Sunday, May 18, 2014

Resting and Still Working Out

I have spent a few weeks with very little sleep worrying about my work situation so finally this past week I decided to accept a new position back in an elementary office as an enrollment secretary/grade quick manager.  My contract for my current position ends June 30th and I am hopeful the change will be good for me emotionally. This past year I was dealing with a lot of changes and most were for the worst. It's been a pretty totalitarianism kind of environment and I just don't understand folks who seem to delight in making every procedure more complicated and tedious than it need be.  Enough of that rant...but yes, I am extremely hurt and it will take awhile to get over this past year. 

My left shoulder had a super sore spot last weekend, so I decided to load the anti-inflammatory on a regular regimen and rest a few days from upper body weight training. I needed to beef up the running and the beginning of the week called for temps 96 degrees and above. I tried running Monday and Wednesday morning at 5:00 a.m. and wow was that challenging...Monday night I ran after work and did a few miles at a time, with a walk break in between. 

Thursday I finally felt no soreness so I went to the gym and got in a decent upper body weight session and felt great, so hopefully whatever was irritated in there will stop being cranky. I actually dusted the cob webs off my elliptical in my garage and did 25 minutes on it instead of running that night because it was pouring rain and I just didn't feel like treadmill running. 

I also have a spot on my left calf that keeps getting irritated when I run. I have been living in compression socks when I am not running, and it felt better when I was on my regimen of Diclofenac Sodium earlier this week, but the irritation returned after Saturdays 10K.

Sunday morning I did my trail loop and I felt pretty good until the last mile, then the tugging in that one little spot on my calf that's making me crazy started. 


The liter of water feels heavy on my back, but I sure do feel better hydrating

Usually the trails are about 2 inches thick w/leaves 
I pleasantly surprised the trails were somewhat cleared, they must have run a tractor through and moved the leaves. There was a mud obstacle run there last weekend so I guess they spruced things up for it. Bonus for me, I can see the tree roots :) I did encounter a few spots that were still pretty muddy though, and got really grubby by the time I finished the loop. 
May 3rd was my last long run, a 10 miler, and I am starting to worry my body has forgotten how to survive a long run. I want my calf to heal up though, so I may hit the weights hard and take a  few days off from running this coming week. 
Happy trails to all of you :) 
Cheers to trying to survive and not end up injured. 
Tell me anything you want! Ever changed jobs because of your own personal misery? or tried to change your workout routine? time of day? loved or hated it? 

15 comments:

  1. i had a job once that stole my soul slowly...one day at a time...i got "lucky" and we ended up moving before i had to quit. sounds like you got yourself out of a miserable situation. it will take some healing, but you took the most important step.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand that feeling totally. I loved my job for the past 3 years and love my hours, it's hard to give that up, but this year was just too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry you had such a difficult work environment this year. Luckily, I like mostly everyone I work with- they are wonderful people. But there are one or two that none of us know what planet they are on...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! You can't avoid that- always a few crazies in every bunch lol

      Delete
  4. I have been so lucky to love my job for the last 13 years. I hope the new job is just what you need and you love it :)

    That trail looks like a beautiful place to run. Are you foam rolling your calf or anything? Injuries are so aggravating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I confess I don't have a foam roller or one of those stick rollers. I guess I need to try! I am doing the ibuprofen and icing...I love that trail, it does make me feel relaxed :)

      Delete
  5. Sorry about the work situation, but glad to see you moving on to something more positive. Those 5 am runs are brutal, if I can get up in usually ok but getting up is rough. The trails look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you have decided to move on with your work situation. I once worked in a place where I was driven absolutely mad. My immediate boss and his boss didn't get along so every message got passed through me, which was so frustrating. It felt like we were playing the game of telephone at work, "well you tell so-and-so that I said..." UGH. I'm working at a place now where I actually enjoy going every single day, which makes life so much better. I hope you feel the same way about your new job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It really does make your quality of life better if you can enjoy your work place :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on the new job! I am sorry this year has been so stressful, but at least you were able to find a new option and can move on. I've changed jobs in the past because of misery and it was oddly liberating. I almost didn't know what to do because the new one was so normal.

    Currently thinking about changing to morning running to avoid some of the summer heat. We'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to get the liberated feeling! Morning running is rough, it will really make you appreciate sleep lol :)

      Delete
  8. So much going on in this post, where to start?

    1. Sorry to hear about your work situation. It's always tough when you have no say in work changes, and I hear you on a totaliarianism kind of environment. I don't think many could survive/enjoy that kind of workplace.
    2. Wow it sounds tough to fit your running in when it's 96F outside! I don't know that I could run at 5am, and I'm a morning person. 6am, perhaps, but 5am? Eek!
    3. I can relate to your calf issue. When I used to run extensively, I used to develop this ache at the back of my right heel, that I had to massage out myself after every run. It didn't hurt while I was running (thankfully), but it was VERY noticeable after every run longer than 4 miles... I don't get those anymore, probably because my mileage is nowhere near what it was back then.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 5 a.m. is crazy lol but the sun get so strong in the summer that was the only way I could finish before I was in really strong sun. I am very pale and freckly and sun is bad. lol I wish I had your awesome complexion! I deleted my typo lol

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤