Thursday, September 18, 2014

Wine and Whine

I am dying to post...


Hopefully over the weekend this will come to pass.

Last weekend hubby and I went to a blind tasting wine event in Williamsburg, VA with Master Chef, Rhys Lewis


The tasting room was set up with covered cups that had everything from burnt toast to cut up oak in them to help us test out our sniffers. Hubby and I probably guessed about half of the scents. It's funny how some smells seem familiar but you can't place what it is without a visual clue. 

Chef Lewis hosts wine events regularly at the Williamsburg Lodge. Hubby and I agree his series,  Wine, Wit, and Wisdom is appropriately named. We thoroughly enjoyed hearing him speak about all aspects of wine making, and felt entertained, as well as a little more educated after the presentation. 

We had a lovely aged 2003 red wine that was an amazingly tasty treat for the palate.
We had samples of  Chardonnay, a sparkling white, a Sauvignon Blanc, and two reds, one of which was the 2003. 

When our glasses were empty they started refilling them and gave us cheese trays so we could pair the different flavors together. The refilling of the glasses continued as the pastry chef (love him) shared his homemade dark cherry truffles and cheesecake.  
I did try to manage my hydration (thinking long run the next day) and kept our server busy refilling my water glass.    

Sometimes balancing running and fun is a challenge.  Ideally I should have hydrated, ate healthy, and rested the night before a long run, but sometimes a gal just has to live, right. 

Hubby and I have never attended an an event like this and the experience was truly a wonderful way to spend an afternoon together.
Pastry Chef, server, and Master Chef 



It was a rainy humid day - perfect to be inside enjoying fine wines for a few hours. 

I haven't indulged in any wine since my fun wine tasting event last weekend and I am headed to the beach this weekend so hopefully that great long run is coming. I am tired of whining about how rough my runs have felt. 

Any fun weekend plans? Long run plans? Ever done a wine tasting like this one? 


10 comments:

  1. I agree, ya gotta live sometimes! I have never done a wine tasting. I used to love wine but I have moved on to scotch and tequila haha. I am sure I will go back to wine here soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried Scotch often, but I like good ol tequila too. The reds we had were amazing with the dark chocolate and cheesecake :)

      Delete
  2. You absolutely have to live sometimes! That sounds like a fun event. I love wine tastings, but I've never done one that organized. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny we have never visited a winery one. This was put together really well.

      Delete
  3. Ohh that blind test sounds really fun! I bet I would get everything wrong!

    I am excited for Sunday!!! I'll kick off the day with my first 5K since FEBRUARY and then FOOTBALL! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your football and running! Gosh, I hope I can get one good run in this weekend :)

      Delete
  4. I am terrible at guessing smells. But your event sounds like so much fun! So crazy to think that two weeks ago, I was driving right through Williamsburg as part of our vacation (we spent a week in the Outer Banks and then three days in Washington, D.C.). Now I can really appreciate the crazy humid weather you have out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were in my neck of the woods :) It is pretty hot still here...

      Delete
  5. Hi Karen! Hope you had a great run over the weekend or a great weekend anyway. This event looks awesome! Perfect nights feature wine and cheese together, haha. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤