Sunday, December 14, 2014

Strides

Strides should be about 100 meters, which equals 0.0621371 in miles  

which I discovered takes me about 25 - 26 seconds

 time   :25.8distance   0.06avg. pace   7:00



I don't think it needs to be a perfect science, but I had to figure it out to make sure I was in the ballpark. 

Here's the link to a good short article if you want to take a look. Most sources seem to recommend you do strides at the conclusion of a run, but I am doing them randomly through out my run. If you know any reason why I shouldn't fill me in! 

I didn't decide to add strides into my routine because I am worried about my time for my first marathon. I just want to wake up those fast twitch muscles, and work on making my overall running stronger, which, of course, I hope will help me to cross the line on marathon day. 


I did random strides for my Thursday night run. You can see on my pace chart I managed about six good attempts at really upping the speed.   I don't feel I held the first few for as long as I should, so maybe next week, I will try to actually use my Garmin, or count in my head, and be sure to click off closer to 30 seconds each time, but I have plenty of weeks to try to master this a little more.  It did help me to improve my average pace a little, and I felt really good when I hit the four mile mark. 




My splits looked a little speedier than anything I've seen in awhile
Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary38:58.04.019:43
110:09.01.0010:09
29:43.61.009:44
39:24.41.009:24
49:35.71.009:36
5:05.30.0110:27


In fact, I was feeling so spunky after my work out, I walked a few minutes and decided to run an all out mile. I do this every now and again to see how I do.  It does engage different muscles than easy paced running, and the strides had me feeling pretty good...and I ran a PB best for me, 8:36:33 

My best mile during a race is 8:40 (a 5K). I can not sustain that kind of pace for any significant length of time. Trust me, I marvel at you all that have done for a marathon, or a half, or you crazy people that can run sub 45 10k's - when I run that fast, all I can think is, "How the heck do they do it?!" 

I am just working off a novice marathon training plan, but I do have a short threshold run on the calendar each week, and my stride work out is what I will probably do to fulfill the faster pace work, and leave the more formal interval and progression runs out of the mix. Last winter I did a lot of speed work, and I did get faster, but I was also hurting a lot more, so this may be the perfect answer for me as I up the mileage in the weeks to come. 

The best part of this workout, my legs only feel slightly tired the next day, not sore, achy, or in need of ice.

Have you done your strides recently? 
Do you ever go out and run a mile as hard as you can? 

Go ahead and try it out and let me know what you think! 

16 comments:

  1. I've never tried a mile by itself. I've hit 8:00 a few times within a 5k or 8k. I do 400 to 600 repeats around 7:20. I too marvel at those that can sustain that. It nearly kills me. You are doing great with your strides! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Races where you see a PR mile are always a good feeling :) I think strides may be the answer for me for this training time, much easier on my legs :)

      Delete
  2. Good job on incorporating strides into your workout. I never do that. I only run a really fast mile if I ever have to get a quick workout in. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few runs right before dark I have got a good mile in because I was trying to get done lol Sometimes needing a quick work out is good motivation :)

      Delete
  3. I don't and I should. I've only been in the 8's for a few 5ks. Sometimes I run fast at the end just to finish my run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to try to finish fast, but it doesn't always work for me...just depends on the day :)

      Delete
  4. Your training plan and mental attitude preparing for the marathon is awesome and inspiring! Makes me wish I currently had something to train for and was following a training plan. Well done on your mile pb! That's awesome! I haven't gone out and run a mile as fast as I can, the most I've done lately in terms of speedwork has been about 2-300 metres nearing the end of my runs, oops... And now I'm running on the snow I have my 'excuse' of taking every run steadily and easily (i.e. no speedwork). Go Karen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lou :) I still have some fears I can't do this, but I am trying to ignore them. You fast mile is probably something like four and half minutes lol be careful snow running!

      Delete
  5. Whoo! Glad you're enjoying the strides and kicking butt out there!

    I don't think it's a problem to do strides in the middle of a run. My coach now puts them at the end of my runs, but my former coach used to put them in the middle. I think it may be a personal preference type of thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad to hear that about your coach!! I really do like just kind of randomly throwing them in and recovering. It feels different depending how far into the run you are and I kind of get to play with how much I need to slow up to feel recovered :)

      Delete
  6. Great workout. As tough as speed work is, it helps so much. Plus with long stay runs, it's nice to see some fast splits click off on your watch lol.

    I bypassed my speed work last week since we were racing, so should get back at it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, It is always nice to see some faster splits :) you are right, it really does help. Have fun with that speed work this week.

      Delete
  7. I've never done strides during a run, and I've actually never ran an all-out mile either. Just one of those little running chores I never really got around to! My fastest mile on record is a 7:10 that I ran during my 5K PR in July.

    I've found that strides are great for warm-up and that's when I usually do them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strides would be a good warm up :) On really cold mornings I have also skipped lol because i warm up quicker than walking. That's a speedy mile you clocked!

      Delete
  8. Great job Karen! I don't officially do strides but I do small pace pickups during runs to beat red lights, or get around crowds on sidewalks etc. I think it works out. I've never gone out and run a mile. I have trouble pushing the pace at short distances because I am so use to running longer ones. Might have to be a New Year's resolution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do a lot of small pickups during a run too. Keeps it interesting! I am always kind of testing how hard can I push without burning myself out to a walk, I am getting better at pushing and just slowing down to recover :) I am not sure why I do it, I guess to just feel like I am trying something different.

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤