Monday, August 24, 2015

Wrapping It Up


Welcome to my weekly wrap up! This link up is hosted by two wonderful ladies HoHoRuns and Misssippipiddlin.com
Join in the fun! Link up and share your week. 


I am alive and kicking in VA ;) I am finally feeling a little better, and trying to run a little more. 

Monday a.m.5K mile run (31:55) half mile cool down
Tuesday a.m.2 mile run (21:47) half mile walk/jogging
WednesdayREST
Thursday10K run (65:28) 2 mile walk - 90 min. all over strength training
Friday 4 mile run (40:20) 2 mile walk
Saturday a.m.4.66 mile run (48:25)
Saturday p.m.Cycling 5 miles outside - (gym) tread climber 25 min. 75 min. strength training upper body
Sunday 15 min. elliptical - 90 min. all over strength training 



















We are back to this, for my morning runs before work - it's dark ( I swear that's me) 



















I didn't feel like I got in gear until Thursday.  My "busy" 10K run...right now the pace I trotting around the neighborhood would have me finishing my half marathon at 2:17 or 2:18.
I am determined I can finish in 2:15 - unless it rains, or we have a freak 100 degree day, then who knows...but I will finish. 



















Friday I took this while moving - I love seeing the pretty colors off in distance

Even better when you turn a corner and get a full force dose of beauty 


















10K Friday with run buddy is no more :( It was an oddly breezy morning, and I enjoyed a 4 mile run, and 2 mile walk. 



















Friday hubby and I went to Noodle and Co. - Tuscan grain spaghetti with cucumbers and onions tasted yummy after my morning work out :) 
Saturday, I did spend a few minutes stretching after my training team run. Urban running...wait at stop lights...it's a different animal
























It was a pretty morning Saturday, 65 degrees and 73 % humid, so much cooler than normal, but my pace just doesn't just magically pick up, so I was in the very back of the pack for training team. Apparently, a lot of people just bounce into race mode when it is cool. I have noticed my recovery is much better, and at least I feel like I could run a little longer when I finish. All summer I have fought for each step, and usually felt drained after runs, like I couldn't take another step. It's nice to feel like maybe I could do a little more...finally.



















Saturday we walked around the mall - the sky looked interesting all day. We stopped at Brookstone to play with the gadgets and I realized we have this monster massage at home. 


















I do not know why it never dawned on me until we were in the store playing, that we own a massager. My hamstrings love this! I feel like it will really help my legs as I train. It hit those tender spots, like foam rolling, and works them out. 


















Saturday for dinner, it was wine and cheese and pistachios...
I don't feel right drinking from this glass, but (it was a gift) it is good motivation to remind me, I need to get this distance done. 
I got some sweet stuff in my mail from Misssippipiddlin.com I love my new running gear :) Thank you   
    

Sunday, I slept in and hubby made me chocolate protein pancakes, they were really yummy. 


Sunday I finally got on the calf machine and the leg press. It is amazing how I will avoid doing legs. I put it off all week. I always have good excuses why I can just skip it. This is going to help my half marathon in November, right?! I keep telling myself I need to do this through September and October and get stronger. 

Honestly, I wasn't feeling super motivated early on last week, but I try to take it one day at time, and it turned it okay.  
  
And we are starting a new week already...

Does your pace return pretty easily when it is cool out, or do you have a transition time? 
Apparently, it's going to take me AWHILE!

Ever use a personal massager to help your legs? 
Do you own a massager you are not putting to good use? 
Ever receive a gift with 26.2 on it before you actually did it?
How was your week?

28 comments:

  1. Karen you had a great week! Boo to the increasing darkness though. I find that my pace improves as soon as the temps drop, which can happen anytime now, I'm ready...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marcia :) It is really dark now lol I will transition to after works runs when it does get cool! I can't wait either :)
      Cheers to speediness!

      Delete
  2. Good job on your workouts for the week. I bet that massager felt lovely. I have one of those massagers that you put your feet in and it massages my calves and feet. I love sitting in that thing after my long runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds very nice! It's good to keep those calves loosened up :)
      I will be using the massager quite often now :)

      Delete
  3. sounds like a great week. you did a lot of running. good for you. I wish I could get motivated to workout..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      You had a great week running week :)
      I am dragging on the distance thing, I guess I will get there...

      Delete
  4. I put off leg day every week myself. Hate it. I need my legs to not hurt for a few days on end.
    I am so sad its so dark early in the morning now. I need my lights to get to work ... cue the sadness.
    That pasta looks amazing!!!!
    I need to totally get one of those massage things. My hubs could use it on his legs too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My inner knees get tender so I avoid legs, but I know I need to do the few things I can handle. It is a pain when they hurt.
      I am surprised at how nice some of the hand held massage gadgets were! great for the back too :)

      Delete
  5. Argh! I have a massager like that in the closet. DUH. I don't know if my pace returns to normal because we haven't had cool weather yet. For inspiration, I bought a phone case 2 years ago that has 26.2 on it. I thought I was going to run a marathon in early 2014 but changed my mind. In defense, I covered it up with those non skid stickers and you can't tell what it says. You had a strong running week. I'm glad you are feeling better! Thanks for linking with us today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pull it out :) It really is helpful. LOL
      I understand, I feel like I won't return to where i was pace wise, but you never know. It will be well into October truly before I think I will see a change. I call what we had last week, less cruel. Truly cool for me, is not until we get into the very low 60's and 50's it is my favorite :)
      Thank you! I hope the good trend continues, I am going to try.

      Delete
  6. Never done 26.2, but my parents are always asking how long *this* half will be, LOL!

    Sounds like you're doing great. I wish I could complete one in 2:15. Who am I kidding? I'd be totally happy with 2:40!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, I love those questions! My mom asks me too, she is always shocked at anything multiple miles lol I keep telling her it is all multiple miles...
      Just have to pick your target time and go for it! But try for it in the cool weather! Cool weather helps me so much with pace.
      I am hoping for a cool race day but in November, it can either way and still be very humid.
      I am going to adjust my expectations as I train, I don't want to set the goal super high, but I need to push myself a little.

      Delete
  7. Cute wine glass! I love it! I actually don't have anything with 26.2 on it other than shirts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am the type of person who won't wear a race shirt unless I did the race (or one of my kids), so I wouldn't use the 26.2 until I completed a marathon. :) We have been stuck in the humidity here, and I DO NOT KNOW HOW YOU DO IT! It is killing me, and I am losing the mental game. I hope it breaks soon (they say Thursday).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's going on with the weather!? I hope it breaks for you soon.
      After a couple solid months, I just feel very stuck...I got use to just barely making it and I worry how long it will take me to get some mojo back, if ever.
      It's hot here till October so I am not done whining yet!

      Delete
  9. Karen I'm so glad you are feeling more like yourself and you had a great week of staying active! I love to see all the different things you do too! I'm so very glad you got your gift alright and enjoy it! I have a big massager that I don't use often cause it really takes two hands but.....seeing this post made me remember I have a hand held one that would be just perfect for my hamstrings. Humm now only if I can find it.... I would really rather just skip the machine assisted pull ups. Thay are just dang hard for me but I know they are helping me. I do much better in the cooler weather honestly I've gotten so slow with all this heat and humidity, I'm wondering if I can even finish my next half faster than I did last year. We will see! Thanks again for joining us this week! Hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a time doing the assisted pull up machine as well. I know I need it, but it's hard lol
      I decided I can't worry to much about pace for the half until October. I will see how I feel by then. I will have a hard time matching last years time, but I hope I can get under 2:15 I would be okay with that ;) have a great week!

      Delete
  10. 65 degrees! I am so jealous! A couple of weeks ago it was in the mid 80s here due to some rain clouds and I thought it was nice to have some cold weather for a change! :D

    It takes me a little while to ease into cooler weather too. At first I think it slows me down because I can't concentrate from shivering too much! Anything below 70 degrees and I'm freezing! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not imagine feeling chilly at those temps!! You always make me smile with that lol I will be chilly when it is 40 :)
      The hotter weather came back already...I knew it would.
      Your vacation spot look amazing!

      Delete
  11. Why no more 10K Fridays with run buddy?:(

    It always take me a short while to get used to colder weather too, but I see the difference once I get a cooler day :) as long as the sun is up I'm happy no matter what the temperature is (unless it's so cold my lungs start hurting haha, Norway...) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our work schedules change for summer. I work 4 ten hour days in summer, so this is my last week, but run buddy has a part time job that started this week. SO I will run my last Friday off alone .
      I love sunshine in winter :) It just melts me in summer lol

      Delete
  12. Great week! You are so solid on the strength training! I envy your consistency.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EB :) I try ! I admire your flexibility girl :)

      Delete
  13. Glad your are feeling always better.
    A solid week of training, congrats.
    I love that kind of tuscan pasta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ! That pasta is seasoned so well :) I wish I could make it that tasty!

      Delete
  14. Oooh that massager is awesome! I want one! I'm sure that feels better than a foam roller. You had a great week! I have no idea how you get up that early and run (I'm totally a night runner) but you're so consistent at it. You'll do great in the half! I'm sure 2:15 will be no problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The massager is pretty awesome :) I can not believe I forgot I had it! LOL It does feel better than the foam rolling, but I am still trying to roll a few times a week. I will try to make the switch to night running eventually ;) I hope it's a good half.

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤