Friday, December 5, 2014

Why I'd Give Up Facebook for Blogging

Back in the day Myspace ruled. I loved it, I spent all kind of hours putting sparkling backgrounds, quotes I love, music bites, and key pictures of current life events on my page. I saved  my code, because all were tweaked to perfection and I change up the backgrounds with each season, month, you get the idea...
 ...and I commented with people about mindless stuff, like I love that song too! " How did you add "that" to your page?" It was fun.



The above image was from a purple themed myspace page, decked out with hearts and love quotes :)


I had many backgrounds that had moving sparkle, and of course all the text was perfected to match a color in the backdrop.

Then came Facebook, in all its ordinary plainness. Real people I was supposed to know. I felt weird about it at first, people from junior high and elementary school connecting again...I was trying to forget those days for the most part. 

Eventually, I deleted my beloved MySpace...peer pressure. 

I soon discovered having real people in your life is a pain the pa-toot. Some folks just don't share your sense of humor, or political views, and take s@#t way. toooo. serious., and write an essay comment debunking what you intended to be a tongue in cheek chuckle. 
Frickin' exhausting, so I would have deleted it, but my mom who can not drive, and can only utilize a bus in her small town a few afternoons a week, lovesssssssssss to play Farm Town and Farmville, it keeps her happy. 


My mom :) 
Soon we discovered one account was not enough, and since Facebook doesn't let you make fake accounts, I gave her my log in and she started doing all her games and "mine" everyday. Keeps her happy and occupied :) 

I can't just delete it now...(sigh) it would crush my mom. 

So I turned to blogging. I still struggle to post, but I love to read them for the positive interaction with others who get it. When I post about my runs or my love of fitness on Facebook for the most part I am ignored, (I know maybe they don't see it) people just don't really give a crap about my running, I don't blame them. My bloggy buddies get it, you know what hard work running is, how it can take you high and low (mostly high), and what kind of time is invested to be able to run a race, and how exciting it is when you meet a goal.

You know what's really strange, even at the gym, people who work out very regularly for the most part, just seem to be oblivious about running. People that aren't into running, just don't get it. 

Every so often I try to get on Facebook and interact, and there are a few folks I love to be in touch with, but honestly I could live without it. 

Blogging has helped me to grow as a a runner:
It has exposed me to new training ideas and concepts
How much or how little to train
Wonderful encouragement
How others deal with disappointments (which helps me better deal with mine)
Celebrate progress
To not be afraid to try something new or different
Product exposure and reviews are a great help when shopping for gear
Empathy over frustration when you have an injury or ache and pain that keeps you from running
Survival tips and tricks
Inspiration

The support system that happens is one of the best aspects of blogging. Sometimes you get inspiration from a comment, or a shared similar experience, or just from a mantra or strategy someone shared that they used.

I know many of you have real life buddies who helped you along the way, and I do as well, but many of my virtual buddies have contributed in a very positive way to my running journey, and I would have never found you on Facebook.

I am thankful for each one of you that stop by and read a post, and share your comments with me.

Karen












Facebook lover/hater? Former Myspace junkie? Does blogging give you a support system or inspiration? Thoughts? 

27 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of Facebook. {There...I said it! Oddly...I didn't get struck by lightning.} At least with blogging, I can't see people's eyes glaze over when I talk about running. I very much enjoy your blog and, yes, I GET IT. Keep blogging. We've got training to do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that glaze you speak of LOL I long run down, just three months to go of training ;)

      Delete
  2. I am so with you on this! Before blogging I spent way too much time on Facebook, but now I spend my time reading running blogs which feels so much more productive. It's educational, it's social, it's fun and like you said, other runners just get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how runners have made a community out of blogging :)

      Delete
  3. I really enjoy blogging and love reading about new tips and tricks and products that people have used. I have met many great people through blogging. I actually don't have a personal Facebook page. We have one for our blog. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always amazed some still don't have a personal Facebook page, that would be my preference :)

      Delete
  4. I love this post and WHAT a good point you bring up! I don't share much on FB about running, I keep it all for my blog cause that is a warm environment for it! I would delete my FB if not for keeping it for my personal trainer position at the studio (as it is, I use my blog FB more than my personal!)! Funny that your mom uses yours!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to have one so clients can find you :) I bet a lot people check out someone that way.

      Delete
  5. Agree 150%...I'm lucky to have a good support system around me but the blog add another element of support, encouragement, and education. It feels good to have a good run and share with people who care and to be struggling and reach out to those that can help. You may thank us, but we thank you too...you have shared your journey and dirty with us and that is just as important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and many others have encouraged me so much along the way :)

      Delete
  6. I was nodding my head the entire time I was reading your post! All the blogs I read, everyone is an inspiration to me. And I love the encouragement people give me. I learn a lot from others, and blogging allows me to reflect and learn from MYSELF too!

    I was very into Myspace. Did you know I met Paul on Myspace??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, that 's so cool you met Paul on Myspace, I remember that post!

      Delete
  7. Totally agree. Fb is very superficial. My running friends are my fellow bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I get this! I still have a Facebook account because its absolutely the easiest way to get a hold of many of my non running friends. And they have the messenger app, which is handy at times, but I deleted it.
    I check it once a week or so, and deleted the option to post to my wall so my friends don't post pics I dont catch for a week..
    Anyway. Long comment.. I love the blog, but also found the forums to be very helpful. I like how those are pretty anonymous. But you also have to weigh advice there.
    I'm glad to have found your blog and to know more about you with each post. Blogging is running-related but with a human side. ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love following your journey Raina :) Very glad i found you. I agree, you get to know a lot of great things about people through blogging.

      Delete
  9. I agree, I enjoy all the benefits of blogging...it's a great way to share and grow this running obsession! Not much in to Facebook. I check to see pics of my nieces and nephews...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Facebook is fun when you have lots of kid stuff to share with family and friends, that is a very good part of it. Obsession is the right word :)

      Delete
  10. I love to write and share my thoughts. But I do get a lot of motivation from other runners on FB. That is, once I weed through all the clutter....

    I just found your blog and want to encourage you to keep on running! I'm 52 and have been running for over 20 years. I'm looking forward to following your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that we are close to the same age :) I keep plugging along trying to work on my nerve to run a marathon. I am glad you stopped by!

      Delete
  11. I agree with you 100%! I love reading blogs because they inspire me and facebook n makes me feel bad about myself! I am really trying to cut back on my usage:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's weird how that can happen, I always say that too...for some reason FB often makes me feel down.

      Delete
  12. Interesting post Karen!! I too find blogs so motivating, encouraging, inspiring, and could read them for hours (if other things wouldn't get in the way!). Plus, I don't have too many 'real-life' running friends, so I'm sure my friends would get bored of my constant running talk and musings (I'm sure Husband probably does sometimes!), so blogging has allowed me to connect with and make new running friends, even though we haven't met (yet!). Have you seen, there is a new social networking site: seen.is - like fb but without all the invasions of privacy and stalking and censorship. I have signed up but so far am still sucked in to using facebook (as everyone is still there, d'oh...). Never used myspace, that one went over my head, as does twitter and most other 'normal' sites (I kinda hate technology haha). :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love blog reading too, some weeks it takes me longer to get them all in, but it's what I try to do as soon as I get free time :) I didn't know a new social site existed, I must check it out! I like how you said we haven't met yet :) maybe one day!

      Delete
  13. I have a Facebook but I could definitely live without it. I just get annoyed with people when I scroll through my news feed. The only reason I still have mine is because I'm part of the group I Run 4 and you interact with your running buddy over Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A run buddy is a good reason to have one! Your Run4 for someone is a great group idea :)

      Delete
  14. Nice post Karen! I have a love hate with FB. There are certain elements I like about it (spreading news, staying in touch with people far away), but many I dislike. I post most of my running stuff on my blog because I know those people care/are interested the most.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤