Sunday, June 15, 2014

Hiking Flat Top

Took another Saturday drive up to the Blue Ridge Parkway and hiked a new peak. Flat Top Mountain is mostly a single track trail with a lot of ground cover type overgrowth. I was keeping an eye for snakes. Flat Top doesn't have quite the panoramic view that Sharp Top has, but I still enjoyed the journey up. I always do :)


That's my friend Debbie in the blue :) 


See the pointy looking mountain to the right, that's what we climbed last time :) 

Debbie, Russ and the dog never made it to the top. Pastor Danny (w/o the hat) runs this mountain often. Rhonda and I tried running about a half mile of the trail on the way down- it's hard with a heavy pack lol  


Cassie the labradoodle was ready to roll 


Made it! 


On the way down there's a half mile section that is fairly wide so we ran it :-) Most of the trail was very single track. 


I love a day in the woods climbing up. Today's hike was about a 1900 ft. elevation gain. 



I had more water then usual left over today. 




If I lived closer I would be hiking all the time. I am hoping to find a trail suitable enough so I can really take a crack at running down a mountain one of these trips :) 
I am not ready to run up them...yet...

Anyone else have a passion to hike or is it all about the running? 

A confession...I did wake up and run two miles before I went to hike, my mileage was low this week and I just had to do it. 

Oh and here's my obnoxious toooo red hair 

It was okay in the shade...
but not in the sun lol, I guess I am going to have to fix it. 

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful hike! What a lovely day. I love to cross train with some hiking, but it is a bit of a drive depending where we go. We need to be better about escaping the city for a hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drive kills me, but I wanted to try for once a month at least...we'll see :)

      Delete
  2. What a gorgeous day! Karen, I LOVE YOU HAIR! I know it doesn't matter what I think, but I do really like it :) With your complexion I think you could do any hair color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, i was going to strip it but I am glad i didn't have time I am over feeling like a clown now :)

      Delete
  3. i would love to go hiking more! when we lived up north (michigan/vermont) i loved hitting the trails with friends. i miss it so much here. its just not the same when it's just a paved trail along the highway.

    meanwhile, the hair is amazing! i believe that you can't be too red. i always wanted red hair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could hike near home, but I love mountains :) I like that you can never be to red!

      Delete
  4. Cassie is sooooo cute!

    I have to agree with everyone else, your hair looks great! If it's obnoxious to you then you should change it, but I bet no one else feels the same way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, my hair has actually faded a bit, reds do that faster then anything so I am feeling okay with now :)

      Delete
  5. I looooooove hiking. That is one thing I miss about the Bay Area (San Francisco). There are some amazing hikes around the Bay (because of the amaaaaazing scenery). I love your photos...I definitely got a sense of the beauty and serenity. Hiking is also such a great way to spend time with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, it sure is easier to chat with friends when hiking :)

      Delete
  6. Those are some great views. Looks like an awesome hiking trail. Fantastic job, with 1900 feet of elevation gain, that's a serious hike right there. Of course I have a passion for trail running/hiking. You can't beat the views.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the hair!!! Please keep it! haha, up tp you of course though. I used to dye my hair a similar colour when I was eighteen and I loved it but it would always fade too quickly and was a hassle to upkeep (I'm lazy).
    What a beautiful place to hike! I love hiking and would love to do more of it, but I guess again due to laziness or transport or location issues I don't often manage to do it so I run instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You and must be dye sisters lol I've had very blonde, very dark, and all kinds of reds :) I get tired of coloring too.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤