Sunday, January 11, 2015

Marathon Training Week Six

Just nine weeks to go, these will be the most crucial for sure. It's make or break time.

Week six - 32.5 miles of running, three sessions of upper body, two short sessions of core work, and two full rest days. 

 Long run Saturday was pretty brisk

Run buddy and I decided to wait until 9 a.m. so at least the sun would be shining.
Kasey had 10 miles to run, training for Disney in February
I had 15 miles to check off - I am so glad I had some company

I decided I needed a break from the training team this week. I just wanted to do a long run without getting lost, and stopping a million times waiting to cross streets. 
Run buddy and I had a great run, chatting away the miles. I was sad when she turned about mile 8 to head head home, and I had to keep going. 
I sailed along pretty easily alone, maintaining a 10:40 pace until mile thirteen. I was feeling pretty good, the sun was shining, and then during mile fourteen things shifted a bit. 
My feet started feeling pretty achy. I slowed up a bit, and tried to consciously be a little lighter on my feet, but it didn't really help, they just ached. 
The last mile and half felt very long. Usually I would walk about a mile after a run, but it was so cold I ran till I was about three minutes from home. 
I carried 40 oz. of water, with two Nuun (thanks EB!!) tablets dissolved in it, and I consumed every drop. 


15.5 miles @ 10:45 avg pace 

When I got in the house I stretched in my living room. I felt extremely nauseous for a few minutes, but it passed as soon as I got in the shower. I showered until the hot water ran out.  

Sunday afternoon I thought I was feeling pretty good, so I went to the gym with my hubby. I ran a easy paced (10:45) mile to loosen up, then ran the next mile a little speedier. When I started to lift, I started feeling funky almost right away. My normal warm up weight was a challenge.  A few sets in, the nausea really started. I tried to push through it, but after a few more sets I felt rough, so we called it quits and headed home. 
I guess I found my limit, apparently I needed a rest day after my long run. 

Week six had some high points - a great 8 mile run on Monday  
my PB distance of 15.5 miles
two good upper body sessions with my hub at the gym

Week six had some low points - my right foot was really aching after my run Saturday
I really felt like I was pushing my body's comfort threshold
I felt really rough on Sunday when I tried to work out

Next week is supposed to be a drop back week. Part of me welcomes it...part of me thinks it's a little crazy that 12 miles will be my "short run". Part of me is tempted to push on next week and do 16 miles, and take the drop back after sixteen. I am still very worried I may not make it through the training cycle. I may not be tough enough for those 18 and 20 milers, the anxiety about those runs is growing.
Could this hurry up and happen already?!

Do you ever run the shower out of hot water? Do you think it's normal to need a rest day after a long run at this mileage? Do you enjoy drop back weeks during training? 

18 comments:

  1. I think it is totally normal to have a rest day after a long run. You ran for almost 3 hours! Rest up, girl!

    Dang you were on fire this week!!! :) Enjoy your drop back week coming up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had so much fun last week, I can not believe I have to sit this week out :/
      I should have realized I needed the rest, but honestly I didn't feel it till I tried to work out.

      Delete
  2. I always rest the day after a long run (or half marathon). You are doing great with your training. Aren't those long hot showers the greatest thing? I don't think I have time to prepare for my March marathon. We will be travelling some, so I may have to push it to something later in the year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am anxiously waiting so I can see what I can do with training. I really have felt pretty good. I could look for something in April if I need to take a break.

      Delete
  3. Wow great week, 32 total miles and a15 mile, that is huge.

    I would recommend a drop back, sounds like you could use the rest. I ALWAYS take a rest day after my long runs. Regardless of pace, we have to remember that people are greatly fatigued after a half marathon, just because it's a training running doesn't change that.

    Running the hot water out is a common occurrence in our house lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's never enough hot water lol
      I had my rest kind of forced on me this week, but you are so right, running a half can be a very tiring event.

      Delete
  4. I always take a rest day after a long, long run! Like Meg said I think it's completely normal when you're asking your body to run distances that it's not used to. You are totally killing it though! I can't believe you're already up to 15.5 miles! I'm so glad you decided to tackle the marathon, it's such a life changing experience once you cross that finish line!

    .... And I love drop back weeks :) I love, love, love long runs but there is no doubt that the body (and mind) appreciates a break every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do need to just take the rest day!
      I hope I get to tackle this distance, I have been very worried thinking about it for a long time. Once I started adding the miles I started feeling like maybe I can actually do this. I hope I can get over this hurdle I am facing right now and keep moving on.
      I was finally getting to point where I could see myself crossing the line, I hope that becomes my reality!

      Delete
  5. You HAVE this! Don't feel anxious! You will get to those long runs. Just keep listening to your body, like you are! I love reading how smart you are about training, and how balanced your week was (this is after reading a few posts this am about people pushing through pain). Take the cut back weeks. Rest after your LR. Keep letting your body tell you what to do. You got this!

    And I do know lots of people who rest the day after their LR! I typically do what I call a "shake out" run - an easy run to get my legs going. But I also typically have to teach Monday nights and if I do my LR on a weekend, I need to keep my legs moving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tried to be careful and not over train and really take my time on my long runs. Last week was my speediest long run lol I really wasn't hurting beyond what I kind of expected. I am trying to relax about this, but it's hard not be anxious. I feel like I have invested so much energy I just want to be able to get through it.

      Delete
  6. Karen, wow, 32 miles this week. That is so amazing. I remember doing the long runs with my San Diego running group and 15 miles is GREAT. You are right on track. I remember thinking anything past the 13.1 mile distance was a big deal for a training run (20 miles was a killer). You are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and I forgot to say that #1 the fact that you kept going after your run buddy had to peel off at mile 8 is something to cheer about, and #2 feeling really tired that last mile and a half is totally NORMAL. Wish I could be there with you; it seems like we run about the same pace when it comes to the long & slow training days.

      Delete
    2. We could totally run together :) It is fun checking off those new distances. I feel a good sense of accomplishment. I really want to be able to finish this training cycle with a race.
      I had such a great week last week, I am hard time feeling like a door just slammed shut on me, but I am trying to be patient until I see when I get the scan done.

      Delete
  7. Almost everyone I know rests the day after a long run. During my marathon training I did shakeout jogs of 3ish miles at a very slow pace the day after long runs and it worked for me, but now a days I just rest the day after.

    I think you should take the cutback week. I know you don't want to and that missing miles makes you anxious (I always felt the same way), but your body is trying to tell you it needs some rest. Trust in your training, you will be fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The team I was training with had some pretty high mileage Sundays after long run Saturday. I thought I would try to do a slow short recovery run on Sundays, but I am at the point I just need to cool it.
      That anxiousness is getting the best of me.

      Delete
  8. It is definitely more than normal to need a rest day after a long run day. I know some people like to run a short 3 miler the day after a long run but I am not one of those people. And drop back weeks are the best during marathon training they are good for both your legs and mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am feeling better since it seems a rest day is more the norm for everyone. That will make it easier for me to not feel like I am wusssing out :)
      What was i thinking, I do love rest lol

      Delete
  9. It's totally normal to need a rest day after long runs. You are still getting use to long run like that, so keep that in mind. The rest part is just as important. How is your fueling for your long runs? Just wondering if that contributed your nausea.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤