Sunday, January 4, 2015

Marathon Training Week Five


Happy New Year  
I got things back on track this week! 
Week five I checked off  29 miles of running, four sessions of upper body work, 2 sessions of some fun core work, some gym cycling, one full rest day, and only three quick strides this week. 

I shortened my strides work out trying to give my leg time to go ache free.


The new cycling machine at the gym has a bunch of courses to pick from and keeps my brain occupied while I pedal :) I love it. 


I got my hubby a Basis Peak (tracking watch w/heart rate monitor) for Christmas, so he could track his daily activity since we started going to the gym together.  He can't run on his foot, because he's had a motorcycle accident that crushed it, but he is becoming a gym junky. 



My gym partner won't let me have a rest day. The good thing is, when I am too tired to lift, I cycle and do some core work. 

My long run this past week was 14 miles. The young gal from week one showed up and we ran together...and we got lost, but we still made our mileage.  This run felt painfully slow (two hours and thirty nine minutes), it was raining, and we had to keep stopping to check the route, and traffic was busy, so we waited many times trying to cross the street.

and it felt hilly

Every week the route is printed on a small piece of paper, so you can follow it. We got about 10 turns in and this weeks directions involved a right at a chain link fence at a University, we tried to circle around, we tried looking at a map, but we couldn't find the next street, so we just did a big loop and headed back the same direction we came from.
These routes confuse the crud out of me, this is a sample one from a few weeks ago...

R Westmoreland
R Grove
L Locke
L Dover
R Portland
L Douglasdale
R Sheppard
SAG (water stop)
L Park Dr to Nickel Bridge
L Evelyn Byrd
R Riverside onto Lee Bridge
L Oregon Hill Pkwy
R Pine
L Idlewood
R Laurel
SAG
L S Cathedral/Floyd
R Plum
L Hanover
R Blvd
L Monument
R Staples Mill
L Augusta

Luckily, the stiffness from last week did not manifest itself after this run, but I was really used-up sore feeling in a few spots, like my glutes.  

After my long run we went out for bowling and pizza ❤ By 9 p.m. I could hardly hold my eyes open, fourteen miles tired me out like no other run I've done. 


If you are a dark chocolate fan and haven't tried these...you should :)




How's your new year starting off? Do you ever bowl? 



Thanks for stopping by! 

31 comments:

  1. I haven't bowled in Forever!!! I'd love to try that bike machine at your gym! I get so bored on the stationary machines and can't quite occupy my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you, the stationary bike near kills me lol I am enjoying this one a lot! Time to grab your honey and go bowling :)

      Delete
  2. That bike looks fun. Those directions are nuts! Who could follow those?
    My hubs is a very good bowler. Me, not so much. You had a great training week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The directions are almost laughable. I could see the route on the map, but still couldn't find the right road. I am so challenged. Bowling is good recovery :)

      Delete
  3. You have a great training plan. What marathon are you training for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, March 15th, a race in Newport News. VA ") I am still pretty nervous, Just hoping I do okay with the higher mileage runs.

      Delete
  4. Wow you are a beast with all your gym workouts, way to get after it! I wish I could be that dedicated to cross training. I'd always just rather be running!

    I really hate trying to run with directions that don't include a map. It's hard to focus on your run while having to think about where you are and where you're going all the time. Having a visual at least makes it a LITTLE easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be challenged even with the map lol
      I am working with my hubby so he can familiar with all the machines. Alone, I wouldn't do as much :)

      Delete
  5. Oh wow that cycling machine looks awesome. Good job on the 14 miler and sometimes getting lost is fun lol.

    Wow bowling looks totally fun, I need to get the wife it for a night of bowling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bowling = great date night fun :)
      The cycling machine is very cool, I feel like I am riding a real bike.

      Delete
  6. Whaaaat? Is it already week 5 of your training? When is your race again? Week 5 of ? would help. :-)

    I love bowling. I think that will have to be added to our date night plans (once baby is ready for us to go on a date night, that is).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you will get some date nights in soon :)
      I have 10 weeeks to go! When I think about it too much I get very nervous. I hope I can hold up.

      Delete
    2. ah 10 more weeks, I think you can do it. keep the updates rolling!!!

      Delete
  7. Those printed directions look just like the ones the running group I belong to hand out! Some people complain that they need it in 16pt font so they can read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week it was raining, our paper was falling apart, it was rough. I need to load in somehow and have my phone talk to me...like GPS

      Delete
  8. I started off with a Half Marathon. I went bowling recently for the first time in many many years. I stink! But it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great job! Starting off with a half :) I stink at bowling too, but it is fun :)

      Delete
  9. Happy new year to you too!!! That's awesome re: your gym buddy/husband, and what a great idea for the cycle machines too! Very motivating. Bowling's fun but I haven't done it in ages! I am definitely a dark chocolate fan and am salivating over those cranberries, yum. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that hubby is working out :) I haven't got him out for a sub zero 40 km bike ride adventure yet...lol, but it's coming! Nothing beats some good dark chocolate!

      Delete
    2. Haha, my Husband won't let me live that one down - he got really ill the next day so of course blamed me and the bike ride I 'made' him go on... He's fine now though, so all good. Yeha, I am missing some proper dark chocolate hey! I think I'll stock up on the good stuff while I'm in Australia at the end of this month - the stuff here is just 'fake' dark chocolate hey and is mainly sugar...

      Delete
  10. In my city there is also a place to play bowling and to eat pizza, I love it.
    Like your hubby I had a motorcycle accident, it was my first fracture:
    http://cavnero.blogspot.it/2007/10/surgery.html
    Gym, biking and running a very good cross training. I am sure it will work for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your accident sounded bad! My hubby was hit while moving, someone turned int him.
      He's doing great at the gym!

      Delete
  11. That exercise bike looks fun! It looks like a video game. Great job on your run, and all the lifting. I felt like I could take a nap at any time during marathon training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am nervous about 15 miles this week in the cold, I may have to give in nap this week. The bike is pretty awesome :)

      Delete
  12. I kinda want to try out that bike! Nice work getting it done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That cycling machine looks freaking awesome! It kind of looks like a video game haha :)
    Ouch, crushed foot - poor guy! :| So cool that you go to the gym together :D always nice to have a workout partner ;D
    My American penpal actually sent me a bag of those chocolate things last year! But with blueberries instead of cranberries. I loved them, they were delicious! And I normally don't like chocolate with fruit/berries in them. But these.. Yum!
    So far 2015 has been great for me! :) I don't bowl, think the last time I went bowling was when I was 17 haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the blueberry ones as well! We discovered bowling will make your tush sore on one side for days! LOL

      Delete
  14. I'm jealous of your spin bike! I can only imagine how much more engaging it is. I've had trouble with directions like that on group runs before. Sometimes street signs are missing or whatever and I've gotten lost. Glad to hear you still got the mileage in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The getting lost is killing me! I need to use the bike a lot more, I am sure once training is over, I will spend even more time on it, but for now I gotta get the runs in :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤