Sunday, November 16, 2014

American Family Fitness Half Marathon

Like my outfit? lol My sweet hubby rode me downtown, and gave up an old pair of jammies so I wouldn't freeze. 

I did shed a layer right before the start of the race.



Waiting at the start line, I panicked that twice wasn't enough trips to the port of potties, so I darted over to see about a third trip. The line was huge and I had about 4 minutes till my wave left, so I hopped back in the group and tried to tell myself I was being ridiculous, I was fine. 


It was about 34 degrees at the start. I did some skipping, stretching, and walking, but no real run before the start, but I could tell my legs were feeling pretty spunky. 

Waiting at the start line, I was thinking about Elisabeth's recent post about her PR marathon, and how she adjusted her plan during her run, and about how nothing earth shattering happened when she picked up the pace, so she kept going. Her post about her sub 4 marathon is great :) Give it a click, it is sure to make you smile. 

So, while standing at the line, inspired by EB's post, I plotted a race strategy (always the best time) and decided just go with the flow. Get it while you feel fresh, and recover when needed. I haven't run a sub 60 10K since last May, but I felt like I could reasonably be at the 10K point in an hour, it wouldn't burn me out, and it would help my overall time.

I took off and it was cold, so I went quick enough to try to get my blood flowing.  Mile one was my fastest mile lol Freezing helped me shave a minute off my typical pace. 


About a mile and a half in, I heard my name...which surprised me, it was the friend I ran with at the beach for one of my training runs. She snapped this :) She said it was blurry because I was running so fast lol

Mile two, three, four, five, I felt pretty good, just cruising along. Mile six a clock was set up at the 10K point, I checked my Garmin and knew I had made my hour goal, 1:00:25. I was in a good mood.

Bryan Park till about mile nine is the hilly section of the course, so I knew I would slow down some, but even if I ran a 63 minute 10K I knew I could come in under 2:13:03, my time I wanted to beat. 




                       
All the hydration action happened at mile eight. I didn't want to drink too early and I didn't want to wait till I was totally spent (usually mile 10 or 11 for me) so I picked mile eight. 

I actually walked through the stop so I could get my powerade down. I took a swish of water, and to my delight a family had a beer table set up a few steps away, so I enjoyed a good swig of  beer. So tasty! 
I took off easy pace for the next mile because I didn't want to get a cramp. I don't hydrate often while running, so I am not used to it. 

Mile ten 

I saw Kenny hanging out at mile ten and it gave me a serious happy boost.  I also knew I was close to mile twelve, which is all downhill and I was really looking forward to that. 
Santa was hanging out at mile eleven and I remember running by him thinking, I should pick it up now, but my body just wouldn't respond. I tried not to worry about it and just pushed on, downhill is coming...downhill is coming...I kept telling myself. Finishing any race course downhill is a fantastic idea :) 

The downhill section was the boost I needed, I kicked it up a notch and went, and I have the awful race photos to prove it. The faces I make when I am serious running are horrendous lol I can not decide if I am going to purchase them. 

I crossed the line and called Kenny, and he was only a few minutes away. The city had closed roads all over, and when he left mile ten to try to get the finish, he never made it. Stuck in traffic. I ran up the hill and hopped in his car, no post race food or anything lol The island where the post race party was happening was packed, and the finish line area was packed, and honestly I was glad to get out of the crowd. 


.
With my blanket and medal post race


That's my, "I am freezing, snap the picture face!"

Guess where I went for lunch - Waffle House
Super healthy and delicious (Yea, right)!
Seriously best eggs and hash-browns ever.

Oh, my finish time 2:10:06  ♥ ♥ 

My official 10K split was 1:00:22 
That means I can run easy  paced  happy  all winter now! 
I beat my best half time from last winter.

How was your weekend? How much do you hydrate for 13.1? Ever tried a swig of beer during a run :) 

30 comments:

  1. Congrats!!!! That's awesome. I love waffle house after a race. (I even blogged about it). I hope I can do as well as you at Route 66 next week. I stop for a few sips every 3 or 4 miles when it's cold. Never tried beer during a race. Just afterwards. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you will do great for your race :) I have to find your Waffle House post lol It really was yummm. I love a beer after a long run. Thank you!!

      Delete
  2. Whooooooo!!! Way to go, Karen!!! That's awesome! I love your mile 10 picture you look amazing!

    I've never had a mid-race beer, but I don't drink beer anyway. I think all beer tastes and smells like dirty socks LOL. I'd much rather had a mid-race moscato :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you :) I was so happy when I saw Kenny at mile 10, it was a great boost for me. Oh my, I will think about dirty socks now the next time I drink a beer LOL I swear it tasted better than the powerade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! I had a feeling you would do well:) Glad you enjoyed the race, PRed and felt good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn :) It couldn't have turned out better! Hope you had a fun day!

      Delete
  5. Wow, sounds like it was a fun race! But 36F is cooooooold! That sounds like you were covered up just right for the race (never thought about an old pair of pajamas!) and I had to laugh at your concern about a 3rd bathroom break because that is one of my biggest worries: have I emptied my bladder sufficiently?

    Great race recap! I really enjoyed reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was a fun race. I was worried because last year when I ran the half I had to pit stop at mile 12 lol mile 12,...ugh, I just couldn't make it and lost a minute. My big goal this year was no stops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen this is AWESOME!!! You PR'ed and felt strong doing it! You look so fresh faced in your 10 mile photo! :) I am so happy you reached your goal and I hope you are basking in the PR glory!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It turned out to be a great day. It's amazing how freeing meeting a goal is. I can relax and enjoy my winter now lol I was so happy to see Kenny along the way :) I have to credit him for my big smile.

      Delete
  8. Congrats!!! I love this post! You did awesome. Way to be confident in your training and realize how strong you are. You look so happy in all the photos, obviously you were having a great time. I am so flattered you found my storing inspiring. It is the best complement that it inspired you to kick some butt and get a great new PR!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I was so glad I read that post Friday afternoon :) I was standing there thinking - why am I afraid to push it a little and I made the decision to believe that even if I got tired I wouldn't stop :)

      Delete
  9. Great job! You look so happy during your race. I think I would have tried the sip of beer during the race too. Did it help? (However, judging by the way I manage to get Gatorade all over me...I would really smell bad after the race!) I LOVE the striped socks!!
    Now you get to relax and celebrate--maybe something fancier than a beer in a plastic cup..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl :) The striped socks are injini and are a heavier weight, they were perfect to keep my toes warm. As cold as it was my toes felt good. The beer tasted really good! I just took one good swallow, but the fizz was nice, it really did taste better than powerade lol Who knew?! I actually enjoyed a nice glass of Stella Rosa last night :)

      Delete
  10. Awesome race! Never tried beer mid run, I'd be afraid that I would stop and have to call the wife to pick me up there lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I feel pretty content today. Ha!! No drunk running allowed, just a sip :)

      Delete
  11. Congrats on a great race! I can't believe people give beer out at races. I think it's so funny. And always thought who would take that? Well I guess you:) I don't think I could keep that down during a race. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Took it on a whim, the family cheered so loud every time someone took a sip it just made me smile lol I saw folks on lawns handing out whole cups of beer and bloody marys lol

      Delete
  12. Congrats on a great race! That medal looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know how you managed wearing a skirt in such chilly weather. Brr! Congrats to you on beating your time from last winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so worried I may have to pit stop I was determined to wear my skirt- it's easier lol Thanks goodness I just kept going :)

      Delete
  14. I love this post! Great job...and I do think being cold helps you run faster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jen :) I agree, cold is great motivation!!

      Delete
  15. CONGRATS! Haha loving the pj pants ;D Also funny to see how everyone else was wearing long pants while you were rocking your purple little skirt ;D

    A beer table?! Hahah say what?! xD

    I'm not used to drinking while running either. Normally on my long runs I take a little sip of water here and there, but nothing extreme. When I ran the Oslo half maraton in August I drank a lot though.. For some reason they didn't have bananas or anything, so I had to drink some random sports drink with my water and omg that was not too great. Long story short, I threw up a couple times in my mouth after every water station. I'm not used to sugary drinks..

    2:10:06 is AMAZING *big applause for you*
    I hope I can get that on my next half marathon :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you!! The pj's really helped keep me warm :) Having a gurgley feeling while running is the worse, I don't think I could do sugary drinks either. I hate carrying a water pack with me when I am running, that is one of the reasons I worry about trying to train for a whole marathon, I will have to get used to carrying some kind of hydration. I have to admit the fizz in the beer felt so refreshing, how weird, right LOL

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations Karen!! That looked cold! Nope, never tried beer during a race but I'm a definite fan of it the night before and the afternoon after a race... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou! Love a beer after a run :) It was pretty darn nippy lol

      Delete
  18. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It is the old what goes around comes around routine. phenq at gnc

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all,.. Joseph

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤