Sunday, July 13, 2014

Run Naked

Towel, IPOD, waterbottle, lock, headphones, heart monitor on... 



...off to the gym I went, and when I arrived I realized I forgot my Garmin.

It's hard to explain how attached to my watch I am. I considered leaving and going home, but I resisted. My plan was to run a treadmill 10K for my "long run". 

I boldly stepped up on the treadmill and began my run, naked wrist exposed for the world to see. The first few miles felt strange, I kept checking to make sure my skirt was on (yes I wore my beloved Lulu) because I kept having the weird panicky moments that happen when you forget something. 

An hour later I was dripping with sweat and accepted my time scrolling across the treadmill screen. I hopped off the TM and knocked out some leg lifts, push ups, and back exercises. I glanced at my wrist in between sets (like 10 times) to see what my heart rate was...I mean duh...I knew I left it home, I guess it's just habit. 

Usually I plug my watch in and upload it while I shower. I had a strange emptiness when I came down the stairs and I realized I couldn't "see" my stats. It's almost like the work out didn't happen if I don't have my visual at the end. 

I am totally kidding, but seriously, if my Garmin ever dies I will pay for overnight shipping to have a new one. It's like going to work without your ring on. Randomly during the day I will notice it's missing from my finger and have that panicky second where I wonder what happened to it. 

The push ups aggravated my ganglion cysts in my wrists so I have been popping ibuprofen today. I will probably go to the gym tonight right before it closes to run, I guess I will not be lifting today:( 

Light week again, just 14 miles of running this week. My naturalist episode changed things up a little anyway.
Last week I picked new shoes for my half in Nov. so I can train in them when it's time. I usually go with neutral Brooks Ghosts, but these felt great on, and the trail shoe I love to run in, actually falls in the stability category, so I went with the Adrenaline GTS 14

Shoe shopping wore me out-I tried on shoes for hours and even left to walk around and think about it...and returned to try on again lol I have quite a time making decisions...I worked up an appetite. 


Don't see one of these every day ") The building I am working in temporarily  (we move to our new building in Aug.) opened in 1977.  Seeing this just makes me smile...brings back memories. As a kid I loved answering a ringing pay phone at a mall or on a corner, just to see who was on the other end. 

accidental modern art 

You to can create a uniquely shaped water bottle if you carelessly dump boiling water in the sink- I loved this darn bottle but I ditched it because I was afraid I released some toxins melting it down.  


Do you know that momentary panicky feeling when you forget something you are used to? Ever see a real pay phone? How often do you run naked? 

12 comments:

  1. Fun Sunday post, Karen! I miss pay telephones too. Loved hearing that you enjoyed answering randomly ringing pay phones. And I could totally relate to your "running naked" comment. When I would run without the San Diego Track Club, I *had* to have my Garmin on because it was important that I know how far and how long I had been running...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's always good to know exactly how far and how long you ran right lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! LOL. I never see old payphones!!!!! I think it's like an endangered species. ;) Great job on your naked run! I'm super crazy and can't run without my Garmin. I have to ask, would you Garmin locate a satellite in a gym on a TM? Mine would not. So I was wondering how that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Endangered - you are so right lol I use the Garmin in indoor mode at the gym. When you click locating satellites more than once it asks indoor or outdoor. I wear a heart rate monitor so I have that chart and use the TM mileage. When I upload to Garmin Connect I just edit so I can add my miles in, so I I can be accurate for the year. I love wearing my Garmin for lifting sessions, I was shocked at how much I burn and it really motivated me to do more :) I am true addict LOL

      Delete
  4. I saw payphones at the airport and I was SHOCKED! Oh and I ran naked the other day! I did a route that I knew he distance of, I just didn't know my pace and I DIDN'T CARE. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it weird to see pay phones lol I read about your naked run :) It must be freeing to not care!!! I actually have completely ignored my pace for a whole run and not looked at my watch, but I still want to see it when I am done lol

      Delete
  5. When I run naked on the treadmill, I take a quick picture with my phone at each mile marker so I can remember exactly what my splits were, haha. Yes, definitely obsessive with knowing my stats! I have never ever run without my garmin outside. One time it died and I just popped open the runkeeper app :)

    Hope your wrists are feeling a big better today, Karen!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think i's good to love your stats lol My wrists were much better today, I got to lift but the gym was so crowded I didn't do everything I wanted to. Mondays stink at my gym

      Delete
  6. I have trouble going watch free too! I've been trying to work on it more, but it's so hard to break away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad I am not alone!!! yaaa for stat collecting friends lol

      Delete
  7. Omg, I am just as attached to my Garmin as you are. I forgot it last week and decided t run the same exact run a couple days later so I could record all the stats lol. Sorry your wrist is acting up. New shoes are awesome, hope they work out perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's good problem solving :) My wrists went down fairly soon, it's just frustrating. I like my new shoes ran in them tonight!

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤