Monday, September 15, 2014

Sunday Run ~ If I feel Like...




Sunday I finally got out of bed and put my running gear on, after many taps to the snooze button. I was so excited it was finally cool, but I had lots of wine from our fun Saturday wine tasting event. (More about that in another post) I was still tying to sleep it off. 
My run started out rough- but I tried to ignore it and tell myself the weather was perfect and I felt great. It felt so crisp outside, but my body just felt heavy. My last few runs I have been struggling to get my feet going in a decent rhythm. I am having a hard time getting my knees up and my mind doesn't seem to relax, but I keep plugging along, it has to get better, right?! I am sure the wine didn't help and I made a mental note that it is time to dry out for a few weeks and get serious about my half training. 

About four miles in I remember thinking my goal of an hour and half wasn't going to happen. 

Then I saw my hubby biking toward me  ❤  He pedaled along with me and it helped to distract me from my heavy feet and poor form. I figured if he made the effort, I was going to keep plugging along slowly and try to make the most of the run.   






Hubby took a few short videos for me - he had to entertain himself since he was biking at my sluggish running pace



I ended up making it 1:25:00 - I only covered 8.2 miles but I'll take it. I could not wait to get home and get on my bike. Hubby and I went around our loop, which it just a little over a mile, and shook out my legs. 
I only ran 16 miles last week, and 13 miles the week before so I am really behind where my training guide says I should be. I keep hoping I will have a breakthrough run where I shed that sluggish feeling...soon!

How was your running this weekend?  Curiosity question-if you drink the day before a run do you think it has an impact on how energetic you feel? 

14 comments:

  1. I absolutely feel having several drinks the night before the run effects me. I didn't realize how much until I started making big dietary changes. Now, I really limit "junk calories", and it really does help.
    That is so nice that your husband road next to you on his bike! Great to have the support!
    Don't worry, it will "click"!
    I had a great weekend running in a Ragnar...and I have the sore legs to prove it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High five for a great Ragnar :) Used up legs is a great feeling sometimes

      Delete
  2. So sweet that he biked with you! I do think it does impact your running "oomph"... I always find that the day after I eat some avocado, I have awesome energy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so sweet that the hubby rode beside you. Adam would never have the patience to do that!

    I agree with everyone about, what you eat and drink the day before a run definitely has an effect. The day before a long run I try really hard to strike the right balance ... and I say no to wine! It's not always easy to say no, but it's worth it the next day when i'm running :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very sweet of hubby to come find me, about the time I wanted to give he showed up ;) I am going to say no for awhile now!

      Delete
  4. When it cools down more, it will feel easier to run. Just wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Karen! So awesome that your Hubby joined you! I would still increase your miles slowly to allow your body time to respond. It will remember!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right. I am making big jumps because I feel behind. I may try to just duplicate the miles this weekend and hope they feel better :)

      Delete
  6. If I overdo it on food and drink, my run definitely suffers. But as long as I don't stuff myself the night before and eat a good bfast, I am fine. Nice job on finishing a long run! You will slowly build up. Your hubby was sweet to ride beside you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels weird that I feel just like a newbie again...I have been on a roll with my eating and drinking lol I was glad hubby rode beside me ")

      Delete
  7. I don't think drinking effects my running at all. Weird, right?

    Love you, dude!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤