Sunday, December 21, 2014

Training, Training, Week Three


My activity level was pretty heavy week two, and my legs were feeling a little tired heading into week three. My left calf is off again, on again, with a little knot of pain, so I am trying to give it a little more rest. Darn thing is annoying...

I managed 27.6  miles of running, 2 good sessions of upper body,  three full rest days, and lots of stretching, leg lifts, and a few planks for good measure this past week.

Sunday my recovery run ended up being 2 miles on the treadmill, my left calf was tender and sore, and really hurt at a few points, so I decided I wasn't pushing it.

My long run was only twelve miles this week, but I felt very tired when I got done and snoozed a bit when I got home. Ten miles the week before felt really good, I was energized by it, and got a lot done around the house. Fast forward one week and I felt wiped. I just never know how running is going to make me feel.

Saturday we walked around the mall easy paced for me :) 

We went to Cine' Bistro to see Night at the Museum -
I love this place, you get a little tray at your seat and yummy cocktails :) 

and popcorn  in a bowl lol
The storm in the forecast was just a mid week scare, by Friday rain wasn't even in the forecast, so I went to meet up with the training team Saturday. My usual run partner didn't come, so I was really nervous when the group took off. I tried to leave in the front of the pack, thinking I would just try to keep the pack in sight. A few miles in I realized that I needed to slow up, so I dropped back and spoke to the only two people near me. I told them I got lost the week before, and was bummed about not finding anyone I could run with. 
Long story short, I ended up with two run partners for the last ten miles. MB was a nice lady who was nursing an injury, so she was easy pacing it, and knew the area. The man Ray had coached in past years, and was happy to have someone to run with because his normal partner took the week off.  Ray said he usually runs with an older man, who is 70, and runs an 11:00 min. average, and he had done a marathon and a 50K (awesome) a few weeks apart and needed a rest week, but he is supposed to be back next week. I guess I will try their pace next week, if they are willing to let me tag along. 

Hey, guess what?! Christmas is just a few days away. I've only purchased one present...time to get busy, huh?! 
Anyone else last minute Christmas shopping like me? 
Ever have a long distance run just wipe you out? 

21 comments:

  1. "Ever have a long distance run just wipe you out?" LOL!

    Pretty sure that's happened to me once or twice... or a million times! :)

    70 year old ultrarunner is super impressive! I hope that's me when I'm 70! I bet running with him will be great, he probably has a lot of good, motivating running stories.

    Hope your calf is feeling better today!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird isn't it!? Sometimes a long distance will feel great and other times...omg, I was so sleepy! I was impressed at 70 he's running that strong. Ray has lots of marathons done too, so I think they should have lots of fun stuff to chat about. My calf is making me mad right now, darn aches...I guess I will let it rest tomorrow if I wake up feeling like this.

      Delete
  2. Lots of runs wipe me out!! It's just part of it I guess. I'm glad to know you didn't have to run by yourself. Was the movie good?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so glad I wasn't alone this week - we liked the movie, kind of sad to see Robin Williams

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you had some company for your run! Yes, long runs often wipe me out and I am just useless the rest of the day!

    ONLY ONE CHRISTMAS PRESENT!? I am having secondhand anxiety from learning this information....

    ReplyDelete
  4. My long runs ALWAYS wipe me out! lol. I have a few last minute Christmas presents to pick up but the bulk are done and in the mail. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I can still be a little productive after a long run, but this one seemed to challenge me lol Scary when I think about the long miles ahead!

      Delete
  5. Aww, I am happy you had some company for your LR! And don't say "only" 12! 12 is a lot! :)

    I hope your calf feels better this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 12 is a lot lol but I've done so many of them since Sept. I was surprised it wiped me like it did lol
      My darn calf is still hurting, I am getting a little worried now.

      Delete
  6. I haven't had popcorn in so long!! It looks sooo good! I think every single long distance run wipes me out. I always need a nap afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love naps :) Popcorn was really good with a cocktail lol

      Delete
  7. I am glad you had running buddies this week! I worried about you getting lost! Hopefully no work will make resting up easy this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been resting, but still hurting :( I was glad to have company, the route had a lot of confusing turns and the same road had two names....

      Delete
  8. I used to love going to this theater in Va Beach bc they served alcohol w the movie. A nice addition. That tree is gorgeous! I have been done w my Christmas shopping for awhile now. Feels great. Cold job on all your runs even though your calf was hurting. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could learn to plan ahead a little with the shopping but I never do lol The comfy leather seats are nice at that theater :)

      Delete
  9. I'm with you! I haven't really started Xmas shopping. We aren't celebrating until January so I hope everyone doesn't mind getting holiday cards in January!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might actually be able to pull off a Jan. celebration lol I haven't felt well so I didn't accomplish much shopping still.

      Delete
  10. I sometimes find that I have a good or 'on' week and then an 'off' week the next and tend to alternate between the two. Sometimes our bodies way of demanding rest days methinks. What a fabulous cinema! I would love to go there.
    Merry Christmas Karen!! Have a wonderful time celebrating/relaxing with your hubby and whoever else you may see. All the best. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, alternating is a good idea :) My body did start demanding rest for sure. I've been out with a bug and feeling quite miserable.
      I hope you have a wonderful holiday as well :) xo

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤