Monday, July 27, 2015

Be Good To Your Body

I have been slacking a little lately. Being at work later, doing my weight work outs later, and lack of time when I get home, has led to some skimping. It's time to stop making excuses. I need to be good to my body.

I am not getting the maximum benefit from running in the morning and lifting at night, if I don't refuel properly. I am pretty consistent about having a small protein rich meal, or protein shake after I run because I am home, but my good habits tend to fall apart more at work, because I haven't been as prepared as I should be.

It's right about the same time, I just get a hankering about 10ish a.m. or 3ish p.m. One of the most important things to me is to have a snack that adds value to my health.

I try to avoid junk, empty calories, and I want to feeel good after I eat.


Last week I was unprepared for snack time and I had a rice krispie treat out of the vending machine. Now, don't get me wrong I love them, but I never want that to become a habit, so I decided I would stock up on snacks for work next week.

While doing a quick stop and shop, I realized I have not had a pumpkin seed in almost a month. That is a crime! Pumpkin seeds are one the best things in the world to have on hand to refuel from a tough work. Potassium, protein, and magnesium just to name a few reasons. 


I also picked up two of my other favorites, sunflower seeds and pistachios. 

Ate yummy pistachios Saturday after my a.m. recovery run

The great thing about pumpkin, pistachios, and sunflower seeds, is that a very small handful is satisfying while providing benefits to your health. We all need the fat, minerals, and amino acids so our bodies can utilize the protein we consume to rebuild our muscles and I always feel good after I eat them. 

I love fruit and veggies as well, but some of it is more convenient than others.

I recently picked up this nifty little cutting board.

So much easier now to cut melon, and catch the drip, but for work, nuts and seeds are the ultimate in convenienceBaby carrots and cucumbers are also easy options, but alone they aren't best for refueling. I need my pumpkin seeds. 

I feel better already knowing I have a plan, so I can be good to my body this week. 

Tell me about your favorite power snack ❤  
nuts?
seeds?
veggies?
fruit?
Do you have a certain time of day you feel like you need something?
Is it important to you a snack provide protein?


You can read some great info about healthy-snacks here...and no, I wasn't provided any compensation to plug Nuts.com
Just throwing a convenient option out there (•◡•)

26 comments:

  1. I don't usually snack on pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds - I tend to put them in baked goods. So easy to go overboard.

    I'm on a big hummus & veggies kick right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yummmm, I love hummus.
      I agree you can add seeds to anything you bake and it tastes yumm :)

      Delete
  2. The Caveman is a pistachio fiend! Since we've been back from vacay I've really been focusing on cleaning up my diet. Mid-afternoon is where snacking gets the best of me. I've been making a plate filled with cucumber slices, celery with almond butter, mixed berries and a few nuts. So far so good! Love that cutting board!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am quite the pistachio fiend my self lol
      The cutting board has encouraged melon cutting, I needed easy clean up!
      Sounds like a yummy afternoon plate idea :)

      Delete
  3. My favorite go to snack is almonds. I have a big jar of them at work, and when I'm flagging in the afternoon, I grab a handful. Amazing how they curb my hunger and give me a boost.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almonds are one of the best choices according to everything I read :) Nuts do give you a good boost.

      Delete
  4. I love nuts and peanut butter as snacks. I do eat PB right off the spoon even (usually I cheat and add choc chips). If I have a sugary snack, it makes me crave more & more sugar the whole rest of the day, so I try not to do that until my afternoon snack at the earliest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sugar does that to me as well, I just want more! It does help if I eat something with it that is protein, like nuts :) I could eat peanut butter all day, I actually crave it sometimes, but it one of these foods that can mess with my digestive system if I go have too much. Not fair lol!

      Delete
  5. I'm finding I need protein in a snack. I've actually been loving drinking my Shakeology when I get home before a workout. It gives me energy for the rest of the evening until dinner.

    I do love some nuts though too. Dangerous for me though - I could eat a whole container without thinking twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can do that with cashews, when I start, it's hard to stop. I am okay with the other ones I mentioned though. Weird, huh!?
      Shakeology is great stuff! I have used it in the past and loved it :)

      Delete
  6. I am huge fan of nuts too but I wish they weren't so darn expensive! I love eating fresh fruits and veggies in the summer. So accessible during this time of yr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, certain times of the year it's great to pick snack things that are in season :) Nuts and seeds stay fairly expensive year round.

      Delete
  7. I have been making a smoothie in the afternoon, and splitting it with the kids. I can't have nuts around due to an allergy in the house. I didn't know of the benefits of pumpkin seeds--I can have those around!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pumpkin seeds would be great if you have nut allergies.
      I love smoothies, but I am very lazy about cleaning the blender! If I ever get to retire, I will make a smoothie everyday lol Right now what's easy wins.

      Delete
  8. I try to keep healthy snacks around too! I am ALWAYS hungry at work. And if I don't bring anything, the only option is the vending machine... and that never ends well. My favorite at work snacks is an apple if I am feeling "munchy", and one of those nature valley peanut butter oat bars (but the generic kind). The peanut butter gives me the FAT I need to be satisfied. They are pretty carby and caloric but I have made my peace with the fact that I need these carbs/fat/calories so I can keep teaching for another 3 hours!

    Those pumpkin seeds are interesting looking. I have only ever seen the white kind. My mom used to roast them with salt. Mmmmm salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelled pumpkin seeds are amazing! I like the kind I have because I throw them on salad, in pasta, or mix with dark chocolate, and I do that with sunflower seeds as well.
      I need fat too! It's good for us. I don't mind carbs either to be truthful, it's just a matter of balance, since I have to keep my calorie intake low because of my thyroid, I try to avoid sugar all by itself, because it just makes me hungrier. I do have dessert though at least once a week lol if not twice :)

      Delete
  9. My favorite nuts are cashews, walnuts and pecans. I'm not sure how healthy they are though. Probably not very. My morning snack is always a Zone Bar and my afternoon snack is Greek Yogurt. I roasted pumpkin seeds once. Notice I said once...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You weren't a fan of pumpkin seeds huh?! cashews, walnuts, and pecans all have good things in them for us, we just need a few though lol Some days I want too many!
      I haven't had Greek yogurt in a long time, dairy is touchy with me but I need to try again.The probioctic I take helps me a great deal :)

      Delete
  10. I always get hungry for a snack around 10:30am and 3-3:30pm, although sometimes I wonder if I'm really hungry at those times or my body is just used to having a snack at those times! I usually have a protein bar for my morning snack and yogurt or something really light in the afternoon since I don't want anything sticking to my tummy before I run in the evening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder that too Kristina! I don't want a snack every single day, but when I do get the munchies it's crazy! I try to wait for the real hunger signal but sometimes I just eat my snack lol
      I agree eating too much will kill a run.

      Delete
  11. Oh man...love pumpkin seeds and pistachios. I can put a bag away no problem. I have PB&J mid morning and clif bars in the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great refueling snacks!
      Keep the nuts around for marathon training :) Your body will love it lol

      Delete
  12. I always have a lararbar with me as my go-to snack. I also like to bake healthy treats, but fruit and nuts are great options as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. larabars are yummy :)
      I always want to make things like peanut butter balls, but I am lazy lol

      Delete
  13. I've been eating a lot of trail mix lately. Packs a lot of nutrients and easy to keep around the office. It's all about arming myself with good options. If I have to option to eat junk, I totally will.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm totally obsessed with pistachios right now!! It's hard to stick to the serving size though!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤