Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Thankful Tuesday

I have hermit issues at times...
I like solitude.  I enjoy starting my day quiet, alone, pounding the pavement, not passing another soul, just a few cars here and there...
I love having those moments to myself before work. I love starting in the dark and ending when there is just a crack of light; it gives me a sense of privacy and tranquility.
I love Spring weather.


Monday, I woke early - when I see this on my weather app it motivates me to get up and go!

Crisp and clear. I can push, I can enjoy it, I can get my breathing easily under control, this is my happy place.



Monday morning - 5 happy miles 
I decided to get up at 5 a.m. again this morning (Tuesday) and see how my legs would hold up for back to back to runs. I am eight weeks out of the boot now. I am enjoying some very happy runs, but my stamina has still not returned. I run, then I usually rest a lot.

It is still pretty dark at 5ish a.m., so I can't see my Garmin unless I turn the light on. I adjust my running pace solely by feel. I kind of like not seeing my splits until after I run. I have been pleasantly surprised. Paces I normally struggle to hit, I have been consistently sustaining a few miles at a time. I seriously have no idea where this is coming from, but it sure is fun! I'll ride the wave while it lasts! I know eventually I will settle in to my "summer" pace.

This morning's run felt a little challenging to my tired legs.
I worked really hard for my 5 miles today. I had a few moments when my form got sloppy and I had to think about picking up my knees, slow up a little, but somehow I ran faster than yesterday. I averaged a 9:22 pace. Craziness...

There are moments in the early morning hours, I don't want to get out of bed...I LOVE my snooze button, but I have tried to keep this "goal" going... 



These wonderful Spring mornings will soon fade away into a humid, sticky, 85 degree morning haze, and I will be thankful for waking up early and making the most of my Spring. 

I am still in recovery mode. I do wonder if I am running too much. I really am not sure. I am trying to go off feel. 
I ran 15 miles last week and honestly it felt like plenty.  I was worn out from the 15 miles I ran. I am not sure how much more I will run this week, but I will be thankful for every step!

Just four runs last week....
Tuesday 
and three more miles on the treadmill later that day...

Thursday
my joyous progression run

Saturday 


Anything you are thankful for today? Do you have hermit issues like me? Do you love to run by feel? 


28 comments:

  1. I think running a faster pace comes more naturally when you are in the dark and can't see your splits! I have noticed that a few times, myself!

    And I love quiet alone time. LOL :) I want more of it!

    I am so happy that you've been getting some pain free runs in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think having to really adjust off feel has helped me. I used to try to not peek at the Garmin in the daylight, but it's easy to cheat :)
      Alone time is good! recharge :)
      Thanks Kim, I am enjoying running again.

      Delete
  2. I'm an evening runner, not a morning runner (occasionally try to switch, would be easier schedule-wise in some ways, but goes against my nature!), but I have some of the same lovely solitude sometimes, in the later evenings. Especially in the fall or spring, where for am, say, 8 pm run it's just starting to get dark, not much traffic around, it's really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand. I am not a natural morning person at all.
      Evenings are that way! Last summer I tried some evening runs and during the week the neighborhood is nice and quiet, my issue with night running is usually my belly. After eating all day I feel funky sometimes.

      Delete
  3. So happy that you are running again - I am thankful for the sunshine today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mee too! The sunshine and nice temps are good for the soul.

      Delete
  4. I ran much of my last race by feel and used my watch mostly just for the clock. Before training for the 50 miler, I was running four times a week for awhile so I could have two rest days. Sometimes it's nice to see people at the park where I run, but sometimes I realize that I was the only one out there that morning and that's fun, too, kind of like I own the whole park!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did amazing in your 50 miler!
      I think my body will always need rest days.
      I love that in the morning, I feel like I own the roads sometimes lol

      Delete
  5. I wouldn't call myself a hermit...I get outside and do my thing, but I do like to be alone a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I check my Garmin under the street lights! I've got one 1/2 mile stretch of road that I run by feel and can surprise myself with the pace...and then I have to run back uphill. LOL. I cherish my early morning runs. It's me time. You are do well after "the boot". I'm proud of you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly :)
      I have the same issues, I have a few nice stretches I can really go on, but there is always an uphill coming. I have a few hills...69 ft., 89 ft. and a few are only 30 or so, but when you are doing that 5 or 6 times during a run it gets tiring lol

      Delete
  7. I have hermit issues all the time! My love for solitude extends far beyond my enjoyment of running alone with no one around. I just love being at home with no one but Adam and Cecil within talking distance of me! Don't I sound like a really lovely person? haha

    As someone who is trying to stop hitting snooze so I can start running in the AM, I am going to bookmark this post for inspiration! I need to get up and get out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I relate to all your hermit issues...
      I actually have days when I run a little later on the weekends and I will feel grumpy if I pass someone and have to be friendly and smile LOL You sound just fine to me!
      I am not a natural morning person, it is really hard, but it does really make me feel good when I sit my butt in the chair at work to know I have run a few miles :)

      Delete
  8. Yep! also have hermit issues. I love getting up early just to have quiet time to myself. I need it, I crave it and if I don't get it I get crabby! I could be perfectly content to go all day and not have to talk to anyone all day. Then I am happy to see my kids get off the bus and come home to me.

    I only do early morning runs in the summer and it is almost time to start it up again, I am excited! It's my favorite time of day to be out running when the sun is just about to come up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We are so similar in that way Christy. I could go all day and not talk a lot of the time.
      Crave is a good way to describe it, I think especially when you have younger children you just need that time to recharge :)
      Summer morning runs in MT are the best! I have been in Whitefish in July and August and loved it!

      Delete
  9. Yes I love to run by feel and I also have hermit issues. This is why I don't lift at the gym near as much as I should have this winter. I do have the weights to get it done here, but not the EXACT weights so for some lifts I can't properly push myself at home. But summer is around the corner and hopefully I will get into better habits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is just around the corner!
      I know what you mean about the gym, sometimes I just don't want to do it, but I can push my self when I am there.

      Delete
  10. I love some me time too. It's actually a requirement for me. It gives me time to process and think things through. Good week. I would continue to ease into it as your body allows. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me time is very important to thinking things through :)
      I am trying to find a balance easing into the mileage. I more than doubled last month, I hope its not too much too soon.

      Delete
  11. I thrive on those early morning hours all to myself! Sounds like your running is really coming around post-boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely isn't it :) It's good to take care you before your day goes full motion.
      I feel good, hopefully my bones will hold up.

      Delete
  12. I DO have hermit issues!! I also like the peaceful time in the morning before everyone is up, but I don't have enough time to get out and run then! I haven't run by feel, because I like having my Garmin on so it automatically logs in my miles, otherwise I wouldn't do it! When I run on trails I have an easier time running by feel. I am not looking forward to the humidity in the mornings either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are still in get the kids ready mode! The time will come when you can get out in the a.m.
      I wear my Garmin, and track everything, I just CA'T SEE it until I get home lol - it's been so darn dark out.

      Delete
  13. I definitely have some hermit issues. I think I am torn constantly between my hermit tenancies and my desire to be social. Nice pace on your run! Enjoy those cool days. We are going to be battling heat here too soon...spring/fall running is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Spring is a joy! I am trying to enjoy it now, because you are so right - my days are numbered and summer is long!!

      Delete
  14. I love the hermit mode, especially in the dark. It gives me a sense of peace.
    Recovery mode with that mileage and that pace? You are a brave runner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree such a nice sense of peace in the a.m.
      I am not sure what's going on with my pace, I am normally not so speedy, I can only attribute it to the wonderful cool weather, which will be leaving soon.

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤