Monday, May 25, 2015

That's A Wrap

I have been reading Dr. Metzl's book, Running Strong, and I am trying to introduce some of his Iron Strength work out moves into my gym sessions. 
Baby steps...this is out of my comfort-zone, so I am trying to slowly introduce the changes and build as I get more proficient.

Here's how my past week wrapped up: 

Complete rest. I worked hard Sunday morning and ran Sunday evening, so I needed Monday off. 


Before work - walk/run 2.60 miles, 12:48 avg. pace. 
After work - I gave the treadmill a try, 4 miles in 42 minutes. I tried to warm up really slow, and ease the speed up, but it is still causing some aching in my shin after I use it. I am not sure the treadmill is going to be a viable option this summer. Spent about 40 min. working legs, glutes, and my calf muscles. 
Trying to focus my work outs to meet the big picture goal - run healthy! 


  22 minutes on the elliptical and about 80 min. upper body. Good, productive session with my sweetie.



 



 complete rest 


 
I was feeling good for this run, then had a very strange bonk...lack of long runs in my life maybe. I was feeling okay at mile 5. Mile 6 my legs started feeling  tired, so I turned on my timer, which is always set for 4 X 1.  I actually maintained a good pace even with the walk breaks, because the humidity was so delightfully low. Mile 7 my feet exploded. Burning, aching, they just hurt, especially the left one.  Finally, I hit pause on my Garmin, sat down on the curb, and took my socks and shoes off, wiggled my toes and loosened my shoe laces. It did the the trick, I felt revived, I was on my way until I hit 9.33 miles  :) 

It was odd the aching came on so sudden, maybe I am just not use to the mileage any more. 
Later I felt my picture was a farce...if I stop during a run, is my avg. pace really my avg. pace? Technically, that was my moving pace...maybe I shouldn't have posted the picture. 


  Cycling 5.25 miles.
Cycling up pretend hills makes me bust a serious sweat lol 
I dedicated about ten minutes to static stretching. Oh, how my legs love it  Spent about 70 min. working with weights, and on my new moves. 


Dr. Metzl recommends doing bicep curls and shoulder presses balancing on one leg. It's hard to do heavy, and balance on one leg for 12 reps, so I only used 15 lb. weights, but I am going to keep at it. 
I also tried a few dumbell split squats. Usually my left side gives me all the trouble, but I felt something dead center in my right quad as soon as I took my first step back. I can almost get my left knee on the floor, but when I tried to take my right knee down, it started to feel tight and tug when I was about two inches down...another weak link? or just sore from running Saturday?  I am not sure, I will have to try it again later this week and see what happens.
The good news from the book, I already do most of the stretches he recommends, and I love to ice, which he does too :) I iced that sore spot in my quad last night. Opinion time - if I stop during a run, is my avg. pace really my avg. pace? Have you tried to do curls and shoulder presses balancing on one leg?  Did you do anything fun for Memorial Day?

29 comments:

  1. I'm not too picky about the pace and I usually let my Garmin pause/stop when I stop for a drink or whatever. Yes, that exercise while balancing on one leg is hard! I made cupcakes after my run today. Happy Memorial Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Balancing sure did challenge me lol Cupcakes sound good :)

      Delete
  2. I usually stop my Garmin for a water break or to retie a shoe. I'm always skeptical when I see pictures of runner's watches. I know a lot of runners stop and take dozens of pictures. If I stopped that often (and also caught my breath), would my pace be lower? I need to try that. LOL. I like your idea of calling it moving pace. Whether it's average or moving...you still had a great run. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I take a 5 min. break I can run some 9:00 minute miles! I usually don't stop, my pauses are usually to cross streets, and sometimes i do have to wait, but in the heat I anticipate a lot more breaks. I think I better leave the watch running since it bothered my conscious LOL
      It really wasn't a bad run for me, I find I can manage when the humidity is low :)

      Delete
    2. I question those Garmin screen shots like HoHo, too. But, if you are stopping to cross streets, get rocks of the shoes, go to the bathroom, eh, no big deal. :) If it really adds up though, I think that is bad... especially if you think you are training for race pace!

      Delete
  3. Really, I think it only matters what you think .If I have to stop and tie my shoe or something, I don't pause my Garmin, I am afraid of messing up the data by pressing the wrong thing! If I stop to take pictures, I don't care about my pace that run...I wear the Garmin even on easy runs, because it logs in the distance for me. Otherwise, I wouldn't do that either!
    I haven't tried balancing on one leg while using weights. I have done them while on a Basso (I think that is what it is called).
    I was thinking about getting the "Meb for Mortals" book, apparently there is a lot of usable advice in that book too...
    It seems like you are doing a great job cross training. I think you are doing a great job building your mileage back up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cherry :) I honestly feel like I am losing so much stamina, but I am trying not to freak to much. Sometimes I think I will never run another half, but I hope that is not so.
      I have seen folks on the Basso, it makes me nervous!
      I am sure Meb's book is great :) I am still trying to get stronger!

      Delete
  4. I don't worry too much about moving vs actual pace, I pause when I need to and resume when I move again. I always pause to tie my shoe, cross fences, etc but not if I am just walking for a bit to recover. Great run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's good, I am feeling like less of a cheat now lol

      Delete
  5. Good job on your workouts! You have to do what feels the most comfortable to you, even if it does mean stopping every now and then. When I do ever stop during a long run. I have a habit of just pausing my GPS for a few seconds then I start up again. I had to work today on Memorial day so nothing fun but a run after I got off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lacey, I guess it was a busy travel weekend for you, but at least you got a run in :)

      Delete
  6. Unless I am stopping for traffic ( which I don't normally do because I don't make a habit of running where there are lots of cars) I don't pause my Garmin. I figure what ever is slowing me down, ( Taking drinks, Tying shoes, walking, etc) can happen during a race so I might as well just prepare for it. I can't wait to get out and run again! -M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true.
      Most times I will leave my Garmin running, but I do have a few busy roads to cross, so certain times of the day I will get trapped with a line of cars and I will pause it,. but I should just let it run ;) I hope you see some progress soon!

      Delete
  7. I don't worry about my pace. I stop and tie my shoe, take photos, etc. I only care in a race.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely stop my Garmin if I stop on my run for some reason- tie shoe, potty break, water break, whatevs. I don't factor the stop into my avg. pace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome :) This has been interesting how everyone approaches it a little different, but I don't feel like "cheated" anymore lol

      Delete
  9. I don't think it really matters if you pause your Garmin to fix your shoes or drink water. I normally don't just because it's easy to keep it running, but I don't think it effects your pace too much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I pause my watch when I stop for traffic, but I usually keep it going if I stop to walk. I don't worry much about pace unless I am training for something, and even then I know that my race pace is most always faster. As long as I get some progression runs in or do strides, I feel ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strides may be a great way to survive the humidity! I think I will be falling back on-the Galloway method a lot of the summer.

      Delete
  11. Thinking about the average pace thing makes me think of how I have seen people purposefully manipulate their watch. I used to run with a friend who took walk breaks, but paused the watch then, so it looked like she was faster overall. Weird, right? I still use my average pace as my average even though if you look at most of my runs, there will be a difference between overall time and moving time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I felt like- good word, manipulator. I often have an actual and moving difference of maybe a 30 sec. to a min because of cars. This particular run it was about 3 minutes...I think for summer, I will just leave the Garmin running and overall will be what it is!
      You know using the Galloway method for those last few miles, my laps were still 9:41, 9:58, & 9:53, it was just a good day. Often when I used the Galloway method last summer I was easily in the 11:00's - I am positive that is coming! The humidity has kicked in full force again today.

      Delete
  12. I usually stop my garmin at red lights, etc. If it's all training, then I don't worry too much about how it effects my average pace.

    I've heard really good things about the ironstrength book. I've done some of the videos online and really like them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great book. I am worried about some of these moves and my finicky knees, but I am going to try :) I will have to look at the videos, I just downloaded the blippar app

      Delete
  13. Of course, if you stop on the run, you still count it as training. Don't sweat it. My Garmin is set to pause whenever I stop. I take a lot of selfies, you know...

    I love Dr Metzl's book. I love him. His videos on Runners World have talked me off the ledge more than once!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying the book! I need to watch his videos. He has quite a list of accomplishments ;)

      Delete
  14. You had a great week! I agree with Wendy: no worries if you pause on a run. It happens. Dr. M's Iron Strength workout is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The workout is really hard. It's a lot of things I am not currently doing. I am going to try to add them in one by one :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤