Wednesday, April 30, 2014

In Need of a Little Balance


Sometimes I feel like I balance on a pin head. It just doesn't take much to knock me off course. Last week I finished off with a trail run on Sunday. I felt great. 22 miles for the week, which put me at 83 for the month, and I felt content I had met my goals. 
6.3 miles - I was a sweaty mess

My Montrail trail shoes are super comfy and rugged


Monday I woke up and my scale reported that I gained 3 lbs. Hmmph...that, the crappy rainy stormy weather, and terrible traffic on my way to work, and I forgot all about feeling happy less than 12 hours before. My legs were feeling very tight feeling Monday so I probably really needed the rest day, but I have no excuse for the poor diet choices.
Monday and Tuesday was a debauchery of pizza, wine and cheesecake. 

Wednesday at work I was looking for inspiration anyway I could get it

I did make it to the gym Wednesday night...finally, but I lacked my usual running spunk.  Just a 20 minute run on the treadmill and I worked legs, back, and abs. I tried to go up on all my weights. Thursday I plan to get a good upper body work out in and hopefully by the weekend I will be ready to tackle a long run.
Good practice for a long run
Hopefully I can salvage what's left of the week.
What do you do when you are feeling off? How's your week going? 

13 comments:

  1. Usually when my week is off, I eat a bunch of tasty treats, get a few sleep in days and restart. Some weeks are harder than others. Sounds like you still had a pretty fit week though, so don't beat yourself up over it. Progress happens 2 steps forward, one step back for all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the tasty treats covered lol I love that Raina - progress happens 2 steps forward, one step back for all of us...I will be thinking of that often :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 80+ for the month that is awesome, great month.

    When I'm off, I've really been trying to let it go, stick to my plan, abs get back out there the next day and bounce back. All we really can do. Oh plus the support from my fellow bloggers helps me through lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Raina! Every so often I need a week to decompress and rest up. I usually comeback more energized and mentally tuned in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree! I guess timing it with a week where I gained is bugging me lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think feeling down can be a combination of things. Sometimes it's your body's way of saying it needs rest, and sometimes it's all mental. I had two super low mileage weeks this month, and I think it was due to stress rather than tired legs.

    It sounds like work has been stressful for you, so I think you need to do something to pamper yourself!!! Doing something that makes you really happy (and that is not related to running) can help you get back into a positive mindset when it come to running :) Or at least it usually works that way for me. If I'm feeling down I might go see a movie, buy something new (even something small like a new nail polish color), etc. and that can instantly lift my mood all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am challenged spending a lot hours every day with people who don't seem to like me much. Seems to suck up my energy and I am old lol I can always shop and buy more running stuff - makes me happy :)

      Delete
  7. There is nothing wrong with having a bit of an off week sometimes as long as you recognize it and want to do better. Sometimes I think we just need to have an off week to recharge our bodies and our resolves :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like I am on a roller coaster sometimes - up and down...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Karen, I was off all last week. I can blame it on my diet changes (trying a whole foods cleanse) or maybe just the travel. But I only ran twice last week and yesterday I was supposed to run but just didn't feel like it. To overcome any guilt about that, I decided to do a circuit workout at home (with my favorite workout person, Jillian Michaels) and when I woke up this morning I realized, whoa, I gotta do more than run! I know it, but I just don't do it, you know? Maybe this will change now that I'm sore with every step I take up and down the stairs in my house! I hope you are back to running soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am with you, the muscle work outs are so good! It is hard sometimes fitting it all in each week. At least when you are sore you know you worked it right. lol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great month! I look to my fellow bloggers when I'm feeling of. Seeing others success and hard work gets me back on track. Plus Mrs Schlub keeps me on my toes lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so good you both have shared loved of running :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤