Thursday, December 18, 2014

And the Winner is...

Strides 

This is turning into my favorite workout of the week. 
The short fast bursts = rainbows and sunshine in my head. 



"With high endorphin levels, we feel less pain and fewer negative effects of stress. Endorphins have been suggested as modulators of the so-called "runner's high" that athletes achieve with prolonged exercise. While the role of endorphins and other compounds as potential triggers of this euphoric response has been debated extensively by doctors and scientists, it is at least known that the body does produce endorphins in response to prolonged, continuous exercise."


A mile and half in my legs felt warm and ready to go. I really tried to focus on holding my strides a consistent speed and distance. Those short pick ups are really energizing and make a quick spike in your hear rate, but the best thing is, they take me to that endorphin filled happy place.  



I got about twelve decent strides in; some were a little slower and a few, I belted out pretty strong. I know it's kind of like cheating, but seeing the speedier splits makes me smile too. 



I did have some tightness in my left calf, that I didn't feel till the last mile of my run, but it was feeling better within an hour. A little stretching and easy walking at the gym made it feel a lot better. 


Look at my happy workout partner :-)

My hubby's hours at work were cut (booo) but, it enabled him to change shifts (yaaaaa!), so he's home with me at night now, and we started working out together  

We spent about an hour doing a light upper body work out...and then I came home and chowed :) whistling the whole time lol (I'm kidding) 
Sweet endorphins :0)

So, if you need to feel like a superhero, or need a little boost, throw a few strides in.  


When was your last awesome runner's high? have you noticed a little speed work helps you to get to that happy place? 

Thanks for stopping by! Hope you have a great weekend! 

18 comments:

  1. Your runner's high is palpable Karen!! I am smiling on your behalf!! That's awesome! Have a great weekend Karen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ♥ strides too. :)
    It's fun to hit the gas pedal! I'm excited to see you're marathon training. You'll be happy with what these do for your running!! So fun!!
    Sorry about your hubby's hours, but I'm glad you're getting time together at the gym! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun Raina :) Sometimes a little gas is good lol I love time with the hub :) Merry Christmas to you :)

      Delete
  3. I confess, I have not run much this week. I need a major shot of endorphins! It looks as if you've got this stride thing down to a science. Keep it up! Hope you have a wonderful weekend. (I'm going to do my best to get back in gear.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those endorphins help lift the mood so much :) You will be back into it soon!

      Delete
  4. So awesome, when you find a workout you love there is nothing wrong with repeating it over and over lol. I haven't run in a week, boooooo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you have a better week soon, you just needed a little rest ") I will be doing this one over and over I think;)

      Delete
  5. www you and the hubby, so cute!

    I love speed work. Love it love it love it. Running fast is such a thrill for me! I have started doing a speed interval workout once a week. I usually do them on the treadmill, since I can't really get to a track this time of year. Intervals are basically just longer strides!

    PS, it's not cheating when strides make your pace better! If you ran a mile in 9:24, you ran it in 9:24, doesn't matter how you got there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that!! You are right I did it even if I can't it on a "normal' run! i love intervals too, but I was icing a lot when I was doing them regularly, I agree though I loved seeing the speedier paces. Going fast is its own thrill for sure :)

      Delete
  6. That's a bummer that your hubby's hours got cut but the trade off is pretty good!!!! :)

    I think one of the best things about throwing strides into the middle of a mile is that it makes your non-stride pace feel suddenly like it's just so easy! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true! I felt like my recovery pace is real easy lol I am so glad hubby will be home with me - it's something we've never had.

      Delete
  7. I don't do speed work often but when I do I can definitely tell yhe difference during my runs. Have a great weekend. -L

    ReplyDelete
  8. I needed to read this! I am doing tempo this am and not feeling motivated! But it will be worth it for the runner's high!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the right spirit to enjoy the workouts! Now I cannot do any kind of speedwork, I live my running day after day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am trying to find ways to feel great and not hurt. I hope you continue to heal Stefano :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤