Thursday, June 26, 2014

Treadmill Runs

Treadmill - just say the word and most runners will tell you how much they dread it, right? I need to love on it for summer so I am trying to replace the dread and create a new association of appreciation.

I awoke at 5:00 a.m. and checked out my front door, the weather was humid to the point of cruelty. I thought to myself thank goodness I have a gym 5 minutes from home. 

Determined to make the most of my treadmill runs I took my trusty little gym boss, clipped it to my shirt, and did intervals for the first time in a long time. It felt wonderful and I decided to stop cheating (myself) and I added 1% incline. Incline feels tough at first, but after a few minutes you forget it's there. During the winter I had worked my way up to a 3% incline for shorter 3 min. intervals, which started my wheels turning about what I could accomplish in the next few months. I know setting treadmill goals seems a little lame, but I need to do something to keep myself sane and enjoy my new status as the four miler queen. 



Realistic is: 
  • 45 minutes is about my max on a treadmill.
  • 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. work hours for July and August are happening so I need reasonable expectations for work outs. 
  • It doesn't have to be the same thing over and over.
  • Have you ever seen a sad hamster on a wheel? 

I still have a little nagging fear if I don't consistently long run I will lose my fitness level, but I am trying to squash it. Honestly it's my age that causes that fear. Each day I move closer to that dreaded 5-0 number, I worry I will become weaker, however I am doing everything I can to stand strong at that age...that's another strong association I need to redesign in my mind. 
Aging = wisdom 
Aging = weakeness  
Not getting to that number is a suckier option, so onward. Just because I am doing shorter runs doesn't mean I can't get stronger. 

I can do progression runs, incline runs, and I have all kind of options for intervals with my gym boss. I am thinking it will be fun to program some pyramid type plans in for intervals. The best thing about the timer, it beeps, vibrates and saves the plan. I don't even have to think, just adjust speed and incline as it beeps, sounds like a blast right? 



We'll see...
Any treadmill tips, thoughts, ideas?? As always I will enjoy hearing about all your running adventures and live vicariously  :) 
Happy Trails Everyone ")

16 comments:

  1. I did ALL of my training for my last half marathon on the treadmill and didn't mind it at all. I did break down the long runs into 4 mile intervals though. Every 4 miles I would allow myself a break to get water from the fountain. That really helped the time pass a lot faster, plus I always thought "just get to mile 4" instead of "oh man I have to run 12 miles on the treadmill." If you do any long runs on the mill that might help!

    I also like to watch Food Network while on the treadmill. I plan the meal I am going to eat after I am done running ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm I will have to try that, maybe I will do two 3 milers and see how it goes :) and if I do it I will have something to build on. I love that you are planning your meal lol It still amazes you pulled off all that training on the treadmill but I would have to do the same thing if I didn't have seasons here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I end up training a lot on the treadmill on hot days. I usually play games with my speed in order to reduce boredom (up it every half mile, plan water sips at certain intervals, do ladder speed work). I never run a TM run at one speed.

    And yes,, Aging=wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its funny all the little "tricks" to keep your mind busy lol I love it :) Yes, wisdom!

      Delete
  4. I wrote about treadmill running today too! It's so disgustingly hot here in Phoenix that I took it indoors and did intervals as well. Totally makes the time go by faster. Although, I am a rare one that doesn't mind treadmills. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am learning to adjust my attitude and I am feeling a lot happier now :) It's good to have a place to run

      Delete
  5. Good option choosing the treadmill over the crazy humidity, and sounds like you'll be getting a great balance of workout vs. crazy long workday. :)
    I hardly ever use a treadmill these days, but back about 12 years ago, it was all I ever ran on (you couldn't convince me to run outside, lol...). Music and watching TV/movies (depending on which machine it was, or where it was positioned in the gym) helped to pass the time, but sounds like you've got it covered with your gymboss gadget, as if you are busy changing speed/incline etc this all helps pass the time heaps too. Oh, dreaming and planning holidays/travelling always helped me to pass the time when running on the tready too. Enjoy Karen!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to day dream, my mind is beginning to feel less cluttered and I can zone a bit :) You can even think about all your lovely travels you have enjoyed!

      Delete
  6. I sold my treadmill when I moved over a year ago, but something that's great about the treadmill on hot and humid days is that you can turn a fan or the air conditioner on and cool off a bit. I've done some very long runs on treadmills and music helped, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love music and I keep the playlist on shuffle :) I don't think I could last ten minutes w/o music. Air condition is a blessing!

      Delete
  7. I am definitely one of those runners that cringes when I hear the word treadmill lol. But I applaud you for your new found relationship with the treadmill. Have to do anything to keep fitness up through the summer. I gotta say, 50 is just a number and I love your outlook, not hitting that age is a much worse alternative so lets push on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been up and down on where I stand with the treadmill. When I moved to Denver last summer, I realized that the treadmill might be the best place to run on a really hot day. Of course, we don't have the humidity challenge that you have! I have a limit on how far I will run on the treadmill -- I think 5 miles is it, so I can totally relate to your efforts to try for other running challenges other than distance. It's just one dimension to running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am working on moving the max up a bit. It is so hard to stay on for me, but it's getting easier :) You never know I may be able to get a longer 7 or 8 miler before summer is over :)

      Delete
  9. I wish I had a treadmill, but at least I have a rowing machine and elliptical. Watching Netflix helps the time fly by for me on both of them. I listen to audiobooks and podcasts a lot when I run. I have a gymboss too, aren't they great little devices!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Podcasts seem to be pretty popular, I need to find some I like. I love the gymboss, programming in a new plan for a pyramid run now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really need to investigate the gymboss more. Sounds so great! The treadmill's not so bad, but then again, I rarely run on it. :( You've got a great attitude and some good plans to make it through the summer, though.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤