Friday, April 18, 2014

So Many Questions

Ever have a run where every step is a chore?  Yesterday I ran a virtual 10K I signed up for and from step one I felt like someone attached a plow to my waist. I decided to run and not look at my watch. I just couldn't get a decent rhythm going. I kept hoping it would feel smoother a few miles in...
It never did. I just never really zoned out, it took a lot of effort to keep pushing forward, my mind felt kind of cluttered, my breathing wasn't smooth, and  I could still feel the tug :/  This has been my past few runs now. 
I have a little tug in my left hamstring and my left calf I've been feeling since last week; I wanted to run it sub 60 if I felt okay, but I wasn't going to stress about it if I couldn't.
Run buddy and I will have this cute bling soon 

I tried to just ease the pace, but it didn't change how I was feeling, so I'd go back to pushing on. I figured if I pushed at least it would end sooner lol
See my crazy looking blue pace chart...


I was really happy with the 58:20 result considering how rough it felt











I am not sure what's really up with my legs, but picking up the speed work the past few months has taken me through a lot of (really happy) up and downs. I am still not sure about how much recovery time I reeallly need. I didn't run any lengthy events, but I did run hard for my shorter 10K, 5K, and 15K but I almost a week out from my last event.

I will say slowing down is hard after you get use to seeing speedier paces. I did a cool down mile right at a 10:07 pace and it felt like it was taking forever to get down the street. I will have no choice but to slow down very soon, because the heat is coming.

I still feel like such a newbie runner sometimes. I have so many unknowns and questions still. Recovery is a big mystery to me... I do know increasing protein helps me to feel better sooner, but I have been so lazy I have been skipping shakes because I don't want to clean the blender. How ridiculous is that? and I've never foam rolled. Should I be?

Are all these up and downs normal? How long does it really take to recover? Should I have skipped my progression run on Tuesday? What do you do when you feel the unwanted tugs in your muscles?

Edit- after I posted I realized it was time to suck it up and wash the blender...a raspberry protein shake :) 


5 comments:

  1. Running is an up and down hill. You never know what can happen next. But yes, proper recovery can help. Drink up girl! And foam roll like it's your job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. like that! Foam roll like it's my job :) I had a great 5 mile run tonight - relief :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That medal is so cute!

    I know exactly how you feel, some days I can barely get through a single mile and I wonder how that could possibly be?! It makes me feel like I just started running yesterday, and then other days I breeze through 10 miles like it's nothing (well, sort of :) ). I think all runners go through ups and downs that have to do with life related to and unrelated to running. I think it's just part of the deal, and we just have to keep keep pushing through the bad days, because the good days make it all worth while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you are so right! The rough runs make you love a good one!! I did have a great run the next run day with my run buddy and I thought - how crazy!? I guess the up and downs will never totally go away.

      Delete
  4. I totally understand. There are days when I am just not feeling it and it is a suffer fest. Good work getting it done in a good time!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤