Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Water In Motion

I  know you all are tired of my Debbie Downer, Negative Nelly, Eeyore persona as of late...soooo, drum-roll, please...


it's time for a little sunshine now...


Guess what I did?! - put my chunk in a swim suit and started my water therapy :) 

Yellow is a new color on my Garmin calendar! I still haven't removed my training runs from my calendar (the purple), but I guess I should. 
Going home with a bag of wet stuff is something new for me.
oh, and I only have one swim suit, so I may need to remedy that. 

I discovered this will take a little more coordinating and packing, which is a challenge for me, but I want to keep weight training with my sweetie, so I have to go from the gym to the pool. 
I didn't have clean socks to wear home (duh), but that's life. 

I loved  aquatic class, having an instructor to make me stay on it for an hour, is exactly what I need. I could feel the fatigue in my shoulders using the water weights...woop!  I did some aquatic running and swam a few laps after class. I am not sure how long I could run in the pool on my own without music, I missed it! 

I wore my very basic Polar heart rate monitor - I got in a pretty good workout 75 minutes total. 

   134 was my average heart rate for my time in the pool


         not to shabby ~ that's usually the max I hit running :) 

It's a long ride to and from the pool and it means very little time at home a few nights a week, but I do believe after trying it, this is the fastest way to heal. I felt great in the water. 


 On the way home I stopped and purchased a bag big enough to hold some necessities, so I can make this easier. 

Look at the deal ") 

In an effort not to completely overwhelm myself, I am setting my water goal for twice a week. 
I would really like three sessions if I can swing it.  

Have you ever tried a water in motion class, or pool running? or done water therapy? 

22 comments:

  1. Whooo! That's so great! Not only will it likely help with your recovery but you've discovered something new that you like. Even once you're recovered these classes will make for great cross training!

    Every time I swim laps I am shocked at how quickly I get out of breath. I'm really bad at pacing myself in the water like that. I need to work on it. I LOVE aqua jogging... although 30 mins is about my max unless I have someone to chat with to pass the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not a very strong swimmer, I had to take a break after going up and back lol I hope I will get stronger as I go. I love the instructor part of my session, I just need someone to say do it :) I was dying after like 5 minutes aqua running w/o music lol

      Delete
  2. Yay!! That is awesome that you have a pool to use! I am pretty jealous. It will be a great recovery and cross training tool. Does this mean you are becoming a triathlete? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a pretty weak swimmer, but hopefully I will get stronger as I go. I haven't been in water in years.
      Who knows maybe I will :)

      Delete
  3. "I put my chink in a swimsuit" KAREN I AM DYING LAUGHING you are hilarious!

    I am motivated by your determination to stay in shape, even if you can't run! You surely have the mind and heart of an athlete. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan :)
      I smiled when I read this, because really I am the most uncoordinated person...I can't catch a ball to me if you toss it to me, I never think of myself as athletic.

      Delete
  4. Yea!!! You made lemonade! LOL. Way to turn sad into sunny. Hey, you may even find a new passion. You never know. I have a pool and I swim a little in the summer...it wears me out (and sadly hurts my shoulder)! My hubs actually does daily laps in the pool but I just can't seem to get into that. I'll leave that to him. WAY TO GO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally right! I couldn't find a pool to work in close to home, very frustrating, this is not really the most convenient, but I really did enjoy being able to feel like i pushed my self :)
      It stinks swimming makes your shoulder hurt, it's supposed to be easier on the bones, right.

      Delete
  5. I have never done any water related activities but no they are great for people recovering from a injury. At least you are still getting your workworkouts in somehow.M, and that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It gives me a chance to feel like I've really worked. I would recommend to at least try to anyone who is injured.

      Delete
  6. I've tried swimming (hated it) but have been tempted to try deep water running. Last spring when I was injured, I considered it. I won't lie, I'm a little intimidated by the pool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have put on a bathing suit so few times in my adult life I could probably count it on my fingers lol so, this was out of my comfort zone for sure...but once i was in the water, I didn't care. If I was just swimming I may not have enjoyed it as much, but I did a lot of calisthenics moves with weights under water and sprints "running" so it was fun.

      Delete
  7. "Put my chunk in a swim suit" hahah I died a little xD So glad you're back to smiley-mood :D this is so great! I'm sure this swimming will help you tons with recovery and you'll be so strong when you can run again! :D
    Cute bag btw :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I am trying to do what I can for the next three weeks and see what the Doc says then.

      Delete
  8. Swimming or any wet activity at the gym has always been a challenge for me -- the part about packing up all the wet stuff. It wasn't until I had my son that I discovered dry/wet bags existed (good for clean/dirty cloth diapers, good for wet bathing suits!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Packing the wet stuff up and making sure I have something dry to change into has been a challenge, but I hope it's helping :)

      Delete
  9. I am very sorry for the fracture. I hope you get well soon and you will be able to run as fast as before. As you know I had many injures, the first was the femur fracture. I worked a lot in the pool (at that time I walked by the crutches) to rehab the leg and in the gym for the upper body. It was a positive and fruitful experience. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stefano :) I know you had quite a time, I am glad you are on the mend. I enjoy the water more than I thought I would :)

      Delete
  10. I did some pool running this summer while I was marathon training. I really liked it and it is much easier on the joints!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hate swimming. The only kind I do is run into the ocean when it is hot and floating on a tube in a lake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hate swimming. The only kind I do is run into the ocean when it is hot and floating on a tube in a lake.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤