris and Kasey getting ready to go 

As we were moving forward in our wave I realized I hadn't turned on my headphones and started my play list. As the announcer started pumping us up to leave I realized I hadn't locked satellites on my Garmin....nerves. I don't think or function well when I am feeling that anxious. You would think by now those things would be second nature.  

Kasey and Chris were to my left as we were crossing the start line. I was distracted while waiting to hit start on my Garmin. It seemed like an eternity until the satellites locked, but in reality it was about 25 seconds. I kept looking for Chris and Kasey, but I never saw them. 

I took off slow because I was distracted, but quickly settled into a pace that felt smooth and not overly challenging. I continued to run mostly off feel until I turned the corner at the half way point. 

The course is pretty flat but there is a gradual incline that runs almost a mile before you get to the half way point. The course turns at 3.1 and you run the other side of Monument Ave. I had planned to pick it up after the turn, but the humidity was getting to me and my cheeks felt like they were on fire. The humidity was 94%, the temperature was only about 68 degrees, but it felt icky. I was sort of amazed I could feel that hot. At mile four I took a cup of water. Not long after, I got a cramp on my right side. (I wished I wouldn't have drank now) It was persistent and I tried to focus on deep nose breathing and then tried holding my arms up and it finally started to let up. Mile five it started raining harder and I was feeling disappointed because I saw my slower lap time as it clicked on my Garmin. I did some self coaching and talked myself into pushing on. As I was thinking (worrying about my overall time) and running I saw Chris. I was bummed Kasey wasn't anywhere in sight. I took off for my last fast push at the end and crossed seconds from Chris. We waited and finally Kasey came across. It didn't seem like we waited that long, so I was hopeful she had made the sub 60 also. 
Kasey crossing the line
 

My race plan was to make sure a 9:20 was on my Garmin each time I glanced so I would have some wiggle room to meet my goal. I also planned to push the second half if I felt confident I had the energy. My plan, based on my training, was to run the first half close to 29 minutes. (29:23 was my official 5K split) Training to me means you learn when and how hard you can push without complete burn out. While training I experienced some burn out and couldn't always meet my planned distance. It's a fine line, training helped me to figure out where that line was/is. I wanted to feel like I gave this my best shot. In my heart I believed I could actually make a sub 59, but I would have been happy with anything sub 60. I do feel like I left a little on the table. Mile 4 and 5 were rough. I wish I would have picked it up about a half mile sooner, but I was worried about the cramp and waited. 


Time      
Distance  
Avg Pace
Summary            58:06.7            6.21 9:21

9:06.4 1.00 9:06

9:17.3 1.00 9:17

9:28.3 1.00 9:28

9:35.0 1.00 9:35

9:41.1 1.00 9:41

8:55.8 1.00 8:56

2:02.7 0.21 9:42 
*the course ran long, I had started 25 seconds after and still recorded this distance. Everyone else I knew was at 6.3 something


It's hard to run a completely perfect race, especially in rain. I have never trained in those conditions. My limited experiences in rain haven't been the most pleasant. 
When the official times were posted Kasey missed it by seconds. Honestly, it takes some of the enjoyment out of it for me. The perfect way to wrap up a rough race would have been accomplishing sub 60 together. 

She still did it an hour!
The finish line is behind us and all I could think about was a hot shower.

I wish it would have looked clear like this! 













2012 was the first time I ever participated in anything like this. I didn't even try to run it that year. I walked most of it and ran a little. This motivated me to go try to run a 5K that I ended up walking a little of (darn hills), which motivated me to start seriously working on running. It took along time for me to gain enough confidence to even try running. I just wish I would have started working at this when I was a lot younger. 
2012 - it was hot and sticky and sprinkled very lightly

2013 - warm and sunny 

This will be a hard time for me to beat next year! Time to retire? 
Do you feel extra nerves at races? 
April 12, 2012  Monument Ave. 10K  - 1:22:41
April 13, 2013  Monument Ave. 10K  - 1:01:40
March 29, 2014 Monument Ave. 10K - 58:31 

There's more to this story....my next post will be about what happened after the race. 

Sorry this was a wordy one! 
Have a fabulous week everyone :) 
Happy Trails to you 

15 comments:

  1. Great job!!! That is awesome improvement. Don't you hate that moment when you think your Garmin is taking forever to connect and the race is going to start any second!! so nerveracking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was torturous! LOL I can not believe I did that...crazy, right?!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your PR! I say don't wait until next year to try to beat your time... go for it sooner! I bet better weather alone would contribute to a PR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to find a 5K and run it, I feel like I could kill it! Thanks Megan :)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the PR. That is awesome, really goes to show that your training has been paying off. For me more importantly is you came up with a race plan and executed it very well. I say go for that PR sooner than next year, what do you have to lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll see I have one more timed event soon...but if its real hot that day I am just going to enjoy it lol Thanks :)

      Delete
    2. What is real hot?? LOL, try Arizona in the next couple months.

      Delete
  4. YAY Karen!!!! I'm so happy for you! Congrats on the PR. All the hard work paid off! I completely agree that training is when you learn how hard you can push without complete burnout out. Great way to state it. Can't wait to see what you do next year! And I had no idea this race was so huge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's actually bigger than than the marathon here in Nov. They close off a lot of streets for it. Thanks so much :)

      Delete
  5. Congrats! I am so happy for you!

    Look at how much improvement you've made since 2012 --- you are awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on PRing the 10K distance. I would love to run a sub-hour 10K. Maybe this year? And running in the rain is never fun, I don't care what anyone says!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, running in the rain is really not for me. This may have cured me from ever doing it again lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤