Monday, April 21, 2014

Boston Strong

I loved all the coverage of Boston and I am so thankful it was a peaceful event. I loved seeing those who weren't able to finish last year run across the line. A great deal of energy and excitement buzzed through the crowds who were out in force cheering, in great weather and...

tracking! Oh my...so cool! I got to see Megan picking up speed at the end and I swear her avatar did what looked like a little happy spin and by 2:55 p.m. she was done :) Running strong! Awesome job :) I did a cheer for you Megan Megan's Blog and I can't wait for the recap. I love all these amazing peeps I get to meet through the blogging community. 

I poured through the many touching stories today. I am awed by the resilience and strength people have shown. I feel for them in a deep way because I lived with an amputee and I know it's beyond words to adjust to the loss of a limb. 

A few of my favorite links to today's life stories ...
Meg Menzie's Husband (Love)  
Jeff Bauman, Boston Marathon Survivor
www.prweb.com/releases/2014/03/prweb11711339.htm

My Dad was hit by a car and his leg was crushed...
He spent a lot of time at the hospital (late 60's) and in kindergarten I remember him coming home with a steel apparatus built out of his thigh. He continued to get sicker and went away for over a month and came home with below the knee gone. He continued to battle infection in the bone and went in a final time to lose another chunk so all he had was a piece above the knee. He never could get a decent fit for a prosthetic and stayed on crutches for the rest of his life. I remember feeling a lot of fear for him, I was in second grade by this time, and had no idea what to do with all that. 

Watching someone you love in pain is hard, especially when you can't comfort them or make it better. Progress seems more painful when reminders of the limitations you live with jump out and bite you. 
It's hard to break a fall when you don't have a leg. My Dad went down a few times hard on snow and ice, and the frustration and anger I would feel would overflow at times. Knowing he had to take a few more lumps when he had already endured so much would eat at me. My pop got pretty good with those crutches though, he would play with me and try to "run" - he was fast! He dreamed about running, something I have blocked out for years because it just overwhelms me. He often talked about his memories of running as fast as he could while growing up. I lost my Dad a long time ago, he passed away in 1986. I am a pro at stuffing feelings away.  
My Dad before he lost below the knee cap 
My Dad didn't take many pictures with his missing leg and I have very few (yes that's me)


That's me at 2 years old - my Dad battled infection for years after this

Running...your legs, my legs, all are a gift and we should remember to thank God for everyday we enjoy them. 

Boston 2014 was the kind of day many needed. A wonderful high to balance the darkness, a chance to honor loved ones, a step toward healing, a memory to cherish, and for some I am sure it felt like a chance for a fresh start. 
Boston Strong :) 

6 comments:

  1. FANTASTIC POST!!!! First, the Boston coverage was awesome and I am also super happy that it was a peaceful event.

    Thank you so much for sharing about your father. Such an inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post and an excellent reminder. My stepfather just passed away last April and has such a similar story to your dad.

    My stepfather had to have one of his legs amputated about 3 years ago now and it never healed properly. In order to get fit for a prosthetic he had to have another surgery to have another piece received to above the knee --- he came out of that surgery just fine; however, just a couple days later his heart gave out and he never returned home.

    My stepfather was only in his mid-60s. He was a police officer and a firefighter before he retired, and I think after the amputation he just lost his spirit. He hated being confined to a wheelchair and it frustrated him that he couldn't get a prosthetic. Since the surgery went okay, my mom thinks he just lost the will to keep fighting. Every time I have a bad run, I try to remind myself that I'm lucky to run because he and so many others can't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sad Kristina. It's so hard to lose such a large part of your life like that. My dad drove a bus and even though he eventually went on to be able to drive a car again of course they would never let him drive a bus and he never really got over it. I am sorry you went through that, but you are right, it should be a reminder to us it's not that bad.

      Delete
  3. Wow what a story about your dad! I passed a few runners that had lost a leg and were running on a blade. It made me so thankful to have a strong body. Even though I went through a lot with my injury, it is NOTHING, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING compared to what they were dealing with. I am so excited that you tracked me and thank you for the shout out!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was awed by how well you did! I may have cried seeing someone on a blade. I am so thankful you shared the day with us :) You are truly amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤