Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Boston


http://www.baa.org/races/boston-marathon/event-information/one-boston-day.aspx

Last year, I wrote this about Boston 2014...
Boston 2014 was the kind of day many needed. A wonderful high to balance the darkness, a chance to honor loved ones, a step toward healing, a memory to cherish, and for some I am sure it felt like a chance for a fresh start. 
Boston Strong :) 

Cheers to a wonderful event Monday! Extra special wishes of health and speed to Heather from http://girlgoesrunning.blogspot.com/
and Lora http://www.crazyrunninggirl.com/
and Janae http://www.hungryrunnergirl.com/
and if you are running it and I didn't know, please tell me in the comments!

I told this story before, but it seems appropriate today...
My father was an amputee, he was hit by a car and his leg was crushed. Infection spread to his bone and he went through a few surgeries till eventually there wasn't enough of a leg to attach a prosthesis too. My dad spent 20 years on crutches before he passed away in 1986.
My pop got pretty good with those crutches though, he would play with me and try to "run" and he was fast! He dreamed about running. He often talked about running as fast as he could while growing up, and he missed being able to have that wonderful feeling of exertion. 
My Dad before he lost below the knee cap 
My Dad didn't take many pictures with his missing leg, I have very few (yes that's me)
That's me at 2 years old - my Dad battled infection for years after this
I admit, while injured it was easy to feel discouraged, and I certainly have felt irritated on a run when it isn't going quite right, but I shouldn't...
I should be grateful I am on my own two feet. 

Whether you can run like those who can qualify for Boston, or a bit slower like me (◕‿◕) running is a gift! 
Try to take a moment on your next run and just enjoy how wonderful it is be strong and running!

Hope your runs are happy ones, 
Karen 

21 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! (It makes me miss my Dad who passed away 25 years ago.) You are so right. We should never take it for granted we have our own two feet. From the picture, it looks like you favor your Mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly :)
      You had to say goodbye to your Dad a long time ago too :( It's hard, we'll always miss them.
      I know I have been pretty whiny while injured, I needed this reminder!
      I think I do favor my mom more.

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful memory and a great reminder of what a gift our health and mobility is. I love the spirit of Boston and hope to go back and run the 5k someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      I admit, I haven't been happy with all my "aging" aches and pains lately, but in the big picture I am still very fortunate.
      The 5K sounds fun! It would be awesome just to be able to soak up the atmosphere!

      Delete
  3. Wow, definitely a good thing to keep in mind when we're whining about not being able to run as fast or far as we like! Your dad sounds like an amazing source of inspiration. Love that last photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan :) I do think about how sad it would be if I could never have that feeling of running with the wind in my hair. Reminding myself to be content with where i am at.

      Delete
  4. Running is a gift. I bet your Dad really did miss that feeling of running fast. These kind of stories really put a lot in perspective for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a gift! I enjoyed my mile and half this morning because it's all I had time for, but it still makes me feel better ;)

      Delete
  5. Great perspective! We're lucky to be able to run.

    ReplyDelete
  6. a great reminder that we shouldn't take our health and mobility for granted. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very good reminder to be thankful for all we are given and what our bodies can do. It should not be taken for granted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to remember this! Harder some days than others :)

      Delete
  8. A great reminder and a beautiful post about dad. I am sure he was an inspiration and I am also sure that often, when you run, you feel him near you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the send off wishes Karen! And thanks for the inspirational story about your Dad. <3 Sometimes we need a good reminder not to take things like health forgranted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are going to have a great race! I can't wait to hear about it :) Have a wonderful trip !

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤