Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Training Team and Strides

I really,  really appreciate all your ideas and input about marathon training. I am still mulling things over, trying not to be too hasty in making up mind. Both race opportunities have their advantages. I am happy to hear my experienced marathon buds say I will be okay one with one 20 miler. I will work on making that a priority, as I rearrange a little since I will only be doing 13.1 (Disney) on my key long run week.

Training team is a big group, ninety nine have signed up. The pack look massive when we took off running. No pic fail - like my feet are more interesting lol


My first few miles I was looking around for someone to pace with, and honestly I didn't think I would find anyone, the only group in my sight was going faster than I could maintain. A very nice lady who has been part of team in previous years, dropped back and started chatting. She could probably hear my huffing and puffing lol We picked up a younger gal who was running about my speed, and discovered she had just ran her first marathon the same day I did the Richmond half. She is signed up for for the road race I have been thinking about doing. I am hopeful she will there this week and we can run together again. We ticked off the miles last week with no one else even in sight. This could be a decision tipper toward the road race. It would be great to have someone I did training runs with to actually start the event with. I rarely ever have anyone at a race I know. 

During my half training cycle, I rarely ran back to back days at all. Most weeks were three runs, and my fourth run was really only a treadmill warm up that was 1-3 miles at the most before a weight session. 


I don't want to overwhelm myself with to many goals, other than survival for training, but I do think a few key changes may really help. 
Last week, I decided I need those back to back days, so I will add in a fourth run day.  Since training team will be on Saturdays, I will do some type of recovery run on Sunday, of at least three or four miles.  I need to make my tired legs work. 




This past Sunday was a pretty, sunny, inviting run day, so I did the hillier side of my neighborhood and knocked out four easy pace miles.



The wind was roaring a bit Sunday, but I didn't mind. 

Hear the wind :) 

I hope adding in the extra run will help my overall strength. 
A time goal is not part of the process when I think about running a marathon, but I am trying to focus on a few small changes I can make to improve my overall strength and get me to the finish line. 


This little tidbit from nate@rundreamachieve.com came to my inbox today when I was trying to weed through what is most important for training. 

"One last thing I wanted to pass along is a strategy I have used for years and helped me droop nearly 25 minutes off my marathon time. You may already do strides. They are short bursts of about 100 meters and are too short to build up any lactic acid in your legs. What they do is recruit more fast twitch muscle fibers. The more of these your body can utilize the faster you will run and with less effort.
The secret is something you don't notice. If you do 5-6x100m strides after two of your easy runs throughout the week, over months you will have spent MILES at sprint speed." 


How do you all feel about doing strides through out a long run? toward the end of a run? If you do them have they really benefited you? 
Would you do the recovery run on Sundays? 

20 comments:

  1. I am a fan of strides too! My coach has me do them once a week at the end of an easy or moderate run - they're kind of fun! Too short to be painful like real speedwork! haha :D

    So glad you found a couple of people to run with in your group! I like having someone to chat with at the beginning of a half or full too! Will there be pacers at either marathon? If so you could also run with the pace group and have a few other people to talk with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did a few strides toward the end of my run last night and it seemed so much easier than an interval lol I thought is this really helping?? The road race does have pacing groups and I wondered about falling in with a group, but I have to get a handle on what pace I will really be doing. It sure would be nice! The trail race I will just be on my own, they have aid stations along the way of course, but it would be a very different experience.

      Delete
  2. I've never done strides only speed work. I'll have to try it. At least you have a plan and are actively working toward your goal. I'm still lagging around, slightly unmotivated. I haven't picked any 2015 races or goals. {eek...so out of character!} Sounds like a great training group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really like strides and last winter I did a lot, but got very slack over the summer. I am not sure how much they help, but I was running a little faster all last winter than now. Time to pick something top shoot for! march seems like a long time away, but it will be here before we know. I am starting to get excited about this :)

      Delete
  3. I am happy you had some people to run with! I swear by a day after the long run recovery run, or as I call it, a shake-out run! I hope it works well for you in this training cycle!

    I've been told to do strides, and they are probably good for me, hee hee. But me so lazy ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You run marathons you can never say you are lazy :-)

      Delete
  4. And the running groups already pays off lol. It is so huge to find someone to pace with and even huger (yeah it's a word lol) to have someone to run the race with. I've seen with Mrs Schlub that having a partner for those big races (half and full) can really help, especially when your new to the distance. I ready hope you do it, I know you can knock that race out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You all have a great group and that's so nice!! I hope I have my self a bud :) I will report back next week.

      Delete
  5. I am a BIG fan of strides...It is great that you have found a group to run with. I had a "virtual" group and that really helps too! Sometimes just knowing that someone has the same distance the same day helps mentally.
    I also agree with having a shake out run the day after your long run. It helps train for running on tired legs. I found when training I didn't mind the long run, it was the 4-5 miles the day after that were awful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, I bet as my mileage increases I may not be so eager to lace up on Sundays lol You are right, virtual support, the training group, and all you wonderful people help me every day! I did strides tonight and loved it :)

      Delete
  6. I like doing strides, but sometimes forget them. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on your run. Especially the hillier one. I do not incorporate strides into any of my runs. Maybe that's why my fitness has remained the same lately...haha. I wish we could get a sunny day here so I can go for a run and not freeze my butt of. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun does help even when it's really cold! I am going to try to stick with the hilly recovery run and see how it goes :)

      Delete
  8. That is interesting about the strides. I don't usually do them but maybe I should!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to just randomly work on them and see how it goes :) I won't be doing real intense speed work for this training cycle so strides seem perfect.

      Delete
  9. I think adding a running day will be beneficial. A part of marathon training is getting use to running while you are tired. It's all about preparing for body for those final miles. I also think the intensity of your schedule should reflect your goals. If your only goal is to cross the finish line, then your training doesn't have to be as intense. Awesome that you found someone training for one of your potential races! That could be a big help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have my fingers crossed that I may have a bud...we'll see this weekend ;) I do need that running tired back. I realized I was doing that much more often last winter and I do remember feeling stronger. If I can get across the line in under 5 hours I will probably feel like an Olympian lol

      Delete
  10. I've never done strides but I've been thinking about adding them into my training recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I randomly threw them in my run tonight and it felt good and helped my overall pace just a little :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤