Sunday, July 5, 2015

Another Week in the Books







Often my weeks will pass in a blur, but last Monday feels a million miles away right now. 
Last week my plan of action was pretty simple, just work whatever hurts the least.  (•◡•)   The past few weeks it seems like as soon as one ache stops, another starts.
It forces me to keep variety in my work outs, and hopefully from ending up injured again.

Monday a.m.7 mile run - 15 min. walk
Monday p.m.indoor cycle 7.75 miles
25 min. triceps, shoulders
Tuesday p.m.elliptical 30 min.
34 min. chest, back
Wednesday a.m.hilly 5K run - 15 min. walk, stretch
ThursdayRest!
Friday a.m.10K run - 4 mile walk
Friday p.m.indoor cycle 5 miles
80 min. upper body weight training
Saturdayafternoon biking 17 hilly miles
Sunday3 mile treadmill run
75 min. core work, leg work

My ten hour work days, mean getting to the gym late. It's so flipping crowded at that time...boooo! At the end of a work day, a crowded gym just drains me:( ...sigh...It's okay though, it won't last forever, in September I go back to my normal schedule, so I can suck it up.


Monday was the longest run I've accomplished since April. It was cooler than usual Monday morning, so I tried to seize the moment and do it, but I admit if felt tough.
I love it when my watch tells me I started at 4:56 a.m. I was in a sleepy haze until mile two. The snooze button has won too many mornings lately, making me go on shorter runs, so Monday was a win :)

Wednesday, right back to not wanting to get out of bed.  When I finally got rolling, I went with a hilly route and pushed...I was exhausted. It was a way to appease my guilt over the snooze button... 

That 10 hour work day that is messing up my gym time, also created a blessing...
10K Friday! I look forward to seeing my run buddy on Friday mornings, and talking distracts us from the super humid, sticky conditions. We usually end up talking and walking a few extra miles after we run. One of these Fridays we are going to run a little farther...just waiting for a kinder day. 



The 4th of July my legs were feeling extremely fatigued from 10K Friday. Hubby and I decided to bike in the park. I wore my compression socks and stretched when I was done, and my legs actually felt a lot better.   Active recovery?

We were both were drenched, it was getting more humid as we rode. A downpour started as soon as we put our bikes back on the car rack. I was so happy we got a good ride in. 


Sunday I tried the treadmill out again, and it didn't hurt :) Progress!

...and I have two little nifty tools that enhanced my work outs last week, I will share with you in my next post. 

I had hoped to accomplish some of kind of cleaning while I had off a few extra days, but it didn't happen. It seems my energy stores these days are limited, if I do well with my work outs, I don't seem to get much past the bare necessities around the house: dishes, cat litter, and vacuuming...

Does anyone still have winter clothes in their closet they need to put away? 
Did you enjoy a long weekend? See fireworks? 
Did you stay home or go away for the fourth?
Have you experienced feeling fatigued when you start a workout, but in the end, you feel a lot better? 

31 comments:

  1. So glad your Monday was so great! :D I'm happy for you! ^^
    And I have to say, I'm so happy you have a run bud! :D

    Haha yesss, winter clothes everywhere! But I'm too lazy to do anything about it. I don't have enough room for all my clothes anymore, ugh. After my vacation I'll go through everything and give away everything I don't wear to some charity I guess.
    I had a good weekend :) I don't live in the US so I don't celebrate the 4th of July, but I went for a walk with my dad and we got lost xD Yesterday we went to visit family. Not sure what's with out luck lately but a little rock broke our tire, and I was carsick the whole way there and back. It was still really nice to see them again :)
    I often feel fatigued when I start a run, but I almost always feel better a few km's in :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked your post about your adventure in the woods! Its is a good thing you have a run bud in the woods :) I need to do that too, I need to clean my clothes situation up, but I seem to lack ability to get it all the way organized.
      Almost US time now :) I am excited for you!

      Delete
  2. We stayed home mostly for the fourth, we did go to my grandmas for a picnic and one of my kids went to a cousins house for the afternoon and early evening to play, the other slept the for three hours.
    I put my winter clothes under the bed usually, it seems like it is such a short time to put them away for. I hate when I start out a run fatigued, but I do love when in the end I feel so much better. Early morning runs are the best :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your awesome IG pictures!!
      True your hot season is so short, I wouldn't put them away.
      Early morning is the best :)

      Delete
  3. I think EVERY time I work out I start out fatigued :) I live for that moment where energy finally kicks in
    4:56am... goodness lady - you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need to do that again this week! Monday and Tuesday that early wake up call didn't happen :(
      We need those endorphins to flow!

      Delete
  4. I don't put my winter clothes away. The kids are grown and I have taken up all their closets and dressers.

    We went on our boat - no running but did see fireworks.

    I always feel better after I run than before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! Even if I have a crappy run I still better after I do it. I had a super crappy run yesterday...and I was still glad I did it :)
      I need to find some new closet space in my house, it would bring peace to my life lol

      Delete
  5. I don't swap out my seasonal clothes. They are all just crammed in there together. Do you believe I never set an alarm? I'm usually up around 5. On the rare occasion I sleep in, I figure I need that more than a run anyway. I think you are very smart to have variety in your routine. 11 weeks until Fall begins. I think I should put a ticker on my blog!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do need a Fall ticker!! I get excited thinking about it lol
      I would be asleep at 9 a.m. if I didn't set a clock?! How do you do that? When I don't set a clock I really sleep deep.
      My stuff is all crammed together in a very small space...it makes me crazy. I do better if I put some away, but it's so late now it may stay out.

      Delete
  6. Great job Karen! That is a massive amount of working out time. I am impressed by how much time per week you are strength training. I'm a big fan of active recovery too! I usually walk the monster and do living room yoga on rest days. If I've been at my desk a lot (i.e. sitting for long periods), I usually feel really slow and sluggish at the start of my workout. Keep up the awesome work! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard getting started sometimes! I feel you on the sitting, that's me too and it can get to you. I am close to hitting some weight goals so I've been pushing a bit. I may need to try active recovery more :)

      Delete
  7. I still have to put away winter clothes...ugh. Someday!
    I am dragging this afternoon after running this am and doing errands. We were home for the 4th, it was low key and great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Low key sounds great :) I may just leave my darn winter clothes out now LOL

      Delete
  8. I always feel tired during my morning workouts, but once I am into it I definitely wake up and feel a little better. You got some AWESOME training in this week, Karen! Oh, when I first read the title of your post, I thought it said "Another Week in Books", and I was thinking, Ooooh what's Karen reading!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing good on the reading front LOL I just sleeep.
      Thanks! I have been pushing, I feel a slacker week coming soon lol

      Delete
    2. I am close to some goals, but i need to stop aching!

      Delete
  9. We stayed home for the 4th. Had a remembrance run then bbq, great day.

    Yeah I've had plenty of runs that loosened my legs up and I felt better after. Active recovery is awesome lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you enjoyed family and feeling good runs!!

      Delete
  10. Great job on your workouts. I always feel those first couple steps out of the house are the hardest. It was a nice holiday weekend visiting w friend and family.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great week! I always put my energy to running and cycling before mopping and vacuuming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I like the priorities, sounds just right to me :)

      Delete
  12. You have such a variety of workouts in your week! I love it! I hope all of those aches go away soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get that fatigued feeling early in my runs pretty often. Luckily, it usually passes and I feel energized as I warm up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was that way when it was cooler! I would start feeling energized after a mile or two, but lately I fight a lot of sluggishness the whole run :/

      Delete
  14. I usually feel better after an easy workout if Im feeling sore. And I definitely love a long weekend! I was home for most of this one (and at my parents', but their only 30 minutes away) so tat was nice! Great job with all your workouts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I need to some more easy work outs when I am feeling sore, a nice surprise to feel more energized when it was over ;) Why can't all weekends be long!

      Delete
  15. 10 hour work days, ouch! Those definitely make it tough. Good for your for fitting your workouts in regardless!!

    As for the winter clothes...I never put mine away. I just smash everything in my closet and never flip them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am about at that point now lol I think everything is staying in the closet!
      I am not a fan of the 10 hour day, but I do look forward to actually having a day when i can run with someone :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤