Saturday, August 9, 2014

Another Birthday

Friday I celebrated my birthday with a fun night out to see Carlos Mencia at the Richmond Funny Bone with my family.
Hubby, me, Mencia, Cassie, Andrew my son

Right now I am slurping down a protein shake trying to feel recovered enough to go by the gym and run so I don't mess up my streak. My celebrating has left me feeling slightly challenged...


True tidbit: I partied quite a bit when I was younger and was still living in Baltimore. I moved to VA in 1989 - that makes me sound crazy old - and had my son in 1990. While pregnant I was motivated to quit drinking and smoking for the obvious reasons and after my son was born I decided if I could abstain that long, I didn't really need those activities in my life.

A few years ago, after almost 20 years, I tried wine and discovered I really enjoy it. Probably because I upgraded from MAD DOG and Boone's Farm lol to Sangria and Pinot. Last night I enjoyed a few Long Island Ice Teas at the Mencia show. I am not quite the party animal I once was, as I am moving fairly slow today.

Recently I saw a quote somewhere...
"Yea, you are old. Get over it."


I will be 48 years old on Sunday. I don't know how this happened to me. In 1984 I remember feeling 30 was ages away! I was rolling along in life till about 45 and honestly birthdays didn't bother me much. The past few years I have seen the physical changes and I realize you can't really do anything to reverse what is happening. Sure you can eat clean, drink lots of water, take your supplements, but the sun damage, the wrinkles, the hair thinning, you can't control it, you just have to accept it and try to age gracefully.

I have shared this tidbit before but in case you missed it...

Celebrate your 30's! It is the best decade. Look in the mirror and tell yourself how damn good you look! Strut your stuff every so often. Enjoy your smooth skin, go without makeup and enjoy it, show off those muscles you work for and if there's anything you really want to do...just start! Being in your 20's and 30's is peak time in my mind, and you will enjoy being in your 40's more if you took life and lived it to the fullest in your 30's.

Time is precious.
♦ Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. ~Wayne Dyer
♦ You may delay, but time will not. ~Benjamin Franklin
♦ Every day of our lives we are on the verge of making those slight changes that would make all the difference. ~Mignon McLaughlin 

If I could share one thing I wish I would have done better in my 20' and 30's it's -  weight train. Weight train your arse off! Make muscle and eat enough protein, it will pay you back tenfold later in life, never ever think it's a waste of time. 

Till next time, 
Karen 

What's your favorite way to celebrate a birthday? 

19 comments:

  1. I am all about taking your advice because you look amazing!

    I love wine too, but my preferences are somewhat embarrassing.... I love a good moscato. My stepfather, a true wine connoisseur, must roll over in his grave every time I drink a glass. He tried so hard to refine my palate, but I like sweet grape juice, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with Moscato lol Thank you for your kindness :) ! run buddy told me today about how I need to accept where I am, but I am so close to 50 :( Some days are better than others.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had a great birthday! I love to celebrate with dinner and of course cake! I am not a big drinker anymore, but I do enjoy a random glass of red wine or a Corona with lime here and there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually skipped cake this year, my hubby bdy is next month so we can have cake for his :) I am trying to lose a little weight, I keep hovering but can't get over this latest hump :)

      Delete
  3. I love your advice, Karen. It is funny because I am starting to feel old. I look at pictures of myself in my 20s and am like.... dang. If only I knew that in 7 years I'm gonna have grey hair and wrinkles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl you are beautiful :) and you look amazing! I understand the darn grey, it's just a pain in the neck to keep covering it. I have to find a reasonable solution I can actually afford.

      Delete
  4. Happy Birthday Karen! You still look like you are in your 30s! And it's all about how you feel and act anyway, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes and some days are better than others lol

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday! I loved your tips for living through the decades. I'm not too far behind you... I just turned 40 this year and I agree with you, the 30s are the best. I hope what you said about your 40s being great if you really enjoyed your 20s and 30s is true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's really nice you got so much time with your hubby before you had children :) This will be an exciting time for you as you watch your babies grow. I think that's great :)

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday!! All about how you feel, only thing that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Working on getting stronger :) it makes me feel better.

      Delete
  7. Happy Birthday! I don't know, I think the 40's are pretty good... :)
    Favorite way to celebrate--with the hubby and kids, oh and a cannoli.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it!! Enjoy the 40's :) A cannoli sounds delightful!

      Delete
  8. Happy birthday! Even if I live in the wine country I am teetotal. I am almost 58 and I am a bit sad when I look back, I cannot do anymore many things I used to do.
    Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've had such a time with injury this year, I feel for you! I try not to be sad when I look back , but i admit at times I do wish I would have done some things a little differently...

      Delete
  9. Hi Karen! How are you?? I'm back, lol :)
    Great post, thanks! And a timely reminder for me, as going through a tough decision in my life at the moment, but you're right 'go for it, time doesn't stop etc' , we've got to enjoy now and live our lives fully and happily. Thanks :)
    Great photo too. Hope you had a blast, and belated Happy Birthday! I like celebrating my birthday by running or working out in the early morning (lame I know) and then drinking a lot later, hopefully with dancing involved. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have missed you Lou!!! I promise I will catch up soon with you. I am behind on all my blogs, this is right before school opens so things are busy. I am very anxious to read about your moving experience. I am glad you are back :)
      keep working on the tough stuff!

      Delete
    2. Have missed you too Karen! Looking forward to hearing all your news soon, but no pressure - don't stress, you sound very busy with work. Take it easy and don't be hard on yourself. Thanks, yeah, working through the tough stuff - tough but worth it I think. Take care Karen! All the best with the start of school! :) xx

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤