Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Two and Tooo Many

Two steps forward and a few steps back. 
That seems to be my pattern recovering from this stupid stress fracture
photo cred
I have a tightness/sore spot happening in my hamstring. 
I am sure it has something to do with being in the boot for five weeks and not bending or using my muscles in a normal way, because this has never been a problem area for me since I started running. 
My calf muscles are now feeling awesome, and I have not a hint of any pulsing, or soreness in the injury area when I run, but it took about 11 runs to get that point. Oddly, I still can't plank, it makes my shin ache. 
I guess it will just take a few more runs and sufficient rest to get my hamstring back to full strength.  Patience...I am trying to have patience
I suspect this is from pushing the pace on my last few runs. It is much harder to live in easy paced land than I expected. I missed running so much. I just want to push till I pant. 

This is not logical at all! 

I did better easing up on my pace on Tuesday's run - it was 92% humidity, but I could feel the tightening during my last mile. 


Time to rest...sighhhh, it's my own fault. !!*#%#!!!



If you aren't an animal lover this post will probably just make you think I am crazy. 
These are our furry babies.



I should not work full time and have this many animals, but I do.
I do spend a crazy amount of time pet cleaning every day, and it is a lot of responsibility, and if I could choose a perfect number I think I should have stopped at four, but I love them all. Working full time and trying to clean up behind these little critters consumes a large chunk of my life.
Once you add in my gym time and running, you can see why my closet cleaning, meal prepping, and other important chores in life I'd like (should) to do, take a back seat. There are not enough hours in the day.

As my animals age I will not be letting any more move in. I love them, but this is too many.
Hubby and I have a heart for animals, but I look forward to the day we just have one or two. We've had a lot of pets over the years! Each of our little critters has their own rescue story, and I will be adding tabs with a quick narrative explaining how we ended up with them one day soon. 

Hope your runs are happy ones, 
Karen 

Tell me your about your love of furry creatures or not...
If you tell me I am crazy, I won't be offended, I think this is too many. 

Has your hamstring ever boycotted your running before? 

I am adding tabs on my home bar about my rescue kitties. Click if you want to read about them :) 
Otto's Story
BooBoo

26 comments:

  1. Too many! I can't deal with more than two due to shedding and the kitty litter!

    I hope your muscle feels better:) My injury is feeling a little better....hopefully anither day if rest will do the trick! I also think it had to do with pushing speed during my runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shedding and litter are out of control at my house!

      Hopefully we can be in running shape by this weekend :) I am glad you are seeing improvement.
      I must slow down now lol

      Delete
  2. It's been humid here all week (foggy mornings!) and I'm not liking it. I hope you are foam rolling your hamstring every day! Who has time for patience? Ha! My dogs consume a lot of my time. Well, they actually run our household if truth be told.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't nobody got time for that lol
      I have iced and rolled with my stick some :)
      Kids and pets do seem rule usually!

      Delete
    2. Think about a foam roller. You can sit on your hamstring and use your whole body weight to work it out. I'm doing it right now. LOL

      Delete
    3. I should have done it at the gym tonight! I am just being lazy not doing it, I did ice again though :) Go Holly!

      Delete
  3. We have two cats and we love them so much but I don't think I could have more than two. Every time we are at the pet store we are of course tempted to adopt another, but our apartment is just way too small for that many animals and their litter boxes. Plus, I kind of like having just two. It helps us bond more with each of them, I think, and they can keep each other company.

    Ever since I started marathon training, I have been feeling some soreness in my hamstring too. Usually after long or fast runs. But it has gotten better as I go along, since my muscles are getting stronger as my body gets used to the high mileage. I'm sure that will happen for you, too as you ease back into things - give your body time to get used to it. Whenever I have soreness in one area it's usually an indicator that I need to do more strength training focused on that area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stay at two Hanna :) !! That would be the move that will keep everyone sane, it does change the dynamic each time a new furry friend shows up.
      Picking up the pace really does seem to impact my hamstrings the most now. I hope that's the case, I just need to rebuild again and as I get used to it, I will be able to run with out these extended breaks!

      Delete
  4. I had 5 cats but one died so we have 4. Yes a lot of time and money spent on them. They are worth it..some days though they drive me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Four is a lot as well!
      Ha! I SO relate to they drive me crazy, but are worth it lol

      Delete
  5. Karen, it hurts just to read about you overcoming your injury. However, hearing the details is fascinating because I find the body completely puzzling. Especially when it is hurt. Glad to hear you are taking it slow and giving yourself rest. As for your furry love, I've only had a dog growing up and I hated my brother's pet hamster, but I can understand your love for your cats. Too darling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just want to be off the injured/resting list! The body is puzzling, work one thing out and new thing pops up- it could just be my almost 50 yr. old body lol
      We had a hamster for a very short spell, not my favorite pet for sure. Did your hubby have pets growing up? I swear it is easier without them, especially with young children, but they do give lots of love :)

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear that your hamstring has been giving you problems. As much as you don't want to, rest just may be the answer. We love our furry animals too, yellow lab ba to be exact. But I'm sure you know that by now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, rest is usually the answer :) Just not the answer I want lol
      You have a lovely yellow lab :)

      Delete
  7. I have 2 Bichons (dogs). I went and got the first one (2 hour drive) and when we got home she looked at her reflection in the oven door and cried and I went back and got her sister... :) They have each other for company, although training 2 puppies wasn't easy!
    My experience with hamstrings is usually too much, too soon...Do you have a foam roller? I bet that would help. It's another bump in the road...YOU WILL GET THERE!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your Bichons are so cute!! 2 puppies would be hard, we had a time with one lol
      I do not have a foam roller, I have a stick. I could roll at the gym. I did ice again last night and that really helps. I still haven't run, elliptical last night :)
      By the time I get to run it'll be 100 degrees here and the pace problem will take care of itself lol

      Delete
  8. Aww! I love seeing all your fur babies! I need to go read their stories! Ours is an only child :) Next time, maybe two for us! :D

    Oh man. That totally makes sense about your hamstring, I suppose. It still needs time. LAME!!! Ha ha ha. JK, go slow, let it heal, and all that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still have a few kitties left to post for :)
      I hate all these aches and pains but they are just bumps in the road hopefully!

      Delete
  9. Awww I am jealous that you have 6 cats. :) We had 3, but poor Basic passed away last year, so now just Chrissy and Jelly. They are A LOT of work. Basic wasn't any work at all. She barely shed and just rolled with the punches. The other two are super high maintenance. I couldn't imagine if I had 6 with the personality of my two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a few very big personalities in my group. Misty is the easy one lol
      I love them but they take over the house!

      Delete
  10. I feel for you! I completely understand how hard it is to stay easy on runs. It killed me to wait almost 2 months to start pushing again, but I think it's helped. I just have one dog, but furry ones can be so much work, esp this time of year with the shedding. I feel like I am a professional vacuumer at this point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am with you, I vacuum a lot! and when I don't things can look real bad in a day or two lol

      Delete
  11. Love your animal pics!! So sweet. We only have two animals but if we had a larger house we'd have more! Bummer about your hamstring. :( I hope that goes away soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to find so many that need homes, that's how we ended up with so many. They are really sweet :)
      Fingers crossed I seem to be making progress with the hamstring.

      Delete
  12. One thing I'm good at is slowing down in the humidity! Hope your hamstring heals quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really my last hoorah before it gets super hot here and I will be seeing 11:00 min. miles if I am lucky lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤