Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Canadians Rock! And a Few Other Things :)

I know some of you are going to scratch your heads and go who...?
Alex Lifeson and  Geddy Lee
Rush
http://www.rush.com/band/
40 years strong and 40 million records sold. They were the hierarchy of  bands when I was growing up in the late 70's and early 80's, the coolest three Canadians ever, with a huge sound.



My hubby won tickets to see Rush last week. Yes, he was having a kick butt, four leaf clover, week...sky diving and free concert tickets! I was thrilled I got to stand next to Geddy Lee.


We stayed near DC Saturday night after the concert, so we could head to Front Royal Sunday morning and visit Skyline caverns. 







The rock formations were awesome. 
The gift shop completely fascinated me...
Gemstone trees

bacon necklaces

A pewter owl charm for $3.99

What's this doing here?

Cute salt and pepper shakers

and of course giant rocks! 
I spent almost as long looking at the random stuff as I did touring the caverns. Seriously, a pewter owl for $3.99, I am amazed I didn't cave and buy one, that's why I took pictures. :) 

Lunges are killing me, I think maybe I need to bag it. I had quite the episode over the weekend with my knee stiffening up, not bending, and shooting pain. Luckily I stood a lot during the concert, but it continued to get worse as the night went on.  We had to do a late night Wal-greens stop for an ice pack and ibuprofen. No running Sunday or Monday.  I do want try to integrate the Iron Strength work out into my own routine, but I think my knees are going to be a challenge with all the plyometric moves.  I kind of plan to try one thing at a time, to see if my knees can tolerate any of it.


Check out the ceilings in our hotel, Kenny almost touched them...

And the "workout" room...
This little hotel death trap didn't have A/C - it was 95 degrees Saturday, but this room was close to 100 degrees - it was unreal. My knee was already feeling sore and I was hoping jogging slowly on the treadmill would help, but it didn't, it got much worse as the night went on. 
I did one set of curls and wanted to leave lol I was so hot!
Hubby actually did several sets, we tried to survive and get our work out done in the hotel death trap, but it was a quick session. 
I stretched in the pool, I was tempted to hop in with my clothes on.
It was actually very cool outside at the concert that night. 
Our seats were under the awning :) 

Last week I tried to "tweak " a few things. I hope I can continue my good habits this week. Last week I worked on adding more veggies into meals, drank less diet soda and more water,  and I continue to kick butt getting my protein in 15 to 20 minutes after a workout with this...


Maybe not quite the quality of  the Vega I love so much, but..the convenience! (no blender cleaning). I live for convenience and the chocolate tastes great. I am trying to make better choices and make small changes. I need to get a few pounds off, but I can not deal with being too regimented. I will never be an all out meal prepper, but I did manage a little more cooking than usual, which meant whole grain pasta for lunches :) 




Last week was a fantastic way to close out May, my knee was just a little speed bump in all the fun. I will be back later this week to talk more about running, but I was able put another tally mark in my column this morning!
I have this Old Navy tank in blue (above) and purple -
got them on sale for $10 and I love them :) Super light and comfy. 
Saw these guys waddling through a cul-de-sac at 5:30 a.m. on my run

Do you know who Rush is, or did you go, "Who???" Have you ever visited Skyline or Luray Caverns? Ever tried Premier Protein?

Random thoughts on anything :) 

26 comments:

  1. I remember Rush, but it's been ages! We've visited quite a few caverns over the years. My favorites are the ones with water (like Ruby Falls and Lost Sea). And you're right, the have the most interesting gift shops! LOL. I can't believe the hotel gym had no AC! I hope your knee is better soon. I think my achy hip is coming from the stupid exercises I'm doing to strengthen them. I'm ready to quit them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing Rush felt like a step back in time lol The average age at the show was different from back in the day for sure :)
      I need to visit Ruby Falls and Lot Sea, water sounds beautiful. Skyline has a small water area and it made really pretty reflections.
      Doesn't it make you nuts, you try to what should help and it hurts more...hopefully that hip will clear up soon.

      Delete
  2. The original Canadian Power Trio! :) Sounds like a fun night.
    Sorry your knee has been flaring up. I feel a bit tweaky too if I do too many squats and lunges. I've been trying to do less each day and just do them more often until I feel stronger. All the moving is really upping my squat count! That inferno of a gym sounds like my version of hell! I hate being hot and I can't imagine trying to work out in those temps (says someone who runs in Atlanta in the summer, lol). Sounds like you all had a fun week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We wonder after 40 years together if this may be the last tour. We feel lucky to see them, eventually they won't be able to come out and play for three hours- it was good show!
      I am going to try squats and leave out the lunges and see what happens. Why is trying to be healthy so hard lol Good luck with the move :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, Geddy Lee must be so old! I used to listen to them in high school...and that was many moons ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is! and he can still rock out lol - it's pretty awesome, played for three hours.

      Delete
  4. Sorry but even if I am a rock addicted I never heard of Rush before. Now I am going to listen some song of the band. The caverns look fantastic. Sorry for your knee, I don't know if we have the similar problem but I solved the situation with 4 shots of hyaluronic acid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moving Pictures is a good place to start -
      songs, "Tom Sawyer" "Limelight"and "Vital Signs"
      Another great song is Spirit of the Radio
      and I loved the album Hemispheres - Two great songs "The Trees"
      "Circumstances"
      Check them out if you like rock, they are unique.
      I've had shots in the past, but luckily lately a few days rest and ice seem to work. I am so limited in what strength training I can do, frustrating at times.

      Delete
  5. I feel like I have heard of the band. If I hear some of their music I bet I would know who they are. Either way, any concert is fun to go to. How cool you got to visit the caverns. Such different items they have for sale. Hope you knee feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's feeling better. I can not take any more long term outs, i will go nuts. Crazy little gift shops like that are the best lol

      Delete
  6. Rush is awesome, it looks like you two had a great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember Rush... old school rock bands - the best!
    I would have totally bought the owl... but a picture is probably better because I would have lost the owl anyways :)
    I need to check out convenient protein drinks that I don't have to mix. I want one at work but just the 'shaking' doesn't work for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were a favorite from way way back in the day lol
      I have tried several shakes that had gross tastes, but the chocolate premier works for me, nothing funky and it's easy!
      I have tried my powders in a shaker and it's never as good as blender.

      Delete
  8. Hey, I know Rush!
    The gift shop is kind of like looking at a version of "Sky Mall"...a little something for everyone, or not~!?!
    Sorry about the knee. Keep icing!
    I am trying to eat healthier too--I have a chips habit I need to break!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rush is awesome :)
      ha! Sky-mall is a good comparison.
      Why are unhealthy habits so much easier?LOL

      Delete
  9. Sorry your knee was being no fun :( I can't believe you didn't get the bacon necklace! Love all the random things you can get in gift shops like that. A hatchet? too funny, until some crazy person comes along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still kicking myself for not buying the bacon necklace lol

      Delete
  10. Those caverns looks amazing! I would love to go exploring in them. I have never heard of Rush but I'm glad you had such a great time this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cavern trips are always a fun adventure when you get the chance :)

      Delete
  11. That looks like such a fun time! I can't believe there are people who haven't heard of Rush. Although maybe I only know them because my brother-in-law loves them a lot, too. The caverns are awesome as is the gift shop! What a fun little trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love quirky gift shops lol I grew up with Rush, but it is funny so many people I worked with had no idea!

      Delete
  12. So fun you got to go to their concert :D I have no idea who they are (being from Norway and born in 92, that's my excuse haha), but I know how amazing it feels to finally see/listen to one of your favorite bands/artists live :3 last summer I went to a Dolly Parton concert and I was pretty much happy for the rest of the summer because of that hahah xD (yes, i'm obsessed with Dolly, don't laugh now).
    The caverns look so cool! I love places like that:D lucky! Also, I don't understand how you didn't buy anything from the gift shop :O I would so have bought the bacon necklace just as a fun gift for my boyfriend :'D can't get over how random that bacon necklace is xD Looks like you had a great time :D so weird that the hotel didn't have AC :/
    I'm so sorry to hear that your knee is in so much pain :( I hope it's better now!
    YAY FOR THE MEAL PREP! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dolly is awesome :)
      Yes, just baby steps on the meal prep, but heyyy better than not all!!

      Delete
  13. Oh my gosh, I can't imagine someone not knowing who Rush is! How awesome you scored those tix! Have you seen I Love You, Man? One of the characters is obsessed with Rush in that. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the show, I need to check it out lol The Colbert Interview was one of my fav Rush obsessed shows :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤