Tuesday, July 15, 2014

There's a First Time for Everything

In all my years (and there's lots of them) I have never been to Disney World. 218 days from now I am going to be a Princess Half Marathoner!!

February 19-February 22, 2015 


The online registration was more stress than anyone should have to endure. Okay, that may be slightly over-dramatic, but they charge almost $200 a bib, so seriously, get the web site working! It took an hour and 6 minutes for Kasey to get both of us registered. Pages wouldn't load, and she would get bumped and have to start over...extremely frustrating! She has three young children that she was trying to keep occupied during the process; the more the web page malfunctions drug on, the more the chances a three kid pile up was going to happen in her living room. Run Disney was supposed to go live at noon for registration. I walked to a wing in my building that was quiet so I could talk on the phone and be ready to give her my info. and not get caught up in work tasks. I have my proprieties straight folks, of course running is more important! 



After I dialed all hell broke lose. The fire system in the building malfunctioned and every obnoxious buzzer and bell in every hall was screaming, then doors started slamming shut, I could not believe it. I escaped to the outside and walked the school track. It was so humid my glasses fogged when I went out the door. I gave up after a sticky, sweaty, half hour and went inside to try to log in simultaneously with Kasey to see who could get the web page to load. Finally she got it!!!




I am so excited!

Most of you reading this know I don't like heat or humidity, but it is in February, so there's at least a slight chance we may get a cooler day, right (just say right)?! We plan to do the Galloway method so we can just enjoy the experience and stay together and not die in the humidity. NO time goals for this event, this is about fun, fun, fun and a costume! 

I will be 48 years old for my first Disney trip ever "/   I am so excited!

Mickey ear pictures after our celebratory 3 miler tonight - which by the time I ran home was 4.5 miles :) Tonight was my first run outside in a few weeks


It rained on us for the entire run - my shirt is soaked



Run buddy posting our official announcement on FB

Kasey's 6 year old son was amazed this morning I have never visited Disney.

"What?! Never been to Disney, she's taken a wrong turn in life somewhere."

We actually have bibs now, so we can start working on travel plans soon, so I can get my life on the right path lol 

(¯`•.•´¯) (¯`•.•´¯)
*`•.¸(¯`•.•´¯)¸.•´ ♥

☆ ♥ `•.¸.•´ ♥ º ☆.¸¸.•´¯`♥ Have you ever run a Disney race? Any tips on a must do at Disney?? ideas welcome :)

17 comments:

  1. i have never been to Disney either, might be awhile before I do. They sure charge a lot for their bibs!! But how exciting!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am sure it'll be my one and only time :)

      Delete
  2. That's exciting! I don't like the heat and humidity either. I've never run Disney but we ran the Miami Marathon at the end of January one year and being from Nova Scotia, Canada I remember still finding it quite humid, especially since I trained in snow..lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would take your weather any day over humid conditions :) My dream is to move to Montana. Since I am not worried about time, I think I will be okay with the humidity there, I am just happy to go!

      Delete
  3. Oooooh! That is going to be such a fun run! We were actually at Disneyworld this year at the exact same time the Princess Half Marathon took place earlier this year (2014) and I have to say, we were surprised at how cool the weather was, so you might get lucky, and it might be surprisingly cool. (Great, hope I didn't jinx you just by saying that). Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to hear that Marnie :) I am praying for a cool day, but I'l take whatever we get!! You travel a lot!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for getting to do a race and go to Disney for the first time! I have never been there, but I know everyone else loves it! But 200 for a BIB?? What the heck?? What is included in this half marathon??? You better get $150 back for crossing the finish line lol. No but seriously, that is more expensive than both the Boston marathon and NYC. How do they charge $200??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was $181.84 I think with taxes, isn't that crazy and it's already sold out. All the events run really high and they are selling out faster and faster, I guess that's why they hike it up so much. I will only go once in my life and it's a girls weekend so I figured, why not. I will never be fast enough for Boston unless i am running when i am 80 lol

      Delete
    2. I think it will be a fab weekend! It is just a shame that they charge so much BUT if they can get people to pay it, why not, right??

      Delete
  6. I think you'll have a great time since you're running it with a friend! The course is pretty boring except for the one mile that you're actually running through Disney, but the picture opportunities along the way make it fun if you have a friend!

    The thing that I absolutely loved about the PHM last year were the volunteers and aid stations. They have one literally every single mile and the volunteers are seriously the most cheerful ones I have ever met!

    I tried to wear my Minnie ears last year but ended up tossing them in a trash can around mile 2 lol. It just wasn't working for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! I will not try to wear ears lol I can't decide if I going to be Pocahontas, or Ariel...or Tinker Bell. I think all the photo opps will be fun because it will all be new to me, Kasey has visited there a bunch of times.

      Delete
  7. congrats on disney, I heard it is an experience everyone should take part in. Way to knock out the 4.5 miles outside.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay for getting in! I've heard just getting into Disney races these days is an event in itself. I did do Goofy back in 2008 and it was fun to run through all the parks with the characters. Make sure to bring a camera on the run! Plenty of fun to take pictures of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What was your flair for the race?! I really think they should consider a lottery system. It's hard to be able to sit at a computer that long to try to log on and who should have to when they charge so much!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤