Friday, January 2, 2015

Tricky Little Pain

My legs have been resting for a few weeks now. My sick week (Christmas) I barely ran expect for my long run. The tightness I kept experiencing in my left calf cleared up, and for once my muscles felt great. I've kept it light this past week too.

I realized the calf tightness was covering the real issue.


The real pain is actually under my calf muscle, go figure.
I've been rolling out my calf muscle for weeks thinking that was the issue...genius.
I can't really figure out if the pain is the bone, or just another sore muscle. It's a strange spot that hurts. It did improve after being off it so much, but depending how I put my weight down I can still feel a twinge of something in there. I started getting worried I had a stress fracture, so I called the Orthopedic doc a few days ago, but I can't get in till Jan. 12th.
Then miraculously, once I made the appointment, almost all traces of pain started to disappear. Maybe a week wasn't quite long enough to clear up whatever in going on in there.

I guess after my long run this week (14 miles) I will see how I feel and decide if I should keep the appointment.

Ever have tightness trick you before? If you started feeling completely fine, would you cancel the appt.?

13 comments:

  1. LOL. It's like magic. Make an appointment = instantly feel better! I have trouble with my Achilles (old injury). It connects to the calf. I mention this because of the arrow in your pic. Same spot. Hope it is gone completely in a few days. (Did you change shoes?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it crazy how that magic works?! LOL No change in shoes in awhile - I alternate between a few pairs but none are mile heavy...yet. Maybe I think about a new pair though, sometimes they don't last as long. Interesting, I wouldn't have guessed you would feel pain from an achilles there.

      Delete
    2. I really messed mine up a couple of years back. I now have (what I think is) nerve damage there. It bothers me if that area gets cold. Thankfully not when I run. But it's right about where you point.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your pain. Have you been running long distance in those shoes? I have the same exact pair. I like them, however I have never ran more than five miles in them. Hopefully your pain is not a reoccurring problem. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my Torin's :) but I only use if I am doing 6 miles or less. Right now I have Brooks GTS for long runs. I think I may get a new pair soon for long runs. I ran 14 miles and the pain still hasn't reappeared so maybe I am in the clear :)

      Delete
  3. I hate weird, sudden aches and pains! Yes if you never had the pain before and you can get it to go away, I'd cancel. Maybe if it comes back, go check it out! I had a STRANGE hamstring issue for 24 hours and now it is GONE just as quickly as it appeared....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those strange little aches bug me! Sometimes my foot will randomly hurt, but usually goes away in a day. I try not to freak out, but you know how it is lol

      Delete
  4. I hate when they disappear like that. I would keep the appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the tightness issue, although it does seem like giving in and making an apt does make the pain go away for me. I don't usually keep the appointment, I am a little frugal about stuff like that. Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems like my problem areas are around my calf muscles as well. I hope you get to resolve the issue. Even if the pain disappears before the appointment I'd still go and get a check up on your leg.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you feel better but I would keep the appointment to be sure that it is .... nothing.
    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope it feels better by now! That is good you made the appointment... since that seems to be what made it go away! I would probably keep an appointment too, just to do an overall check, if they can!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel like I could have written this post! I've been going through similar things (time off due to shin, sickness extending time off, etc). I would keep the appointment to the last minute (unless they charge you for cancelling) just in case the pain/tightness comes back on with running. Hopefully you won't need it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤