Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Training Week Four ~ A Christmas Bug

I managed 16.5 miles of running, 2 sessions of upper body, 3 miles of cycling, 3 full rest days, and one random light work out of leg lifts, back exercises, sit-ups, and the leg press.

I took a long break from running Christmas week, but not really by choice.

my left calf issue was bugging me, so I rested.

I was starting to feel woozy, but Kenny and I are working out together, so I didn't want to skip it, and I knew the gym would be closed a few days anyway...so I pushed through it. I ran a mile on the treadmill to warm up (ached the whole time) but we got in a good session of upper body. Tuesday night I went downhill.

I was too sick to get up - ugh, the nausea.

Still in bed - nauseous and weak.
Opening gifts is hard work

I ate a peanut butter and jelly waffle. My tummy would intermittently ripple with a sharp pain, but for the most part I was starting to feel normal. We went to the gym and I ran a mile on the treadmill (and felt exhausted) and did some upper body work.

The new fireplace at the mall is pretty fancy

We walked around and went to the comedy club

I was supposed to run 13 miles. There was no way, I guess our wild night out did me in. I didn't want to lose my streak of four work outs a week, so we went to the gym. I ran a mile on the treadmill, cycled three miles on a course, and did the random workout.

I needed to knock out 13 miles.
I put on my water pack, and made the decision to run 13. 5 miles. I just wanted to get over the half marathon hump.

I never stopped moving (except to cross the street), just clicked off the miles slow and steady
I was trying to smile about completing my longest run ever, but I felt a little rough

It was strange, I've ran 13.1 and felt okay, so I am not sure why that little bit of mileage pushed me over the edge, but boy was I stiff. I have never been stiff like I was Sunday. I went to lunch with run buddy and we walked around the mall little and it helped, but honestly I didn't feel real relief from the stiffness till I had a good nights sleep. 


Trying to find a way to dry out the bladder from the water pack is a pain. How do you dry yours? 

Ever felt so stiff you thought your legs may never work again? 
Tell me about your favorite Christmas gift? 

23 comments:

  1. I am sorry you were sick over Christmas! I am sure a lot of your stiffness is due to that! One of the things I have found really helps with post-run soreness is a cool-down walk. I always get the dogs for a 1/2 mile loop around the neighborhood and it really does help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, a cool down walk really does help. I try to do that after each run :)

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I am sorry you were so sick over Christmas. :( When I am sick I just can't wait to have my normal energy and everything back. Looks like you got a strong 11 miles in and you're BACK! :)

    I never get my bladder dry completely. I betcha there is all kind of bacteria in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that lovely bacteria is what I am afraid of lol A bottle to clean out would be so much easier!

      Delete
  3. So bad about Christmas. Congrats about getting in th long one. I have never run more thn 13.1. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt good to finally pass that distance! I just couldn't wait until this week when I am supposed to do 14. You should try to one day :)

      Delete
  4. Oh no! Not another sick Christmas! Wah :( You poor thing. I am super impressed you still got that 13.5 in! WTG on the PDR! :)

    I love the little day of the week headings, and of course, the xmas pic ;)

    So... I have had a Nathan forever and just now read on the box for my new bladder that you can turn it inside out to clean it. How much simpler than stuffing it with paper towels (that is what I was doing, too!) would that be?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and was going to say the same as Cheryl about the stiffness - I bet a lot of that was from being sick!

      Delete
    2. I hope the stiffness isn't there for all my long runs now! I am not sure I can handle that. I was uncomfortable for sure.
      That is funny, I had no idea you could turn the bladder inside out lol

      Delete
  5. Glad you felt well enough at the end of the week to get your long run in! After cleaning my water bladder, I stick the hose inside of it so that the bladder can lay open and air dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's a good idea with the hose! I need to do that when I hang it up :)

      Delete
  6. Getting sick stinks, ruins the holidays and wrecks work out plans. Glad you got out Friday for a good time. Sunday must have been epic, it's a huge accomplishment to knock out a half marathon.

    Clean out your bladder, your suppose to do that??? Honestly I know it's gross but I've had mine for a few months and have never cleaned it lol.p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Running that distance felt very different alone than a race setting! I think I needed to know I could get past the half alone, I've always felt like that would be impossible for me, but it wasn't :)
      I wonder what's lurking in your bladder lol

      Delete
  7. That's a great long run! Love the kitty pic - you wore it out. I got a Camelbak Mini for Christmas. No excuses now for marathon training. At least you've been sick and you won't have to worry about getting sick. (I'm always worried I'll get sick just before a BIG race.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I don't get sick anymore! I will be thankful if I can just be well when I go to Disney in Feb. It's $$ and I just want to have fun.
      I bet the camelbak will be nice and light:)

      Delete
  8. So sorry you were sick on Christmas! I was sick visiting my family in Iowa on Christmas TWO YEARS IN A ROW, in 2011 and 2012. I was a little nervous going home for Xmas 2013 but luckily I have broken the streak!

    Congrats on your longest run ever! Way to get out there and get after it. My first thought was maybe the lingering effects of being sick contributed to your stiffness, I can't imagine .4 additional miles would be that hard on the body. But who knows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being sick always stinks, glad you broke your streak.
      It seems like every year when I get a break from work, I get sick. Days off are the only thing I really forward too (other than a race) and somehow I always sick for them. I am a little nervous about the stiffness, I guess I will see Saturday what happens after my long run.

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on completing your longest run, even when you weren't feeling the greatest earlier in the wk. I have never ran w hydration pack so I have no suggestions there. I bet they are great on long runs. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was really excited to hit this distance :)
      I have really avoided carrying a pack, but now it's necessary, so I guess I will get used to it.

      Delete
  10. What a week! I'm sorry you felt so bad. I can't believe you still did 13.5! That's huge!! I'm sure being sick didn't help the stiffness.
    The bladder ~ I'd probably YouTube search "how to clean a Nathan hydration pack ".. YouTube solves everything!
    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right Youtube has the answer to everything lol
      I didn't want to skip my long run even if I missed all my others for the week!
      I am still thinking about the orange mud vest, I juts don't have anywhere close I can try one on, wish I did.

      Delete
  11. So sorry you were sick Karen! Way to still get in the long run after being ill. It probably felt harder because you were still recovering from whatever bug you had. Cleaning hydration bladders is a huge pain. I still haven't figured out the best way! Please post if you find good tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that's the case with the stiffness. I guess I will see what happens this Saturday, if I feel that stiff again it may make me reevaluate. The bladders are a pain, I guess stuffing paper towels in it for now is all I got lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤