Running

Running
Karen clutters up her little corner of the internet with her love of running

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Used Up - Rest or Not?


This was me this morning. 

Monday I woke up hungry and my legs and glutes were feeling used up after my hike. I love that feeling! 

It's hard to hit that perfect sweet spot of tired, when it comes to working out. I planned to work out since I was off work, but toyed with being a slug all day because I felt used up happy, but by afternoon I wanted to go the gym. 

I enjoyed my morning vegetating watching 19 Kids and Counting, reading blogs, and eating...
I could have picked something healthier but I didn't want to


Tweek the toothless wonder came to snuggle with me 

My plan was an upper body work out. However, toward the end of my treadmill warm up I noticed the girls cleaning. They were closing an hour earlier than I expected...maybe I should have read the sign...so I did twenty minutes of stretching and headed home. Not quite the work out I wanted, but I did get an easy pace 35 minute run in and my legs felt surprisingly great. I need my nagging calf issue to be gone. 

Here's my own personal scale: 

Used up is good - the right amount of soreness in my muscles, a happy fatigue.

Tight is on the edge - muscles feel strained, or usually there's a particular spot that is for sure irritated and on the edge of pain. When my left calf hurt the past few weeks, it ached even during casual activity, but would come and go. If I had to scale it 1-10, tight would be 3 or under for me. I usually try some rest, alternative activity, stretching, and ice. 

Pain - anything over a 3, or anything that is an absolute constant throb, tug, etc...If I feel I am at a 4 or 5 but not constant, I still try ice, ibuprofen, etc....
Constant pain or anything 6 or above will usually result in the a trip to the doc...eventually.


Are your rest days always planned? or just happen when you've worked enough? Don't you love hitting the sweet spot? 

14 comments:

  1. My dedicated rest day is Sunday since it is the day after my long run, but I am thinking about switching it up. Lately I have really wanted to run on Sundays, but usually feel pretty tired on Mondays after getting back into the work week. I think monday would be a better rest day and a good way to ease into the week.

    Tweek is so cute :D Kitty snuggles are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Monday probably would be a good day to chill! Tweek thanks you ")

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right now my rest days are planned. I like having them to look forward too. I agree, having tired legs means I am doing it right, but too much soreness or pain means something was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I am not really training for anything, I can wing it for now, but that does make it easy to slack off lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do plan my test days but I also base it upon my body as well. I take extra rest days if I feel it's necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My rest day is def not planned but I aim for once a week! I love what you said about how you could've eaten something healthier but you didn't want to! Haha that was me after work tonight- I had angel food cake for an after work snack. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angel food cake is good, there are worse snacks for sure lol!

      Delete
  7. that's a great scale to go by! i woke up this morning with a lot of pain in my core...i definitely did something wrong. not good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer Dawn, do you think you pulled something in a class?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love that scale! And yes, that sweet-as tired feeling is GREAT. Sometimes I take extra rest days as and when I need them, but often they are scheduled in haha.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! that sweet-as tired feeling is always the goal ")

      Delete
  10. My son & I LOVE 19 Kids & Counting! He gets to stay up late on Tuesday nights so we can watch it, and my daughter usually sneaks out of bed to watch too. LOL Your scale is great! I hope your calf feels better soon. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mrs. D has some kind of super human patience I just don't posses lol My calf is feeling a lot better right now so I am fingers crossed when i run I won't feel that tug anymore :)

    ReplyDelete