Thursday, February 26, 2015

Disney Princess Half

Magic Kingdom - Monday 82 degrees 
Florida is the place to be in the winter.

Warmth! We arrived the day after Orlando, Florida experienced a cold spell. Saturday was a splendid 72 degrees and I was thrilled  
Like so many of you, I have been overloaded with snow and cold temps.


5:16 a.m. on the way to the airport...

...to this ") 
 Flowers, green, and sunshine...I didn't know how to act. We headed to the expo 

and we met Jeff Galloway 
He chatted with us about run/walk intervals, and what to do if you miss a clump of training, my injury, and gave me a little running advice for the half - he said I should walk a lot :) 
Which I had already planned to do.  I knew we would stop to take some pictures along the route, and if I experienced any discomfort I planned to just chill and walk it out. 
It seemed completely crazy after a five week break to have the half start line be my first run, so Saturday after the expo, we knocked out an easy paced 5K.  Nerves!! Each step I was anxious, just waiting to feel that pulse in my leg, but I never did. I knew at that point I was ready for the half the next morning. 


Sunday 5:20 a.m. getting ready to roll in 55 degrees, it felt so wonderful out! The humidity was 100%, so I did feel a bit sticky once we started running, but the temperature could't have been more perfect. 

 It was fun having the fireworks as each wave left 
Run buddy at one of our picture stops.  
This was a favorite spot on the course, the music was pumping ") 
I was experiencing some nerves the first few miles of the race. It was a bit crazy to run this much just coming off injury, but I was consciously trying to be light on my feet, and kept it easy paced...11:29, 11:22, 11:11. We took 5 quick breaks along the course to snap some pics, which was a nice refresh for the legs and about mile 7, Kasey voted to turn on the timer.

We ran 4 x 1 intervals. It felt
 after the sun came up, so the walk break was refreshing, and the reduced impact was good for me.


  I earned my Princess medal. 2:38:39 avg. pace 12:07 

SO, yes I was supposed to ease into running and I plan to do that now. LOL
I haven't run since the race. 
I did the elliptical Wednesday and worked chest and shoulders.The doctor wanted me to focus on doing mostly non-impact cardio and a few short runs. I feel fine, but I don't want to be crazy. I do realize there is no way my fracture is all the way healed yet. I will admit as I was crossing the finish line, my first thought was I could still run the marathon next month...
I won't, but I have thought about it more than once. 

 My post race meal was so yummy :) 
Oh, and the warmth...it didn't last long...I woke up to a fresh coat of snow in VA Thursday morning. 

Have you ever visited Florida in the winter, or run a Disney event? 

20 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing the half marathon after getting off an injury. The weather was wonderful on Sunday after freezing during the 5k on Friday. Cute outfit! -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ~ I couldn't believe how cold it was for the 5K - almost like home. I will be reading your recap in a bit! I hope you all had a great weekend.

      Delete
  2. Aww, yay! I am so happy you could still do it! LOL! But NO to that marathon! Hee hee. Keep healing and getting better. This is so promising!

    I have not been to FL in the winter! Sounds like it would be a nice place to go though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO to the the marathon, really?! :( Just kidding...
      I hope this fracture is a one time occurrence in my journey.
      Your trip to Mexico was warmth like Florida though, and even better you stayed longer :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, we go to FL in the Winter. It's so pretty and green with lots of flowers at Disney and then you come home to brown, dead everything. Blech. I'm so happy you got to run the Princess! I think you are smart not to run yet, so you can really get that leg all healed up! I love your costume. It's different and cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I had the costume and it was just easy, I am not very creative.
      I was so excited to see green and feel warm lol Coming home and having snow again was a little sad, but they closed my office so I got lucky today!

      Delete
  4. You two are so cute! Love the outfits! Congrats on finishing and having fun. I'm glad the weather was a nice break from winter. So glad to see you back and smiling! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kasey's outfit was really cute, she had a pascal stuffed animal, but decided not to run with it.
      I am so glad to finally log some running miles, truly was good for the soul.

      Delete
  5. Looks like an amazing time!!! 82 degrees sounds heavenly, but kind of warm for a half. You did great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am thankful the first hour was spent in the dark, if I had to run the whole in the later temps I may have felt a little beat up coming from the cold. Thanks, it really was fun :)

      Delete
  6. You are gutsy. Great effort. Now stay healthy.

    Yes I have gone to Florida. Wish I were there now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it was fun :)
      I wish I were back in Florida too.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I did not know you had the go ahead to run! I am really glad you made it through the race and hope you are able to continue healing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, technically, I wasn't cleared to run that far, but I did walk a lot of it!
      He told me I could start working on 3 miles...technically.
      I still feel fine, but I think I will focus on non-impact for a while longer and not push my luck.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on having a great first couple of runs back! I can't imagine coming from up north and running a race down here in our warmth and humidity. Sometimes it even shocks me how humid it can get and I'm used to it!

    I'm glad you and run buddy had a great time! Your outfit is really cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was funny to feel sticky when it was so cool (55 at race start) but that's how it is here as well. Once the sun came up, I was a little more challenged, but by then I was doing run/walk intervals and it was such a nice break I never felt bad at all. It was wonderful to feel warm again for a few days, but I do think I would die in summer Florida weather!

      Delete
  9. We were in Orlando exactly a year ago, and it wasn't quite that warm last year. High 60s most of the week we were there, but it did warm up the last day or so (of course). The race course looks great! I may have to make it a goal for next February just so we can return to Florida with the kids next year. I'd love to make it a tradition to go to Florida every February!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun to do while you are on vacation! 60's sounds great :) I could live with that kind of temp year round and be so happy.
      Winter seems like the perfect time to get away to Florida for sure.

      Delete
    2. Any tips you would recommend if I were to run this race next year? Sign up early? Anything else you can think of?

      Delete
    3. Happy Birthday!! I would sign up for email alerts for any race you want to run. When the races are opened online they sell out in a few hours now. You have to be ready to log on when it opens and sign up, so you have to sure to be home or near wifi. The web page was so busy trying to sign up for this, the computer was running slow, we kept having to refresh and start over. I am not sure if every half sells out so quickly, but they do have a 10K and a 5K usually and they don't seem to fill as fast. It's really fun to do an event there, it is a little different from other race experiencees :) Also, be prepared for traffic. It was really busy driving in. We boarded the bus at 4 to be at the line for a 5:30 a.m. start and it was just about right. It sounds like to long, but the time went fast.

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤