Thursday, December 4, 2014

Step One

I am still here, I promise :)  I am trying to catch up reading through posts, I hate feeling like I've missed something!

To marathon or not? That has been the pressing question on my mind since the half.
I finally took a step and signed up to start meeting with a marathon training group on Saturdays for long runs. It means a bit of a drive and early runs, but I felt it was a must have, if I am going to try to run for more than two hours. It starts this Saturday and the forecast....rain. LOL yaaaa, fun right?

I am super nervous, and just hope I can somewhat keep up. I am sure I will be one of the slowest in the group. Some folks are training for Boston (I will be in their dust) and the Shamrock http://www.shamrockmarathon.com/  
I actually have a buddy from work who is doing the training team, but she's quick too! Check out her awesome Turkey Trot time. 

Robyn is training for her first marathon

I haven't officially signed up for a race, but I do have a few March (15th, 21st, and 22nd) options I am looking at, if the training goes well. Before I make the decision, I think I should actually do some long runs and see how I feel. 

Belief - there's part of me that really believes running that long is more than I am capable of. If I ever actually finish a marathon running, I promise I will be shocked. I have considered running to the half distance, and then switch over to 4 X 1 Galloway method. I am not making any hard fast decisions until I see how training goes.
I continue to be challenged with some health issues...mentioned in this Half Planning Post, but I keep trying to push on :)  

My hubby put a tree up this year, seemed a little crazy in a house full of cats, 
but I love looking at it :)

Have a great week, 
Karen 

18 comments:

  1. YOU...CAN...DO....IT. you will slowly gain the confidence with this training group, you will see. Plus just being around the others training will give you the itch to sign up lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep repeating those four words to myself :) I figure by the new year I will make a decision.

      Delete
  2. You can do it--I remember early on and through a lot of my marathon training thinking, "how am I going to do this for X number of miles???" But, the training takes you through it, and gets you there.
    Commit to the training, and you've got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I survive getting past 13.1 it'll make me feel better lol Fingers crossed :)

      Delete
  3. You can do a half. I do at age 61... you have to take it slooow and believe that you can. Now a marathon...that's where I hesitate. I need convincing there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 13.1 was very challenging for me! I have only done 3 half marathons, I will see if training convinces me I can hang for 26.2 :)

      Delete
  4. I've been wondering where you've been. I'm doing a marathon in 2015 too but haven't picked it yet. Also looking at March. Who knows, it might be the same one. We can train together...virtually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. March seems like a great time to shoot for, then you miss out on having to train in 90 degree heat :) It would be great to train virtually!

      Delete
  5. You're crazy if you think you CAN'T do it because you totally can!

    I was soooooooo scared to join a running group because I thought there was no way anyone would run at my pace, but I have gone for a group run (just once though) and there were lots of people who ran my pace! The only reason I haven't gone back is because the group run made me realize how much I enjoy running in silence LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You crack me up, I have totally wondered if I group run if I will miss my silence. I am still not running as strong as last winter, so trying to talk will wear me out. lol maybe I can just listen. Fingers crossed I have some run buddies.

      Delete
  6. You are very brave with that tree! We gave up last year, no more trees for us. :( I love your new signature, too. :) Running a marathon is a big decision, but if you truly want to do it, I know you will put the training in and git 'er done!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I told Kenny! LOL so far they haven't dumped it :) Maybe since my furry babies are all a little older it's working. The desire is there for sure, just not sure about the rest of me yet.

      Delete
  7. You can do it- just take it a day at a time with me and see how you feel. No pressure running is for fun not stress:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true :) I am excited to try to tackle some longer runs and take it one step at a time.

      Delete
  8. Ug, rain here too for this weekends long run! I think you can absolutely do a marathon. It's all about what your goal is for the race.You have a strong base with several half marathons and understand the concept of what training takes (long runs, cross training, strength training). That said, the marathon does take more time to prepare for and in the beginning that was one of the bigger challenges for me. Once I got in a rhythm it was all good. Don't sell yourself short. Training with a group is a great way to tackle your first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the words of encouragement :) I am very nervous about trying to figure out fueling and the amount of time this will take, but I am willing to try.

      Delete
  9. I think half the battle is deciding to do a full. Once you decide then you will do it! I'm proud of you...it's a leap I haven't been able to wrap my head around yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been very resistant to the idea and have just kind of believed I really can't. For some reason I just asked myself, how do you known you can't if you won't even try...all I can do is try, hoping the belief will come soon lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤