Thursday, August 20, 2015

Running Interruptions

Usually my runs are pretty uneventful, but this morning it seemed like action non-stop.

It was humid and hazy this morning, but the lack of sun seems to do me well. 73 degrees and 94% humidity, but without the sun beating down on me, it feels like my recovery was almost instant.


Lovely, not...but good for me, yes :) 

Twenty five minutes into my run a lady pulled up and flagged me down. At this point, my running rhythm wasn't feeling exactly smooth, so I didn't want to stop. She had stopped a few feet ahead of me and was getting out, so I decided I would not be totally rude.
The urgency?!
"Do you know where to park at the school, and what door to go in?"

Me, internally- AHHHHHHHHHHH! I thought I was being punked. I do work at a school and register students, but there's no way she knew.
I explained where to go, and took off before she could keep talking.

She was yelling as I took off, sorry I interrupted your run. Reallly!? I thought it was odd. Oh, and we were like a block from school, I guess she was nervous about going in. I checked my laps, the whole conversation was less than a minute actually, so I guess being nice is more important.

As I got to the end of the path, a bunch of geese were blocking the way. 
As I approached, I expected them to take off, instead they turned and started to honk at me. I got nervous, I slowed up and honked back, I thought maybe I was going to get pecked to death...luckily they waddled on, so I could get by, but it was odd.
This path runs past the school and leads to the next neighborhood I run in 

Most of my run route is in a neighborhood. I could see a guy about five or six houses down getting in his truck in the driveway. He had the truck on and running, but just sat there, so I kept on my path. He had glanced at me several times, so I assumed he was waiting till I passed. I get steps from his driveway and he throws it into reverse...sigh...seriously...big sigh....he inched out of the driveway, literally inched.  I looked at my laps later, I stoood there 30 seconds. Arghh, I hate stopping.

My route home takes me by the school again, a crew was there cutting grass. I scared a guy weed whacking. I guess he didn't realize I was there, and he about jumped out of his skin. He jumped so much he made me jump...good grief.

I drank a liter of water with Nuun during my run today.  I always have a few rough moments when it is hot, but overall, I felt pretty good.

I ran, visited the PT,  ate lunch, and went to the gym for some stretching, core stuff, and chest work. I feel like me again. 

Normally, I would have nothing to report from a run other than seeing an occasional deer or fox, but this morning was strange, it felt busy.

Hope you have a happy Friday ❤  


Have you ever had anyone flag you down and make you stop running for silly questions?
Encountered wildlife that refused to move?
Do you enjoy overcast days?

22 comments:

  1. I love the way you tell stories, Karen!

    That lady would have PISSED ME OFF for saying, "Sorry to interrupt your run," See people just DON'T understand. If I am just out for a leisurely run I will gladly answer questions. But if I was doing a tempo run or speed work I would NOT. I would have blown right past that lady!

    I am so glad you had a great run and feel good about what you accomplished today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you Megan :)
      Even before I ran, I knew not to mess with people running lol When I use to walk alot people constantly stopped me, the "rules" are different lol
      I am relieved to be feeling better! thank you

      Delete
  2. I get stopped by the police in our town about 1x per month (actually they pull up and talk while moving...) if I have seen any wandering horses...Yep, our town has a lot of horse stables and when they jump the fences everyone goes looking...I guess they figure I am out and about. One time I did see the horses, and I stopped in the farm to tell them...I think it is funny...Gotta love life in a small town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny :) AT least the police drive along beside you lol
      I have never had a horse alert around here, it is very different!

      Delete
  3. Saw some wild turkey today but they ran away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmmm...I don't think I have ever seen a wild turkey.

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you felt better today! Yes that does sound like a busy run. Once I had a guy pull over in the far (oncoming) lane of a 4 lane road and try to call me over, while he flicked ashes from his cigarette. As if I'm going to cross 4 lanes of traffic to see what he wanted. I mean seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ummm....no! Not crossing traffic bud lol
      Thank you, I am relieved to feel back on track.

      Delete
  5. Funny story, Karen. Great run, too. I was riding my bike one summer and as I approached a lady walking she asked if I had a cigarette. Ummm, no, sorry. LOL. I often see fox, deer and elk in the pre dawn hours that I run. We both look at each other very cautiously. It always just amazes me to see them...pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, that's a desperate smoker! man, the power of addiction, will make you that way I guess.
      It would be very cool to see elk. I would be cautious too. I saw a huge pack of deer one evening very late and they all stop and check you out before they take of, but I am always too slow to catch a picture, they take off fast.

      Delete
  6. that is a lot of interruptions and what was up with the guy in the truck, like he really couldn't wait for you to go by? I get occasional interruptions like family or neighbors that stop to talk, although most just wave. Sometimes I have to stop to take pictures of things or pull thorns out of my dog's foot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Cola...thorns, hurt :(
      I am glad my run this a.m. was completely quiet lol The guy in the driveway was creepy, he had a ton of time to back out before I got there, and I guess he was expecting me to stop?? usually I veer across the street but cars were passing, so I just kept going, but it was odd - it was like he waited to irritate me. Crazy people lol

      Delete
  7. That is a lot of interruptions for just one run! I have been lucky I guess in that not too many people have stopped to ask me directions. Maybe only a couple of times that I remember. I too love it when the sun isn't showing. That's why I usually run so late...I run SO much better w/out the sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was highly unusual lol It was quiet this morning :)
      I love overcast, I do feel completely different with out the strong sun. I may shift back to evening runs soon, it's always hard at first!

      Delete
  8. Yes, I've had a policeman in his patrol car come up to me and roll down his window. I'm thinking "Oh, crap - am I going to get busted for running in the middle of the road or in the wrong direction?" No. He just wanted me to know they were upping their presence in our neighborhood and had I seen anything suspicious recently. I wanted to say "Yeah, you coming up to me and rolling down your window." LOL. I'm so glad you feel like you. And, sista, that's a great pace for August Swampfest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I am very stuck at that pace lately, not sure how long it will take me (if ever) to pick it up a little.
      Luckily the police in my neighborhood just wave :)

      Delete
  9. I am happy to read you feel more like you!

    That is scary with the buy backing up after seeing you and as you get close. :(

    LOL @ the lady stopping to ask you where to go. I don't like it when cars approach me and ask me questions when I am running. It just seems dangerous, you know? Even though it's probably totally innocent, like this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I am still scratching my head over driveway guy. I don't know why he waited and waited...
      sometimes I get stop sign stares too, no cars coming in sight, but they will sit and watch me as I plug along down the street even though they have PLENTY of room to get by....creepy.

      Delete
  10. There's a woman in my neighborhood who drives me crazy. She never stops talking and she never has anything to say. Blah blah blah. When I'm running, she always tries to stop me to talk, but I point to my watch and keep going. I can actually hear her talking over my music as I run away. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha!! I like that, point at the watch and fly on by!
      Sounds like Ms. Crabtree....

      Delete
  11. I have a few people I know are always going to try and strike up a conversation. I just decided in the last 2 years I will be nice and just stop to chat. As long as I am not in a real hurry...
    The scariest one was when a log truck followed me and slowed down, then stopped, in the dark. It turned out the guy just wanted to let me know I was VERY visible with all my flashers and reflective gear. Good to know, I guess....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that would creep me out to have someone stop when it is dark...
      I do carry pepper spray when I trail run or run in the early morning light. Yes, it good to know you are seen though :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤