Saturday, October 11, 2014

Attitude

I have heard so much over the years about how your inner dialogue and attitude impacts the quality of you daily life. 

My twenty year old voice was much more abrasive in comparison to my voice now. Most of my early life my inner voice focused on a list of imperfections and mistakes, and kept me thinking about them a good portion of everyday...what a waste, but the truth.

How many times have we all heard we need to reprogram past negative feelings with a conscious internal positive voice that will help you deal with yourself, your attitude, and the obstacles life throws at you.

My inner voice in relationship to running...

January 2015 will mark two full years of running for me. I began this journey at 46 years old...my inner voice said, "Are you kidding?"

It really wanted me to quit, it told me it was tooo hard to be that uncomfortable. My hip was burning constantly. I felt too heavy, I would get overwhelmed hearing my feet hit the ground and stop and walk. While running, I would think about how much it hurt, how hard I was breathing, how ridiculous I probably looked, the voice just wouldn't give me a break the first few months.

Then I read a blog...
The woman was a little older like me, had been running a little longer, but didn't start until later in life like me, and she had this thing...she talked all kinds of happy stuff to herself about finishing the journey, etc...

Boom! I was hooked on blogs and mantras and began to use self talk, (sometimes out loud even) as a strategy to help me get over the rough patches in a run and train that little voice inside to think, yes I can

Running is tough stuff, and for me all runs seem to hold a few challenging moments, even if it's a really good run. 


Now, my running voice encourages me, will celebrate the little victories, and ease the weight when things are not going so well; so when I hit a rough patch it doesn't have to ruin the whole run. 

Thursday after work I headed out to do a trail run, mostly because it cuts down on the time I am in the sun. It wasn't overly hot and I felt ready to roll. My goal was just an easy pace 45 minutes. (should be a cinch, right?)

Mile 1 - feeling pretty good
Mile 2 - felt an unusual amount of burning in my calves (hmmph) 
Mile 3 - struggling a bit, feeling unusually thirsty

Now, a year ago my run would have ended at mile three. Glad to say that is not the case about how I handle things now.

Mile 3 - decided to walk a few of the bigger hills and have a little internal dialogue



Runs can go from good to bad and vice a versa...faster than anything. That's why I just try to keep myself moving.


Mile 4 - the walk breaks helped, I guess I didn't drink enough water today...very thirsty
I still don't carry hydration for a lot of my runs...it can be troublesome at times.


There I am lapping water like a crazy person. Luckily the Rangers leave one rest room open in the park, but I have to run four miles to get to it


...and then two more miles happened :) 

Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary1:05:03.26.0510:46
110:26.81.0010:27
210:56.51.0010:57
312:13.81.0012:14
410:21.11.0010:21
510:13.31.0010:13
610:24.11.0010:24
7:27.60.059:41

After I got home, I ate and hopped on my bike for a quick 30 minute ride...I love my bike :) 

Friday, I had body aches and chills all day so I got into bed right after work. Stupid sickness is screwing up my work out schedule, but I needed the rest; a run this morning would have been too rough feeling that bad, so even though it's making me crazy...I am waiting until Sunday to do my long run

How's your inner voice? Does it need to give you a break sometimes? Or, am I just in need of an evaluation and maybe restraints :/ 
Do you experience these kind of challenges on runs, or am I just whiny? 

Hope everyone has a great weekend :)

26 comments:

  1. Wow... you're only at your TWO year running anniversary? From the running you do (and how you blog about it) it's like you've been running for TEN years. Applause, applause! I started running in my early 30s and it took me four or five years to eventually run a half marathon. My running was very sporadic until then. You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Marnie :) I loved your running story, its a great one and I am glad you shared it - I think it's how I found your blog if I remember correctly :) You've had so many neat running and life experiences, I like hearing abut it all.

      Delete
  2. I am super proud of you for accomplishing so much. I don't think you need an evaluation, but we can certainly discuss the restraints :)

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, now that's funny :) Be careful what you post, right ;) Love you ❤

      Delete
  3. I was really surprised to read this is only your second year of running - me too! You are so awesome and such a strong runner already, I wish I could keep up your paces for long runs.

    Those thoughts you had when you first started running, I had the same ones too. I wanted to run outdoors but I stayed confined to the treadmill for almost six months because I thought everyone outdoors would laugh at me for trying to run. I thought I looked like a total joke, but I kept going because it made me feel so good. Now I realize how silly I was to think everyone would negatively judge me.There are runners of all sizes, shapes and ages out there and everyone is just doing their thing - which I love!

    My inner dialogue can get me down sometimes - most of the time I feel really great about running. I think racing is what tends to get me down since I'm not great at it, which is why I have never done it often. But over the next year I really want to race more so that I get more comfortable with it - the more you do something the better you'll get at it, right? I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look at how MUCH you have accomplished in your journey. Last year just getting 13 miles was a challenge, this year it's still a challenge LOL I have lost about 15 lbs during this time, but I was seriously restricting my calories in the beginning because of my thyroids issue, which seems to be the same culprit that makes me over heat so easy. Even though I lost a little weight I still have days where I feel like my legs weigh a ton each...I think maybe that's all runners (?) You inspire me Kristina all the time and keep talking marathon it really is helping me to want to try. I am afraid mostly of injury because I really just enjoy my week to week routine. You are beautiful girl :) Inner dialogue - if it isn't happy shake it off :) Races are tough but you are going to be at it a bunch, I do think it will make it better, for sure :)

      Delete
  4. Attitude isn't quite everything but it is a huge part of it isn't it! Great job pulling through and having a fantastic run! I love that you are so young in your running journey, I think it is a great inspiration to runners everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christy :) I love that thought - at least I am still young in something lol I get a lot of inspiration from your posts and all the blogs I read.

      Delete
  5. I love this Karen. Runners can really learn from this. Just because it is tough doesn't mean you need to STOP. You gave yourself some walk breaks and boom you came back even stronger!!!! Having a good attitude can really make you push through when the going gets tough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan :) Today on my long run I looked at my time at the 10K point and got a little discouraged - I thought for a moment- I just won't do 12 miles it's going to take forever, but I was able to squash the attitude and I made 12 miles even if it wasn't speedy.

      Delete
  6. Great accomplishments and this is only the start! Keep on running.
    You are young, the best has to come.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our minds can be very mean sometimes. It has taken me a while but I have found some mental tools to help me when I want to give up. I'm like you, no matter how good a run is there are still points during it that I want to just stop/struggle with. Nice to know I'm not the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is good to know we aren't alone! Dig in and run happy Jen :)

      Delete
  8. I used to never run with water either but lately have been bringing my Nuun with me and that seems to help. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to find a way to carry something that doesn't make me crazy. I have a pack and a belt but I don't love either one. Still searching...

      Delete
  9. I tried to comment before but it didnt come up... so hopefully you wont get two.. but this means that this December will be 3 years for me! I cant believe it! The first 2 years I had that inner voice of "push through it", "you can do one more", etc.. in this 3rd year, and more recently, I've realized that the inner voice is so wrong! My innervoice was one of competitiveness and thats just not me.. Im a healthy weight, I eat better than 99% of people I know, and I exercise. Thats good enough for me... so now when I hear that voice I just say "shut it"! haha! And I go for a walk, or cycle, or just jog it out.. it has seriously affected my times but I'm such a happier runner, even if I havent been able to get out there much lately :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 3 years, you are a seasoned pro :) Make that voice always be nice to you! You will get out again soon because we are going to DISNEY!!!

      Delete
  10. How often we get distracted by the small things and miss out on the little things. I too worry about time/space/distance but at the end of the day I'm out running I Nguyen enjoying life and that is all that matters. Really needed this post today, great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Richard :) Think how far and much you done in such a short time :)

      Delete
  11. Love this post! It shows that running is truly mental and anyone can do it if they put their mind to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It sure is mental lol I feel I battle through it often!

      Delete
  12. I have always struggled with my inner voice...I think running is 10% physical and 90% mental. I often listen to podcasts from trail runner nation on my long runs. When they have a guest on they ask, "If you could take a 10% physical advantage in your next race, or a 10% mental advantage, which would you take?" I have yet to hear anyone choose physical...
    Those runs when I am negative are AWFUL--
    When I have a difficult day, I usually tell myself to do the first 2 miles, and then decide whether or not to throw in the towel. When I get there, I have usually turned it around enough to finish the workout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my days with that inner voice too, I hate when I come from running and feel worse, but it's happening less and less! I like your strategy - just get to two miles :) great idea!

      Delete
  13. 2 years?! I would have guessed much longer with your love for it and consistency! Awesome job Karen! I am a big fan on having a positive inner monologue in life. Having a good outlook really changes how your approach your day, challenges, and success. There are days though that it is hard to find the positive but I try to always look for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like a lot has happened for only being two years lol That's awesome Elisabeth :) Finding the positive is a great way to live! Sometimes I like to let myself gripe, but it doesn't do me much good. I am quicker to try to find the silver lining now :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤