Wednesday, October 22, 2014

More Half Marathon Talk


I continue to work on my make it to the finish line plan. I revealed my expected time and the goal I have in the back of mind in my last post...
Based on my training, a good half marathon day day will be 2:15, but secretly I would love to beat my time from last year 2:13:03
 I did an interval workout last night. I didn't follow the plan exactly, I did it my way.

3 min. warm up
6 min. @ 9:13 pace
1 min. easy pace
6 min. @ 8:57 pace
2 min. easy pace
6 min. @ 8:41 pace
2 min. easy pace
4 min @ 8:32 pace

I do love the treadmill for hitting an exact pace.
I need to ease into these workouts, since I have been living in easy pace land.

One of my major goals will be not stopping to tinkle at all. I know it sounds crazy, but it really bugs me that I lost a minute last year because I couldn't make it. I have struggled with this on every training run. I wanted to try to push through it, but seriously, I couldn't convince myself to feel that uncomfortable. My last two long runs I got my tinkle stops under 30 seconds, but going in a port of potty will take longer. Can you picture me in Depends race day?

Twenty three days isn't long and I can't help myself...I wonder if I've done enough, and what will benefit me most before taper week.


A look into my busy brain:

Irrational taper fear #1 - I always think my body will forget how to run. I know that's silly because I will be stronger for the rest, but I can't help it.
Irrational taper fear #2 - My legs will have the tight feeling I sometimes get after a rest day. My first run out after a rest day isn't always my best run sometimes, it's the next day...
Irrational taper fear #3 - I will gain weight and feel heavier on race day and it'll screw me up.
Irrational taper fear #4 - Thinking that one more run may give me something I need or missed during training.
Irrational fear #5 - Since I don't have a time goal (but secretly I really do), I shouldn't really taper, just treat it like every other week.


Rational fear #1 - the weather will suck
Rational fear #2 - sickness
Rational fear #3 - something will randomly hurt race day
Rational fear #4 - I will sleep through my alarm and miss the whole thing

So taper race week plan:

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
30 min.  run

25 min.  run

15 min.  run
Race day

The plan calls for no cross training at all. Monday or Tuesday is screaming for a good upper body work out, don't you think?

Looking back:
These are what my tapers have looked like in the past. I don't know what I was thinking before the 5K?

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday
rest
5k run w/floor exercises
rest
rest
15 min. run
10K race day PR 


10K run
1.5 mile walk
3 mile progression run hour of upper body weight training
rest
rest
15K race day
12 seconds off PR

4 mile run 1.5 mile walk
rest
5k at pace
2 miles easy pace
1.5 mile walk
rest
1 mile run hour upper body
7 mile run
5k race day
PR pace but course was short


I have been working on strong finish long runs. A few weeks it worked out great, I felt good and was able to pick up the speed the last two or three miles. However, I've had a few runs that I wanted to pick it up, but my body, no matter how hard I tried to dig, wouldn't do it.
It feels more natural for me to set a decent pace, then push when I feel good and back off when needed. This usually results in a few slower miles, but I can't always be guaranteed I will have something left for the end. Last year during my half I wanted to pick it up the last mile so bad, but I couldn't find a drop of energy, I ran my last mile at a 10:35 pace. Fast finish runs do not come natural to me, it's something I am working on.



Thoughts? - should I add my weight work outs in taper week? Does the amount of running seem right for taper week?  have you ever had to take a pit stop during a half marathon?
Are you good at finishing fast? if so what's the secret?

My plan calls for a 10K pace run a week before race day (last long run) I am good with that.

The week before that, it only calls for (hours) 1:45 run, which for me would be 10ish  miles. I am leaning toward changing that to a two hour run, so 12ish miles that week...thoughts?

13 comments:

  1. I always have irrational fear #2 as well! I think it really helps to do a short run the day before and a warm up on race day (even if it's just walking for 1/2 mile to mile to get loose). That always makes me feel better!

    I see that your kitties and Cecil have the same exact thought process :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! you know how kitties are -it's all about what have you done for me lately:) I should be walking a lot to get my wave, you are right that should help. Now i need my brain to tell my legs they are ready lol

      Delete
  2. OMG. Irrational Fear # 1 is so me. I usually rest two days before a half but do agree you need to walk around a little before the race. I wouldn't do weights...I'm afraid it would make me sore. But its different for everybody! Do what is familiar and feels right to you. You will rock it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as you race you still get that way?! I guess it's somewhat normal to worry, huh? I do love my weights :)

      Delete
    2. If you normally do weights, I'm sure you still can. I couldn't! LOL. I'm trying to actually train for my next half and am having trouble following the plan. It called for 3 easy miles today. I didn't want to stop! Perfect weather. What does your plan say for your long run this weekend?

      Delete
  3. Your taper looks awesome if that is what you are comfortable with. I don't like to run the day before a race, but some people like to so they get loosened up and stuff. But as a whole, that is probably the perfect amount of running for a taper week! As for adding weights, I wouldn't add lower body weights. You want fresh legs. I understand your fears... I have the same fears and often dream about sleeping in and missing a race! Oh, and I usually have to pee A LOT. I always pee during a marathon and I think I have always peed during halves too. You may think this is crazy but if there is a port o john line I just squat behind the port o john. That is, as long as there aren't a million people around. I would prefer to go behind a tree and only lose like 15 seconds rather than wait in line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad it's not just me, I went to the port of potties like 6 times before my 15K race lol I went and literally went to the back of line and worked my way up again. I have those quick breaks down around my neighborhood route because there are plenty of places I can duck quick, but running the course in Richmond I won't have that luxury :( I will rest from legs for sure that week.

      Delete
  4. I think your taper/pre-race week looks great! I have never tried running the day before, but I have heard that some people swear by it, so go for it! Enjoy, your going to do awesomely!!! :)
    ps - I don't want to add to your list by any means, but I always have the irrational fear that if I do any strength training, ie. lunges, getting close to race day, that I may do something awkward and strain something pre-race. So, I avoid strength training in that week too, but surely with upper body work there's a lot less chance of leg injury. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I will see how I feel that week, the debate whether to run the 15 min. before a race always gets to me lol I am hopeful this will all turn out well!

      Delete
  5. I personally try to stick to just running leading up to a big race. Then again I really hate strength training lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in the midst of all those rational and irrational thoughts in my taper (3 more days!). I eliminated strength training this last week (although I am a "light weight" anyway!
    I think the last long run is more about the time and effort than distance.
    The day before the race I do like to go for an EASY 2 miler with a couple of strides in the middle, more for confidence than anything else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just 3 days to your marathon...exciting!! :) I like the idea of an easy short run, it gives you the itch for more. I like the strides idea. I always try to do some extra stretching too.

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤