Monday, July 13, 2015

Humbled

The theme of  last week - humbled.  Running was a struggle last week. 

Monday a.m.Humble 4 broken up miles running  -  walked 4 miles
Tuesday a.m.REST!
Wednesday a.m.4.5 mile run
Wednesday p.m.Cycled 8.5 miles and stretched
Thursday2 miles treadmill - 20 minutes stretching /leg lifts
Friday a.m.Another humbler 6 mile run - walked 4 miles
Friday p.m.1 mile treadmill - 80 minutes upper body weight training
SaturdayRest!
Sunday a.m.4.5 mile run
Sunday p.m.cycled 5 miles - 80 minutes of leg, core work,  and light upper body weight training


I went out to run and made it two miles before I needed a walk break. I walked a mile and tried to regroup. Ran another mile and started walking again, I did eventually run one more mile, but it was a rough morning. Humbled?! yes completely...
I gave Monday a thumbs down


         Rest! 


 That feels really warm in the morning with 98% humidity

I walked a few brief moments during mile two and mile three, but it went better than Monday. 


My new running shoes came - Brooks Glycerin 12 


Yep, another humbler. Almost 80 degrees when we started running at 6:35 a.m. Ran 3 miles and had to take a 5 minute walk break, ran 3 more miles, technically we blew 10K Friday, but we didn't care it was so hot. Humbled, bordering discouraged...



We went on a river cruise to a winery. My running was enough to drive me to drink lol  
It was pouring rain when we started out journey...

We saw Eagles perched in the tree tops
Luckily it stopped raining by the time we got to the winery


It was a little prettier on the boat ride back. 

We saw this cool ancient telephone booth and french fry statue riding home from the winery. 





Sunday morning I felt worn out. We had a little wine on our tour and a few cocktails Saturday night...
My legs felt heavy right along with the haze. It's hard to describe how heavy I felt the entire time I was moving. 


I took these while I was warming up to run. I came home with a mean case of chafe, boy did my shower burn. 

This was my strategy Sunday. I just wanted it to end. I had time to run longer, but I couldn't. Humbled? Very...

I think this may be the extent of my partying this week. 

I did some squats at the gym on Sunday and my right knee is hurting right this morning. My shoulders needed some rest last week, and I timed it so I could rest several days, so at least they feel better.  It seems something is always aching though! 

If I had to describe my running in one word for last week it would be humbled, what would your word be?

Does wine zap your energy? 

Anyone ever run in Brooks Glycerin's? They are feeling pretty cushy :) 

31 comments:

  1. I was right there with you Sunday. Humbled, to say the very least. I had done well with my runs earlier in the week though. I skied too much Saturday and had a few margaritas afterward and overslept a little. That all set me up for an extremely humbling run in 80 degrees and 90+ humidity. UGH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, forgot to say HOW COOL is a boat ride to a winery? That would be right up my alley!

      Delete
    2. The boat ride was awesome, we didn't let the rain spoil our fun even though my hair looked pretty rough lol The tasting was awesome! Several great things I would never buy without a tasting :)
      80 is too hot, that's how it was for our Friday run. It seems that 72 degrees is my tipping point, anything over that I am probable going to struggle unless the humidity is freakishly low.

      Delete
  2. We always are in shock when we see a phone booth :) #vintage
    Isn't it crazy how high humidity is so early - not right Mother Nature - not right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The phone booth was so cool :)
      The mornings are always about 100% here. It burns off (if its going to) between 8 and 9 and I am two hours into my work day by then.

      Delete
  3. The high temps and high humidity are enough to kill your plans. It's tough to run through that. Just keep pushing and you Will be rewarded when nice weather comes on in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am holding out for my Fall reward...or I may just become a MALL WALKER lol I have thought about it ;)

      Delete
  4. A boat to a winery - way cool. My runs are humbling - I walk a lot but we both know it is better than not running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boat ride was a few hours, so very nice on the way home after the rain stopped :)
      I keep telling myself that anything is better for me than not running. It's getting harder to convince myself lol

      Delete
  5. My friend always runs in the Glycerins and loves them. I didn't realize phone booths were still a thing! Cool! And, 98% humidity, ugh! Can you just open your mouth and take a drink from the air when it's like that? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was odd to see a phone booth.
      That morning humidity has been my kryptonite LOL

      Delete
  6. Wow, a French fry statue is something you don't see every day..lol. Those are some great looking shoes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very old!
      Thanks, I really wanted the purple shoes, but they were out. This color combo is growing on me :)

      Delete
  7. I would say the heat and humidity have done a number on my psyche this week too. I felt like I had to cut through the air yesterday!
    The last time I saw a phone booth, I pulled over to show the kids!
    My phone is being repaired today, and it feels "freeing"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived most of my life stretching a cord talking on the phone lol It seemed odd to me when everyone started carrying cells.
      I loved to answer a ringing pay phone as a kid! They'll never know that joy lol

      Delete
  8. Great shoes!

    The heat and humidity are really sucking the life out of me as well. Sometimes I feel like I am going to vomit when I'm running lately because I'm so hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that feeling. I envy you though, you keep going! I seem to be losing it, I just can not keep myself going not even for three miles.

      Delete
  9. I love the phone booth! There's one on Washington Island in Door County Wisconsin with a clown inside. Super creepy but funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny! A clown, huh!? Sometimes I forget how much stuff has changed until I see something like that lol

      Delete
  10. This time of year the weather zaps the energy from all of us. I've been running on the treadmill more often because I'm in a good groove and I know as soon as I do a long run outdoors it's going to be .... "humbling" (aka awful).The longer I put it off the worse it will be though. Kudos to you for getting out there and getting it done instead of avoiding it like me! My hero!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, I envy you getting on the treadmill! I have been trying to add the TM back in, but last time just a few miles caused aching later, it just makes me so nervous. I had a few good runs on it, but I am afraid to try miles on it. Most of the time I haven't been hurting outside, although this morning I was really tight and seriously started to seriously consider becoming a mall walker lol

      Delete
  11. This summer of running has been very rough for me too. The heat and humidity is killing me! I don't remember it being this bad last year. And yes I know I will immediately be falling asleep after I drink wine haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am not the only who gets super sleepy lol I need like 12 hours a sleep now to recover...that's just madness lol
      When I look back at my logs the super high temperatures started a little earlier this year. Hang in there!

      Delete
  12. I know it will be a humbling experience when I start running again - between not running for 6 weeks and not being out in the humidity for 6 weeks, my body will be in shock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a long break. I hope that foot heals up soon! Maybe it will be slightly cooler when you are ready to run again.

      Delete
  13. I ran last weekend's marathon in Brooks Ravenna shoes - comfy and no bad aftermath!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, love Brooks :) Coming to check out your recap soon :)

      Delete
  14. Ugh I am sorry your knee was bothering you. I would describe my running workouts as humbling as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am determined to try again. It did hurt, but ice kept it from getting super stuff so maybe I can do it...we'll see :)

      Delete
  15. It can be so humbling to run in the heat and humidity! My regular pace feels so much harder and I get out of breathe so easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a different animal and I am not kidding when I say, sometimes slowing down is harder because you just know you have to deal with it longer lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤