Monday, October 27, 2014

Lots of Rambling About Headphones

This chick can not run without music. My attempts to do so are always short runs. I marvel at those who can go for an 8 miler or 18 miler and have nothing with them to listen too. It seems like madness to me. I need music for sanity :-)

Several years ago I used a pair of wireless Sony headphones and fell in love. Once you go wireless you can't go back. My Sony pair lasted through a ton of sweaty walks and hikes in my pre-running days. Eventually the charge port corroded and I had to replace them.

The Rocketfish pair my hubby gave me were very similar and super comfortable. They have put in quite a few service hours for a few years now. All my walking, running, and even some weight lifting sessions, but sadly Rocketfish discontinued this set.
Rocketfish wireless 


Eventually the buttons on these will get sweat corroded. They are at that stage now, sometimes the skip song button will work and sometimes it won't. The sound is still okay, but not as crisp as it was a year ago. I've also had to tape the speakers on to keep them in place. This type of behind the ear is very comfortable and stays in place better than anything I have ever tried for running. I love these headphones. 

So the search for a replacement set began...with a lot of frustration. The market is weak in wireless choices and many don't even come close to being comfortable or usable during exercise.

I purchased the Motorola HD flex wireless headphones and they were the worst things on the planet.
These things were junk...

The ear buds didn't come with different sizes and actually caused pain to my inner ear after a short time. Also the connectivity wasn't very good and just having my IPOD in my running belt hurt the connection. Every little turn of the head caused static.

Then I purchased


These were close, but they are so thick they block every bit of background noise out and it isn't safe outside in them. I do need to be able to hear cars. These are okay for the gym, and usable in a pinch though, but still not the answer. 

So the search continued...




I thought this pair was the answer. I ordered these and they seemed to fit nicely over my ear. These also came with all different size ear-bud caps and felt comfortable. As soon as I worked up a good sweat up though, the over the ear piece is so thick, it would wiggle up and fall off...so frustrating ! These came with a big price tag, I sent them right back and decided to try Yurbuds.  I thought they were answer until I ran in them ...same problem. I have pretty small ears, so as soon as I worked up a sweat the bud would just pop off my ear. Yurbuds are very comfortable, if the over the ear piece were thinner, they would have been perfect. 

At one point, I thought I better learn how to run without music, but that's not happening. 
I love listening to music and zoning out a little while running. Sometimes I enjoy my feet being synced with the rhythm, and the treadmill (speed-work), there's no way I could do it without music. If I am having a rough patch during a run, the right song can snap me out of it. I need music. 

Luckily, my hubby found a pair of my original Rocketfish (that are discontinued) and ordered me a new set, so when my old faithfuls die I will be in good shape. This particular pair is so comfy, has clear connectivity, has good sound quality, but you can still hear background noise easily when they are low (except for a Prius), and they never move once the are on. 
C'mon Rocketfish - start making these again. 
Sept. 2, 2013 - the same pair of headphones I am wearing today

Run buddy has the same Rocketfish set - she loves them too :) 

Wireless headphones and my IPOD touch are two things I need to run happy. I sure hope the market choices improve before my next set wears out. 

What do you run with? Does lack of music make for a very short run for you? Wireless fan or no? 

12 comments:

  1. I don't listen to music when I run as much as I used to, but I would still love to have a pair of wireless headphones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always used Skull Candy because the buds came in different sizes. But I'm frustrated how quickly I wear them out. I must run with music and need to try wireless. No idea which ones to try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wireless do cost quite a more but, I have found they last a really long time, sweat and all :)

      Delete
  3. My ears are small and must be oddly shaped because 99.9% of all earbuds I have tried pop right out of my ear. The only ones that stay in are the the ones that come with Apple products. I wish they were wireless because Cecil likes to chew on them and they are $30/piece to replace -- I probably have to replace them 3X a year due to bite marks! Cecil is lucky he has a cute face or I would be so mad at him! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg, you must hide the ear buds lol I think my ears must be wired too, i can't keep an ear bud in to save my life .

      Delete
  4. My headphones are not wireless but the are the kind that wrap around your ears. They always stay in place no matter how sweaty I get- as long as I have a headband on. The headband is the key. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I usually wear a visor or headband, wonder why I can't make that work :/

      Delete
  5. I am the oddball in that I do not regularly listen to music on my runs. For a long run I listen to a podcast, and I just put one earbud in and wrap the other around my bra strap so it doesn't bounce around. I feel claustrophobic with 2 in, and with music...yep, I am weird like that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow!! I wish I could do that, but i have found I just quit running lol

      Delete
  6. I agree! I cannot run without headphones either. Unless I am running eith someone. I have the yurbuds and haven't had a problem with them. They are slightly different then the ones you showed. Goodluck with find a pair that works for you. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you have something you enjoy! I will have to start the search again one day ;)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤