Wednesday, March 11, 2015

It's Not Freezing Anymore!

Spring has finally arrived in VA 

I hope you are experiencing some relief from the snow packed winter as well.
I don't see my PT until the 17th, but I was given a few rules to follow until then.
Returning after injury: 
Rule #1 Hills are bad...mmmkay
Up and down hill put a little additional impact on the tibia bone, so walk them, or go very easy and be sure to pick up knees, and never let your feet pound. 
Rule #2 Use run/walk intervals 
Rule #3 Keep your stride small
Rule #4 Speed  Stay at a pace where exertion feels easy

Sunday I ran outside!

I walked a few minutes after I ran this and ended up jogging one more slower mile. It felt heavenly, sun, shorts, warmth...
All those rules went with the wind once I started moving, I just wanted to push.
I did make an effort to be very conscious going up and downhill, to be light on my feet, to lift my knees, but I just could not bring myself to stop and walk for a short run. 


Monday I decided to try again. It's pretty dark at 5:30ish a.m., so I figured I would be a bit slower. 



It's like walking through the dessert and finding water, you want to drink it, dip in it, pour it all over lol

I didn't push as hard as I did Sunday, but I just couldn't bring myself to walk during a 5K.  A little part of me just needs to know I can still do it, so hopefully I have that out of my system.

Basically, I get about a D+ for following rules. 

I suppose this is how folks get injured again, reigning it in takes some discipline. 

I did take 10 days of rest after returning home from Disney 


This morning was 98% humidity - this pace felt challenging 

Currently, I am caught up in one of those very busy phases of life. Too many tasks, not enough hours...I blink and three days have past. I hate it when I can't keep up with my blog reading, I really do miss my blog buddies, so as always, I promise I will catch up soon! 
Until then...


Why is it always easier to say you will do something than actually do it?  

16 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that you finally got some spring weather over there :D
    I'm also very happy you're back on your feet running again :3 please try not to push yourself too hard in the beginning now, we don't want your leg to get bad again :0
    Have a lovely day!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try to behave, I think the initial excitement took over and I just wanted to go, but i realize I should be tame lol
      Always lovely to hear from you :)

      Delete
  2. Well good on you for 10 days rest! That is huge!

    Sometimes if I write things out I am more likely to do them. Maybe if you write out your workout the night before you will have more motivation to follow it because it's the "plan"? I don't know! It's hard! Just remember how much you love running, and every walk break brings you ONE STEP CLOSER to being back where you wanna be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, I like to check things off! I need to write easy pace on my calendar :)
      I felt good about the ten days of no running after Disney. I feel my strength is building, but the scary thing is I didn't have many pain signals for this injury.

      Delete
  3. I'm so happy you are back on your running feet. It is hard to take it easy when you just want to soar! Isn't it just ah-mazing what humidity does to you? Ugh. I'm one of those that prefers cold weather running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the humidity is tough stuff. I will try to restrain my whining in the summer, but truly I just dread it.
      Thanks, HoHo, I feel so thankful to be back :)

      Delete
  4. Yay for running, even if you get a D+ for rules. Make sure to be extra cautious about recovery (no D for that one). I am much better at telling myself to do things than actually doing them too. It's hard! But when you get the desire to push, remember all the weeks off and how you don't want that to happen again. That is what I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, I don't want more time off.
      I am trying to dial it down :) I think that initial excitement just took over.

      Delete
  5. Glad you are feeling better. Today was the first day since November I think I ran outside. It was awesome. Looking forward to this spring weather. -L

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been gone so long I didn't even realize you were injured!! Looks like you are getting better though, thankful! I have to laugh at the finding water in the desert part. It's too true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A very irritating stress fracture, but I am on the mend. I know you have dealt with the frustration of an injury, I am glad to see you running happy again as well :)

      Delete
  7. I am glad you are feeling better and you can run. Be careful on the downhill, I got a stress fracture because I pushed too much during the recovery time. Here it's also warm weather, perfect to run. I spent one week in VA long time ago: beautiful places!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have traveled all over :) I love to see our pictures. I need to start trying to follow my rules - I really don't want to be hurt again. I have been challenged trying to keep things easy! Enjoy Spring ")

      Delete
  8. I'm so glad that you're getting back to running again! No matter how short the run, it's all good if you finish feeling fine!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤