Sunday, March 1, 2015

Thoughts About Disney


Just running again was fantastic! There was a little part of me that worried I wouldn't be able to run the half distance after such a long break. I felt sticky due to the humidity, and it was pretty hot after the sun came up, but I never really felt fatigue or experienced any of the dreaded leg pain I worried about. Stopping and snapping a quick pic here and there gave my legs rest. Once I turned on my timer and switched to the Galloway method about mile 7 (run/walk intervals) I felt refreshed. We went easy paced and it didn't really feel overly demanding. 

Monday walking around Magic Kingdom, I could feel that delightful muscle soreness from use, the good kind. Just enough, so I knew I used my legs...finally, I smiled every time I felt it.

Disney's Magical Express is awesome. The shuttle service from the airport to the resort and back was seamless. Disney has it down to a science and it's very convenient. The day we left, Disney took our bags to the airport in the morning and we didn't have to roll them around all day. Very nice.

Staying on property was okay, but at the All Stars Music Resort you are limited to the one cafeteria in the hotel and no walking paths. This surprised me a bit. I like to walk a lot, and would have loved if some shops, or a place to eat had been in walking distance. We did manage to put together a three mile run the day before the race, but the longest stretch of sidewalk was about a mile. The buses do run often, and it's better than trying to maneuver traffic, but I wouldn't choose the resort again, if I was going to stay for a vacation. It is the most $ effective, and my budget for this was shoestring, but be prepared the room is really small. 
You don't spend much time in your room obviously, so it's not the end of the world, but man a few feet of counter space, especially in the bathroom would have been nice.
Also, there isn't a coffee maker in the room. I am not a coffee drinker, but run buddy is, and apparently if you are used to coffee in the morning, you miss it!


Some ridiculous over packing went into this thing. 49.7 lbs when it was weighed to go home. I took too much stuff for sure and didn't wear most of it. I ended running around Magic Kingdom in my running clothes. 



Disney's service was really great. Anything you need, everyone seems very willing to help if possible. 

Magic Kingdom did seem to clear out a bit after the evening show, and that was the best part of the day. Super short waits meant multi times on Space Mountain and Splash Mountain. I love rides! 


I really enjoyed the race and the day in Magic Kingdom, but for me,  this will probably be my one and only time to visit Disney. I would love to return to Florida and experience it outside of Disney, and if I could time it, I would love to run a race (of course I want to run) as part of my vacation. 

Do you workout on vacation? Have a favorite Florida spot? Over-pack on vacation?

21 comments:

  1. We love Disney. Especially Princess wkend. We also did Magic Kingdom on Monday. We were there when it first opened and there til closing. Wanted to make the most out of our day. We pack light bc we know we always get race shirts we will be wearing. All star resorts are great for the price. But we like to stay somewhere along the monerail line so It is easy access to shops, restaurants, and parks. -L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The monerail looked great! I wish I could have done one ride on it :) I do think it would be great stay on that line. Did you go to the after party?! I never made it to anything after party.

      Delete
  2. Next time come down to south florida for a race! I will show you around!!

    I've stayed at all levels of resort at Disney, from All Star Sports to Port Orleans/Caribbean Beach to the Grand Floridian and even their campgrounds. The best bang for the buck is Port Orleans I think. You get more room than All Star but it doesn't cost an arm and a leg like the Grand Floridian or the other monorail resorts.

    .... But South Florida presents a totally different (and better) way to experience Florida! Beaches, shopping, delicious restaurants, nice running routes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A trip in winter to south Florida with my hubby sounds like a fantastic idea! I really hope we get to do a beach run together one day :)
      Great tip on the resort- just in case we ever decide to do it!

      Delete
  3. Sounds fun! I tend to over pack snacks when I travel. At least they're healthy ones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a good idea :) I did have a few things with me, but not enough. I would like to travel with the "home" on wheels you have :)

      Delete
  4. I ran WDW half 4 years ago. It was our big family trip too, so we splurged and stayed at the Polynesian. We had a great time but most likely won't go back, just because the boys are getting too old. The big disappointment was the food. Overpriced and underwhelming, we ended up eating most of our meals in Kissimmee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Polyesian did look rreally nice!! I agree everything was very overpriced food and drink wise, and I thought why?? A lot of money is being made with out soda being $3. I would have loved being able to visit a restaurant in the area just to check it out :)

      Delete
  5. Just so you'll feel better about your room, most ALL Disney resort rooms are small even at the more expensive hotels. We stayed in all price ranges...still the same tiny room. I LOVE Splash Mountain. I feel like I get my money's worth because it's such a LONG ride, compared to others. I'm so glad you were able to run Princess. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! That does make me feel better about the room.
      Splash Mountain is a very fun ride! I am so glad I got a few rounds on it lol
      I was so happy to be running again :)

      Delete
  6. What beautiful pictures! Disney isn't really on my list of places I must see (I hate crowds and also heat) but your pics of the castle make me want to see it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I am not into heat or crowds either lol I don't think I could do multi days in parks, I would be a nut case, but I am very glad I went once and of course running for me was the highlight. I can not summer heat there, I was hot in February lol

      Delete
    2. I have to admit the races are very cool! Plus a nice warm getaway this time of year is a very excellent idea.

      Delete
  7. I just caught up on reading your blog--so happy all went well with the race!! I have to admit Disney does make it easy to enjoy your family while on vacation. We took the kids once--but the cost!!!
    Someday I will do a Disney race, especially because one of my running friends is super into them...
    I always overpack on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cost is really crazy!! I can't imagine with a larger family.
      Disney races are really fun to run, totally worth it to do it at least once!

      Delete
  8. Yes, I try to run on my vacations but sometimes it is not possible (I only ran a race on my last one). I love Naples & Sarasota. The Gulf side. Yes, I over pack, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to the Gulf side- maybe one day :)
      For me, a highlight of vacation is being able to work out whenever I want.

      Delete
  9. Yes, I try to run on my vacations but sometimes it is not possible (I only ran a race on my last one). I love Naples & Sarasota. The Gulf side. Yes, I over pack, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you had such a great trip to Disney. :) I have never been to FL but would love to go. I am not a Disney fan, in fact, it annoys me (I know I am weird), so I don't think I would visit Disney World! Paul went to Tampa a few months ago with his mom and loved it. He wants to take me there someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will tell you I would never visit in the summer! It's a one and done for me :)
      Paul and you should try to do a winter trip one year too! I did love escaping winter and being warm- was lovely :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤