Sunday, October 5, 2014

Wishing Isn't All Bad

Saturday I set out to do my long run.  It was SO humid...(sigh) all the talk about the weather had been about how cold is was going to get this weekend, so my disappointment was great when I realized the cold front hadn't come in yet. 

I love starting in the dark 

I bagged it at 4 miles, and decided to wait to until Sunday morning to long run. It was a hard decision to put it off, but the right one. 

Sunday before I started my run, 10 miles was my target, but I wished I could do 12. It was freakin' freezing when I started running. It took me 3 miles to get my hands warm, I probably could have used gloves. 
My cold legs - shorts ended up being fine for 40 degrees once I got rolling

I was so cold, but my legs actually felt pretty good, somewhere along the journey, my wish took root and it seemed quite reasonable I could run farther than 10 miles. My plan of action - just keep running further from my house. 

Wishing is sometimes associated with day dreaming and lack of action, but it is actually the opposite. 
Sometimes a wish is a seed, and seeds can be sown.
Sometimes a wish can shape your plan of action.
Wishing on a star
12.05 miles in 2:05 for an avg. pace of 10:23 with a 311 ft. elevation gain. It's a moderately hilly route.

My legs were really stiff when I got done running, but I walked a little, did some stretching, and I think I am good now. 



Did a little carb loading the night before my long run


I forgot to tell you about a few random things from September...

While hubby and I were at the beach we saw a biker roll into a busy street without pausing, and yes he ended up getting rolled onto the hood of the car and landed in the middle of the street. 
The biker's response, "It's all good, just give me a minute..." It FREAKED us out, as well as the driver of the car, but he was kept saying he was fine and told the driver to relax, he had been hit before...
Really?!!?, you roll into traffic w/o braking on a regular basis, I guess stuff will happen.
...is there a substance issue going on here?

Also in VA Beach we got to experience F14 Tomcat's flying over the beach parallel....


Like this! but this is not our photo



of course we couldn't get a camera out in time, they are super fast and LOUD! Awesome :) You can feel the rumble go right through you. 


Hope everyone had a great weekend! I feel a recovery bike ride will be in my plans later. 
Hubby's shadow :) 



Anyone ever wish themselves into a few extra miles? Are you a believer in carb loading a little before long runs? 

Is Saturday or Sunday usually your long run day? It was hard to "wait" until Sunday!

18 comments:

  1. Always YES to Carbo loading! :D I do my long runs on Sundays usually. Great job on the running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your September "extras". What was with that cyclist?!

    And glad to hear you got your 12 mile run in...I still remember your post about needing to take that break earlier in the week... sounds like your legs benefitted from the rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rest day was needed for sure :) I couldn't believe it when he said this wasn't the first time he had been hit...craziness lol

      Delete
  3. Saturday is usually my long day but I will do it on either day. I just love to get out on the weekend! I am so glad you got your long run in with those extra miles and are feeling good! The weather here was nice on Sat. but then Sunday it seemed cold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It wasn't my fastest run, but it did feel good! It was very nippy Sunday :)

      Delete
  4. Sunday is my long day...Saturday is FILLED with my kids games/meets.
    That crazy cyclist is who gives cyclists a bad name!!
    Glad you wished yourself over 12 miles--good job!
    I am not a big carbo loader...I just try to stick with the usual--nothing spicy, no wine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fun busy with the kids :) I do abstain from the wine (till I can't take it) , it really does make a big impact in my energy levels.

      Delete
  5. Whaaaat that is crazy about the cyclist! I wonder if he is a masochist and that's his thing? Because it just doesn't make sense otherwise... and like Cheryl said, it gives cyclists a bad name. I mean imagine if he had been hurt, that driver would have felt so guilty even though it wasn't his fault.

    Way to go on the big run!!! You're definitely getting your running mojo back!! I can't believe it's so cold where you are already. It wasn't even that cold in Portland, much to my dismay! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the cyclists was buzzed and had some fairly impaired judgement, but who knows?! Congrats on being a marathonerrrrrrr!!!!!! I don't feel back yet, but I do feel better: The cold never lasts here, it was 80 + degrees today and tonight is may make to the low 60's, but it was fun to feel the cold again!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Karen Go! I'm loving on this cold weather myself. Our cold spell is only here for a few days, but it was fun to pull out all the cold gear! Great job. Being stiff is expected a bit after the long ones. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I was really sore last week, but this week seems strangely better lol I am still going to rest today though, I worked out pretty hard last night. Hopefully we will get some cool weather again this weekend :)

      Delete
  8. Awesome re: the long run, Karen!! I love what you wrote about wishing too. So true. I do like to carb load a bit before a long run. Or, I use it as an excuse to eat more, and then if I'm debating with myself whether I actually will get up in the morning, sometimes I'll remind myself of said carb-loading and that usually does the trick and gets me up and outta there. I prefer Sundays as my longer run day. I think from when my Dad used to go for a run, for some reason I think it was a Sunday thing? But actually could have been a Saturday or any other day, my memory's not great on this. Anyway, there's something comforting and reassuring about having a 'Sunday run', if that makes sense. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lou :) I do the same thing with the eating, I tell my self I can't miss now...I ate for it lol The only hard thing about Sunday for me is that it means no wine Sat. night lol Your dad was a runner?! That's an interesting question, i wonder now about everyone's influences in fitness.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My long runs are usually on Fridays! I often ride bike at the ocean front but it is a little scary riding in all that traffic down there. Glad that guy was okay ( or seemed to be).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is super busy! We were there off season and it was crazy! Strangely enough he seemed okay, it made my heart beat way too hard.

      Delete
  11. I'm a HUGE believer in carbo-loading. Mainly because I just love carbs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) mee too, lots of yummy things are full of carbs

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤