Saturday, March 14, 2015

Virtual Run and Leg Lifts

raceforpaws-virtual5k10k 
Kristina - www.blogaboutrunning.com  sponsored a virtual charity run, as part of  Team Paws fundraising to run the Chicago marathon. 

My virtual run was a fun one, 57 degrees out with humidity at 23%. Perfect running weather.

I signed up for the 5K because I am trying to keep my runs short for fear of re-injury. I took a mile walk to warm up and picked the least hilliest route I can run around here and took off. 
I was pretty consistent, but since I haven't run for so many weeks I am not quite as quick as calculating my finishing time off my pace, so I ran the quickest stride I could for .11 just to make sure I would hit my time goal.


Split
Time
Distance
Avg Pace
Summary29:353.119:30
19:33.51.009:34
29:38.71.009:39
39:33.21.009:33
4:49.50.117:25

I haven't consistently hit these paces in quite some time. I am thrilled at how strong my leg feels when I am running. A whopping 13 miles total last week, and they all felt pretty great. 
Friday I woke up and I could feel a pulse in my leg, I was a little worried I may have pushed too hard, so I deemed Friday a lazy day and rested with compression sleeves.  I have experienced some interesting sensations in my leg after runs; a pressure, a pulse, a dull ache, but it all subsides pretty quickly. 

Saturday I woke up and my leg felt strong and ready...but I wanted to rest it anyway, 
SO I headed to gym and hopped on the cycle to go up pretend hills again. As soon as I started pedaling, I discovered my legs had some lingering fatigue in them, even after a rest day. I geared down a little and went about my workout. 

I forgot what tough stuff somewhat speedier running is. 

Here's my new spin on leg lifts. I have been trying to get rid of the roll in my middle for so long, and I am only making slight progress (the joys of 48), but maybe this move will help. 



Thanks Kristina for hosting the virtual run. One more medal to add to my newly displayed running memories...
Run buddy gave me the hanger for Christmas. Hubby blew up the picture and hung my running ribbons this week -  love my honey :) 


Do you do leg lifts? 

22 comments:

  1. I do the legs lifts but not side to side- that looks difficult! I like the music you put to your vid. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do forward ones and started adding in sets side to side recently hoping it will help ")

      Delete
  2. I wish I had the weather you had for my race. Great job on the 5k. Ooh. I love your medal display and the picture too. I got 2 new racks for Christmas, one handmade by hubs. Have I hung them yet? Um...no. Holy cow! Those leg lifts look hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate rough weather for a race :( I will be by to read about it.
      You need to hang the racks and snap a pic! I know you have oodles of medals. How nice the hubby made you one :)

      Delete
  3. Your medal display and picture looks great. Congrats on completing your virtual run
    Glad to hear that your legs are feeling strong again. -L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice pacing on that 5k! I don't do leg lifts, but my trainer has me do all kinds of stuff with my legs. Lots of squats and lunges. At home I do a lot of clamshells for the hips. It's always a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I go to PT this week so maybe I will get some new ideas :)

      Delete
  5. Great job on the 5K, you did amazing coming back from your injury!

    I love your medal display and picture, way to go hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the 5K :)

    Love the music you put in the video :3 you made that leg lift move look so easy, holy wow! I don't think I'm able to do anything like that :')

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks M :)
      You most certainly can do the leg lifts miss 100 a day crunches lol - it will help the six pack goal!

      Delete
  7. I am glad to hear that your recovery is going well. I still have to do my 5k virtual race!
    I like the medal hanger--mine hang on the corner of the bulletin board in the kitchen--I should make one and hang it by the treadmill.
    I like your comment about 48--I am not far behind you. I find I have to more "purposefully" recover, and that I need extra rest days here and there. I also am really finding out that I NEED to do strengthening. When I was younger, when fatigued I could fall back on my "scrappy" strength--not anymore!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should do a display near your treadmill, that would be a perfect spot!
      The closer I get to the 5 number the harder it gets, but I keep trying ") I agree we need to focus on quality recovery.

      Delete
  8. Great job on your 5K! I'm so glad you're able to have so many pain-free runs these days. You'll be back in marathon-training shape before you know it! :)

    Take it easy on the hard effort, though. I'm glad you listened to your body and took it easy after the race. It's just as easy to get injured training for a fast 5K as it is training high mileage for a marathon or ultra! We don't want you back in injuryville after working so hard on your recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hanna :)
      I go the PT tomorrow, I hope he lets me keep running! I don't want want to be back in the bench for sure, but I am going to try to do whatever he suggests! Fingers crossed :)

      Delete
  9. Love the video! You are rocking those legs lifts out with no trouble! I can completely relate to the fatigue after faster run days. Getting back in the swing of it takes time! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EB ") It sure does take time, I really forgot how the fatigue can creep up on you - but I love it!!

      Delete
  10. Hooray for 13 miles last week! Progress!
    and good job taking it easy when you woke up to your leg feeling off. so important to listen to our bodies, sometimes I am not very good about it :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so excited! I had a set back this past week after my PT visit,so I am hoping I am going to be able to run a little soon :/

      Delete
  11. Leg lifts, no, but I should! That cycle w/ the monitor is awesome. I haven't tried one of those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the best bike ever! It is a great distraction :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤