Monday, April 20, 2015

Petersburg Half Marathon ❤



I have missed some fun events due to my stress fracture.

March (I missed)
  • the chance to run my 1st marathon
  • a trail race (half marathon) 10 minutes from home 
  • the 10K that I've done three times in the past.
April (I missed)
  • my favorite 15K race, I've run the past two years.

I didn't want to miss out on another close to home event, so I decided to run the Petersburg Half Marathon. The web page promised battle re-enactments taking place while you run by! Sounded fun to me. note: Petersburg is an old civil war town. 



To say I am under-trained is an under statement. My longest runs the past two months have been one 10K and a few five milers. I think part of me is afraid I won't be able to run the distance anymore, and I feel like I am losing my identity as a runner. It's just like the pace problem, as soon as I could run again I started pushing because I just needed to prove to myself I could still do it. I don't want to cave and admit I've lost a bit of my fitness level while injured. Hard headed...
Anyway, summer will cure that, I have a limited window of time 
(right now) before it is consistently 90 degrees and humid. 

SO, I decide to run and all I could do to prepare, was get enough sleep and watch my food choices. So, I tried (•◡•) my best. 

 Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday...

I filled and drank this at work
took healthy lunches
and ate healthy stuff at dinner 

Race morning it was 100% humidity.  The start was at 7 a.m. and the temperature quickly climbed to 75, and it was sunny. Oh and hills! Check out the course elevation. 426 ft. total elevation for the run


Runners be like...finally some downhill! 

I clicked off a few good miles 9:38, 9:37, 9:46, but I wasn't breathing as easy I should have been, due to the humidity...so 10:21, 10:27, 10:28 and I felt better. Then, the hill work started zapping my energy even at the easier pace. 

The Galloway method saves me again. I turned on my timer, and the little break during mile 7 enabled me to run all of mile 8, and at mile 9, I started the 4 x 1(run/walk intervals) again. 

I saw my hubby at mile 8. Yes, he is ♡ amazing to wake up at 5 a.m. and go to race on a Saturday morning! Seeing him on the course always gives me a humongous pick me up. 


I was really hot at this point, but seeing Kenny was a definite mood lifter, can you tell?!


The second hour of this event there wasn't any shade on the course, just warm humid sunshine, but I was surviving due to the decent supply of Gatorade along the way. I was drinking the Gatorade, and dumping the water down my shirt!  I was surrounded by the same few ladies for the second half of the event, and everyone was taking short walk breaks, we would fall back, then catch back up to each other. We whined together about the heat, which made me feel better I wasn't the only one struggling, and we tried to encourage each other to get to the end.  I told myself I was running the last mile no matter what, no walk breaks on the last mile! At the mile 12 sign, I realized I had done pretty well time wise, and knew if I could just pick it up a little I was going to finish with a pretty decent time. Well....(hear the loud sigh) mile 12 is where my lack of training showed up. I tried to dig deep, and when the timer beeped...I just. couldn't. skip. the. walk. break. 

I was spent. I felt a bit defeated, and I had a little moment. I spent the next minute telling myself there was barely any distance left to cover, but no tenacity found. I could not make my feet run until I heard the beep.  My last mile was 11:05. 
2:14:51 my official finish time. 
Crossing the finish line was a challenge, the final stretch was across the old brick streets and I had no hope of accelerating on it.


I reminded myself at this point, it was silly to fret over a finish that could have been maybe a minute better. I had just finished 13. 1 freaking ❤ miles...
My grumpiness with myself quickly passed when I got a hold of 
my awesome looking medal! 



After race set up was pizza, pancakes, oatmeal, bananas, and beer (which I only had a sip of) and of course water! I downed two bottles and overall I was in good shape, the only thing revolting a bit was my tummy. 

I have not experienced any digestive issues since January. After the race I had that angry rumbling in my tummy, and I was bloated up like a beach ball. I am glad I wasn't far from home. After my shower I had to lay down for about 20 minutes and let my tummy get it together. I was grateful the episode passed pretty easily. Sorry about the TMI...
It's amazing how distance running can jumble up my insides.

Overall, it was a fabulous day! It was a fun course to run even though it was challenging. Honestly with the heat and humidity only getting worse from here, it was probably my last chance to run a decent half until Fall, so I am glad I seized the opportunity. 

A pretty sunrise to start the day
All photo cred goes to my sweet hubby :) 



Battle re-enactments
All I could think about was Beautiful Creatures lol 



It is always so fun before you get sweaty! 

Ewww! But I was dumping water over me to be fair lol 

yes. I. love. running.




Ouch! These bricks hurt


Woohoo! I am not dead! It is all good :) 


      Sadly, you can see how much my tummy had bloated - it's never totally flat, but it was puffed up!

I was so flipping hot!


Have you ever run to the boom of a cannon? 
Do you feel like it's lunch time when you are done running, even if it's only 9:30 in the morning? 

22 comments:

  1. Great job! You did it!! I bet that felt amazing to get across the finish line finally. I love all the great pictures, way to go for your husband taking lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christy! I was so happy to be done LOL Hubby is good to me :)

      Delete
  2. Great job! You are always smiling in your race pictures!!
    Finishing the race on cobbles would be extremely difficult! Ouch! I can't believe it is that hot and humid there already! (I can't handle the heat...)
    Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully the cobble stretch wasn't too long, but it did hurt lol
      The humidity in this part of VA is tough stuff it hangs around through September, I am not a fan! I just have to slow down or I get sick in the heat.
      Thank you :)

      Delete
  3. Yes to both questions! I had the same humidity at my race. Just FYI...your time kicked my time's tail. LOL. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will have to read your recap and see what happened! You are so much faster. I will stop by soon :)

      Delete
  4. Way to push through and finish strong in those conditions! That is some medal! I felt ill-prepared for my race this past weekend as well. 13 is no joke!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I agree 13 is nothing to sneeze at !

      Delete
  5. YAY!!! Congrats Karen! Great job! I am so impressed. Way to stick to it and run a great race. Cobbles are such a challenge. Big props to you hubby for all the photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EB :) I am just so glad I did it, I needed it before summer.The heat will challenge my sanity, it will be nice to remember I did it.

      Delete
  6. Congrats, You are amazing. You beat me and I actually trained for my half.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Darlene! Just hard headed lol
      I will be by to read the recap, must have been a rough weekend you and Holly are faster than me.

      Delete
  7. Oh yay! You did so well, congrats! And it was so smart to switch to run/walk for a few miles! :) I am NOT ready for 100% humidity days, eww!

    What a cool medal!

    And hey, if you run, you are a runner. Doesn't matter how far/fast/whatever! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim :) I don't think I would have been able to pull of that time if I had not switched to the intervals, my pace actually stayed pretty consistent until the last mile.
      I do like this medal!

      Delete
  8. Congrats! You picked a hard one for getting back into racing. Humidity makes running so hard! Battle re-enactments and running - such a fun combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The booms were pretty cool :)
      I enjoy a challenge! I hope to do this one again next year!

      Delete
  9. Great finish time for those conditions! FYI, I ran a half in Fort DeSoto state park last March and had the same finish time. This northerner just wilted in the humidity!

    Awesome medal, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) It is always hard to change the conditions we are accustomed to in our running. When I visit Montana I have a new level of runners high in the low humidity conditions!

      Delete
  10. Go girl! You look so strong in all of your photos. :) Boy do I know what it feels like to miss out on races. Hopefully this is the start of some healthy running for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan :) I sure hope healthy running is ahead! Summer will bring me months of slow running for sure lol

      Delete
  11. Congratulations on your race. I bet it was difficult with the humidity. Sounds like a very eventful race with many things going on. You sure ate healthy days leading up to the race. That medal is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The medal is one of the best ones I have :) It wasn't an easy course and humidity was tough, but I am so glad I did it!

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤