Running

Running
Karen clutters up her little corner of the internet with her love of running

Saturday, May 31, 2014

May Wrap Up

I was able to wrap up May with 10 supersonic miles...okay, not really I manged a 10:30 average pace. Maybe if I stop spacing long runs so far apart I will feel stronger. 
Run buddy is recovering from the flu so she came and ran the first hour with me, which really helped the time to go by fast. I do enjoy the 4 x 1 because it's nice to enjoy the walk break together. 
I finished about 9 a.m. and even with sunscreen I still got a bit pink. I really don't like getting any sun, so I guess I am going to have to work on earlier than 7 a.m. on weekends. I like to sleep though! 

I am begrudgingly getting use to running with my hydration pack, but I still don't love it. It would be impossible, suicidal, irresponsible to not carry it though, I drank about a half liter today. I looked really rough when I got done. I sweated so much as the sun was getting stronger, I had to detour a few seconds and use a sprinkler to flush my eyes. They were burning from all the sweat...gross. I could not wait to shower! 

Since I am not really training for anything I just have a few big picture things. 

First- my yearly goal is to at least match my mileage from 2013
2013- 834 miles
2014- 444 miles so far, so I am halfway there

Second- work out four times a week. Nailed that in May :) 
So far this year I only blew that goal twice. I had a week in February and one in March where I only got three workouts done. 

May miles - 102
two long runs - 
3rd - 10 miles 
31st - 10 miles 
The rest of my miles were all in short runs. I am thrilled with my numbers this month, I rarely have 100 mile months, but oddly I didn't feel super strong most of the time. I would say the majority of runs I really had to work to keep moving forward, no smooth sailing feeling much; which is why I ended with a bunch of shorter runs. 

My diet and hydration have been fairly consistent, so the only thing I can figure is my lack of sleep is affecting my energy levels. I don't roll well with 6 or 7 hours a night and that happened on a very regular basis. I really need a few 9 hour nights a week to feel in tip top shape. 


Highlights of the month - 

Mother's Day 

...and I accepted a new position working in an elementary school office, but I don't start till August. I work my current job until June 30th. 

Hiking 


Our canceled Glow Run - we still managed to salvage the fun and run  Glow Run Post

What highlights did you enjoy in May? Tell me anything :) Are you excited to be heading into June?  

18 comments:

  1. I am having such a hard time believing that June has arrived already! That means as of today there are 4 months and 5 days until my full marathon! :)

    Great job on 100 miles -- I can't believe you hit that number with only two long runs! I must be doing something wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The marathon is going to be exciting! May is a longer month and I just got lucky I could end with a long run lol it's weird though running a mile or two extra a few times added up.

      Delete
  2. If I were you, I'd be dreaming of July and August! Congrats on your new job and enjoy the break in-between. :-)

    Sounds like you had some pretty great running in may! Nice job on the mileage and getting in at least 4 workouts a week. You're amazing!

    One of my highlights in May was definitely our trip to Catalina Island!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your trip to Catalina was packed with fun :) I am really excited to be off, I worry a little about not getting paid though lol time off is awesome though!

      Delete
  3. Congrats on your 100 miles in May AND on your new position!

    My May was pretty good. I spent a lot of it recovering from the marathon and then I got a nasty cold virus, but I ended up running a half marathon recently at a pretty good time. So I guess it ended well. :) I am so looking forward to June! Our school finishes on June 30 and then I'm on Summer Vacation :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you will definitely reach your goal of running more miles in 2014 than 2013! May, let's see.... Highlight was maybe my chorus concert. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awwww that's sweet :) those are great moments for student and the teacher to remember!

      Delete
  5. Great job on the miles! I haven't been over 100 miles in so long!
    Congrats on a new job, hope you love it. Your hike looks so beautiful!

    My May highlight was finally running a race again on Mothers Day weekend and doing better than I thought I would do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great month! I haven't ever paid attention to my miles per month. I should check that out, after I finish uploading my month of May! Not sure what my May highlight was...I was so swamped at work that I really didn't have a great month of running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am little tracking OCD I guess lol Work will do that, I always get overloaded when school starts and the semester changes.

      Delete
  7. Well done on your awesome month of 100miles+! Hope you can get that sleep catch up soon.

    I can't believe it's June already! May flew by.

    I'm looking forward to my first ultra trail race ever in June (June 7th) and the end of our teaching contract/ start of our summer holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An ultra is very exciting! I can't wait to read about it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay for May! i can't believe that june is here already. half way through the year! and june is my birthday month :) love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you get to do something special for your b-day :)

      Delete
  10. Great running month, Karen! You are well on your way to reaching your goal for the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raina :) and I only had a few days of ice lol

      Delete