Monday, July 20, 2015

Theme of the Week ~ Down Time

This morning my alarm went off and my outdoor temp read 76, I rolled over and went back to snooze land. My legs are sore anyway, I did a little leg work at the gym. Excuses, excuses...


Sunday I was entertained at the gym by dancing/boxing guy and count out loud guy.  Sometimes I am awed by how confident some folks are. As long as I have been at my gym, I still have a hard time when I am trying something new, or lifting a heavy weight I know I can hardly get up. I feel self conscious...dancing gym guy just pranced all over the gym (about 25 minutes worth) doing his thang...I need a little dose of that. 
I confess I posted it on IG, maybe I shouldn't have, but it was entertaining. 

Count out loud guy was really messing with me. Sometimes he would count down, sometimes count up, but he always waited till I started my set and would mess me up. I have no idea how many reps I did yesterday...


I need the number of a good exterminator - and yes, my hair is a few shades darker than it was on Friday

Last week I wrote two posts that are still sitting in my drafts. Do you ever do this? I have more drafts than posts lately. 

I have been in need of more rest days, my body was yelling for them. Pinchingpulsingtightness...arghhhh



So, I rested a lot last week


Monday Rest!
Tuesday a.m.5K run 32:39 ~ 1 mile walk
Wednesday a.m.4.5 mile run/ stretching
Wednesday p.m.Arc machine 30 min. ~ 75 min. upper strength training
ThursdayRest!
Friday a.m.10K run 64 min. ~ 1.5 mile walk with run buddy
SaturdayRest!
Sunday a.m.4 mile run 41 min.~ 1.5 mile walk
Sunday p.m.cycled 6.35 miles - 90 minutes whole body strength training 

Sunday things started to improve.  I stretched for a long time Sunday morning after I ran,  and it made me feel much better, but my flexibility is becoming more limited. At the gym in the afternoon, I was able to lift upper body fairly heavy, felt no Tibia pinches or real shoulder disruptions, just those darn tight hamstrings. I stretched my legs again after I cycled, but that little squeeze of tightness is still making itself known. I did a little ice last night too. 

I am not sure what to try next for my hamstrings. Massage or back to PT? Thoughts, what would you do? 

I really have not given my atrophied muscles in my left leg much TLC. I just expected my legs to get back to work. I was running so strong in the Spring, I just assumed they were okay. Maybe not...


I also spent time making cat-shaming pictures for IG because I was avoid cleaning

Last week my Endocrinologist gave me the good news my bones looked healthy. I was ecstatic to hear it, but I have been feeling so challenged I still haven't signed up for my Fall races. My boldness about distance is really flipping into doubt. I could really use a run longer than a 10K, to give me a little boost. 


10K Friday with run buddy 

Do you have faith in massages to break up tightness? Have good results with massage? 
Any experience or wisdom to share about atrophied muscles? 

How's the heatwave treating you? My A/C never turns off - dread. the. bill. 

32 comments:

  1. I do believe in massages--I think the foam roller works too. My hamstrings flare up with too much hill work too soon. Usually a couple days of super easy shake out runs does the trick.
    It is hot here too...not liking it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Massages are real $ but I think I am going to try.
      I neeed to use the foam roller more, just once in awhile at the gym. I keep trying to ease up when I have that tightness and I only do short runs, but I have been battling it since I came out of the boot really.

      Delete
  2. I am happy you got good test results!!! I know what you mean about needing a longer run to boost confidence. I am in the same boat. When I can run 10 miles and feel good again I will feel like i have ARRIVED!

    I am totally going to copy you and make some cat shaming pictures. I hope you don't mind. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please join the pert shaming fun lol I saw it Kimmel of Fallon, one of the late night shows and my hubby and i loved looking through all the hash tag pet shaming pictures!
      Once upon a time I could run a 15K and feel great when I was done. I know exactly what you mean.
      It's one of those things, I am happy about good test results, and puzzled why my hurts increased ;/

      Delete
    2. * pet shaming on Kimmel or Fallon lol

      Delete
  3. Sometimes rest can be the best medicine. I do always feel better after a massage I wish I could get them more often. The Temps haven't been affecting me too much. But I like the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I have been resting more than working but I guess it's necessary!
      I need my A/C , I guess you could make it without it :)

      Delete
  4. Good for you for sleeping in - your body needs those breaks.
    I SO believe in massages... I have a friend who is a massage therapist... she will tell you all about it. It makes a WORLD of difference to work out those muscles!
    I wish I had the confidence of others sometimes too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! A friend at the gym is big believer in massage as well. I think it may be worth a try. I have never had a massage outside of PT, I am just nervous I guess.
      I need the confidence or just enough crazy that I don't care anymore lol

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the good news about your bones! I'm so happy for you.

    I get nervous when going for a new lifting PR as well. I used to be pretty fearless but one time I struggled to get a new PR on benchpress and this big beefy guy next to me said, "I think you need to try lower weights." That was embarrassing and enraging! I was so angry I knocked it out on my next try haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! Love it, a little anger and redemption will motivate you.
      I hate trying new things, the first time I tried plank rows, I know I looked crazy! lol
      These old bones better hold up, I don;t have time for being in a boot again. Funny how chicken I feel about distance though.

      Delete
  6. I use my foam roller a lot, and so I think massages would be effective too. I just don't like the idea of someone that I don't know touching me. I'm kind of weird like that.. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same issue, that's why I have never had a massage before except in PT. I am kind of nervous to try.

      Delete
  7. Ha! My hair is a few shades darker today too. Treat foam rolling like a religion. It works for me. We all need down time. Don't beat yourself up over that. If I read your chart correctly, you ran/walked over 20 miles. (I don't call that resting. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny how that happens, right?! Boom, I wake up darker thanks to my stylist hubby:)
      I guess I need to try rolling more!
      I guess because I am not really ever getting a long run in, I feel a bit lame, but I guess it wasn't a terrible week - thanks for snapping me out that lol

      Delete
  8. I do like massage, but it's not a one & done thing.

    I also like yoga to help stretch things out.

    I don't need to make cat photos to ignore cleaning. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been stretching quite a bit! I wondered that about the massage, if it would feel better but I would need another soon after.
      Cleaning, just not motivated lately...

      Delete
  9. Yes to good massages, but my hamstrings are so tight! I did an easy yoga program this morning but still found forward folds to be ridiculously hard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamstrings are tough because if I tug too far its a scary feeling! Mine are so much tighter now, I am not sure what changed after my boot time.

      Delete
  10. I love a good massage, but I rely on my foam roller most of the time since massages are so expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to try to roll more. Massages are expensive so I have been apprehensive to schedule one.

      Delete
  11. Sometimes rest is just completely necessary. I definitely have those weeks where I sleep in more than normal and cut my mileage short, I know being more tired than usual is my body's way of telling me to chill out for a bit. It will be good for us in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest is a good thing! Usually I feel much better and it makes me more energetic when I do get going, lately not quite as much, but I think that has something do with non stop 100 degrees lol

      Delete
  12. Your hair looks great! Love the color :)
    I use my foam roller a lot on my hamstrings when they are tight.. like now. I think massages would also be very effective but I am too cheap for that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy :)
      I am going to try rolling some more! Massage is expensive so I have been apprehensive, but I am willing if it would get me over this hump lol

      Delete
  13. I have more drafts than posts lately too! I am way behind!

    I love watching the characters at my gym too. We have a lot of people that seem to wonder in to the gym (it's a work), so we get some really bizarre moments (lady on the bike in a sweater set, guy drinking a diet coke while he lifts weights). It never ceases to amaze me!

    Yay for strong bones! And I am right there with you on the electric bill. I don't even want to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I get distracted from my work out at the gym. Folks are so much fun to watch, your characters sound like mine lol
      Thanks :) Now if my muscles would get stronger I would be in good shape!

      Delete
  14. I love massages. My lady is so good at breaking up the sore spots (but it really hurts). As for posts, I often write posts and then realize they're totally stupid or I don't have the energy to finish them and they sit in my drafts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that exact same thing lol I read what I wrote and I am like nah!!
      I have a gym buddy who has had a lot of sore spots broke up and I feel like that's what I need. I am glad to hear the massages work for you.

      Delete
  15. LOL! Well, I hope you posted that guy to insta saying NICE things? :) Hee hee. I am like that - a little too confident. Like the other day I was changing in to my bathing suit in an open area in the women's locker room and later I realized there were changing rooms! I just don't care. I love my body however it ever is, and like acting silly :)

    Massages have worked great for me :) I hope you like it if you get one!

    And I am happy to hear your bones are healthy and that you took so many rest days! Don't be hard on yourself re: distance. You are building up from a bit of time off and serious injuries. Respect your body, it's letting you do so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL The more I look at that IG situation I think that's not nice, and I may delete it soon. I do things not malicious, but I am afraid someone may take it that way.
      Rock that confidence! I really do need dose and that is no joke!
      Thanks, my old bones are okay, I need my muscles to catch up, right?!
      I am working on the massage situation now :)

      Delete
  16. My massage therapist works wonders on me. I couldn't live without him or my chiropractor. My chiropractor does a lot of soft tissue work as well. they truly keep me running!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤