Monday, September 14, 2015

Six Weeks to Make a Stronger Me

Welcome to the weekly wrap up! This link up is hosted by two wonderful ladies HoHoRuns and Misssippipiddlin.com
Join in the fun! Link up and share your week. 

I am not actually recapping last week, just sharing a little about a much needed shift in my half marathon training. 

I am 6 weeks into half marathon training. 
Race day is November 14, 2015. 
These past five weeks, I have just been trotting around trying to survive. 


After reading and commenting on Megan's post read it here! about her first double digit run in awhile, the panic set in.

When was the last time I hit double digits in a run?!

January 17, 2015 ~ I ran 12 miles. 

That was SO long ago.

I am out of shape. I did run my last half on a whim in April 2015, but I didn't train for it, I guess that counts as a long run... regardless, I am not the same runner I was a year ago before I was injured, for sure. 

My plan is to slowly build my long runs by adding a mile a week, so I won't even hit double digits until Oct.  I am trying not push to fast, because I have already had some aches and pain along the way. The question, can I handle it, will loom in my mind I guess, until it actually happens. 

This summer I decided to run a 10K each week, outside, no matter what. I just wanted to maintain some kind of base mileage. Oddly, each week that 10K got harder and harder. A few of those runs I had glimmers of hope, but honestly, most of them, I just about crawled to get to 6.22 (or 7 miles a few times).

Which is where my double digit fears stem from...


Monday morning (today) I had my first super happy chilly run. The cool isn't here to stay yet, but it sure was a nice confidence boosting change! My pace wasn't impressive at all, it was about how exhilarating it felt, and the absence of that heaviness the humidity gives me. 


My legs were so sore from my leg work out Sunday, I decided I better take it easy and just enjoy the weather. A few miles in after my legs felt warm, I wanted to push just a bit....I played around and tried a few short bursts. My glutes were so fatigued, I could not do true strides, but pushing hard for 15 to 20 seconds was a great feeling because I wasn't melting, I wasn't overheating feeling nauseous, I felt like I had a little strength.

I do not feel like my pace will just magically return, but I do feel better knowing that sluggish feeling will eventually subside.

The past month I have been experiencing a little "buyers remorse". I have been kicking myself that I signed up for a half marathon, worried it was the wrong decision, but finally, I can feel a little more confident in that decision.

This morning was the first time I experienced some real excitement about training a little harder, and crossing that finish line again.

This morning was the first time I had a spark of hope I may be able to do more than just CRAWL to the finish line :)

This morning was exactly what I needed. 
I have about six weeks to work on making a better me now. 

Anyone else experiencing any breakthrough moments in training as the weather becomes a little kinder? 
Ever experienced buyers remorse over signing up for a race? 
What are you currently training for? 
Is six weeks enough time to really make a difference? 

40 comments:

  1. Ahhh, buyers remorse. I feel that many days! I think you are going to do fine with double digits! There is no need to rush your mileage. Just take your time. The break in the weather will help too! I haven't had any breakthrough moments. I think I' m too tired for those. LOL. Thanks for linking with us, but I didn't see you on the link???? Did you have trouble?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you are tired! I can not even think about doing what you accomplished in the heat. I at least have been able to tell my self I can probably do it lol Up until now, it has not been so fun.
      I did have issues, I got distracted and forgot to add the link :( Gooodnesss, my mind is going lol

      Delete
  2. hey Karen, six weeks is surely enough time for you to tune up for your half! For the first few half marathons I did ten miles was the max training run I did so I figure if you can pull out a couple of those you're good ;) The cooler weather has certainly been kind to me and I'm thoroughly grateful. :) I'm currently training for Chicago and can't actually believe that I'll be doing a full in 4 weeks!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can tune up some :) When I think about progress it seems short, but I keep reminding my self October is a long month, I have time :)
      The cooler weather is nice and I sure hope you have some of that for race day! You are going to do great in Chicago!

      Delete
  3. I think you will be just fine. 6 weeks is a long time. And cooler weather is approaching which is always a plus. Don't doubt yourself. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, I can so relate to this! My summer paces sucked the life out of me! I wasn't sure I could pull of a PR of my last half in Tupelo, but ya know I felt great! I stayed with my strength training and that helped me a lot! I wasn't fast but I was faster than last year! First you just got to get it in you mind that YOU CAN DO THIS cause I know you can! When you cross that finish line you'll be glad you did! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly how I feel, summer sucked the life out of me and my joy and confidence ...the strength training really helps, I am trying to work on my legs. Slowly, my mind is starting to believe!

      Delete
  5. Girl, I can so relate to this! My summer paces sucked the life out of me! I wasn't sure I could pull of a PR of my last half in Tupelo, but ya know I felt great! I stayed with my strength training and that helped me a lot! I wasn't fast but I was faster than last year! First you just got to get it in you mind that YOU CAN DO THIS cause I know you can! When you cross that finish line you'll be glad you did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get the fear, Karen! No worries though. Trust that your body will remember and handle the double digits once again. Cooler weather will help a ton!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cool is a blessing. I think I was about to come unglued lol I am trying not to rush into hitting those digits.

      Delete
  7. The change in the weather is always a boost for fall race training! So much nicer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, I relate to every thing you mentioned! I've had buyer's remorse more times than I can count (I need to stop getting so sold by all the early-registration discounts, haha)... I have gone through the injuries and the long road to recovery... and I've also experienced the magical breakthroughs from weather and sometimes for no apparent reason at all! I've got the utmost in confidence that you've got this. You are training very smartly, the weather will make such a huge difference, and the body's muscle/cardio memory is an absolutely incredible thing. Rock on!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those darn early discounts get me too LOL
      Injury is tough and I am trying not freak over every little ache and pain. Those magical break throughs - what we live for!

      Delete
  9. Haha, I like that term buyer's remorse! I think I feel that every time I'm training for a race! Why do we do this to ourselves? Because the feeling of satisfaction when you cross the finish line is like no other. You got this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! You are right. I love that feeling, of course I want it again :)
      I don't know why I go kicking and screaming lol

      Delete
  10. I always feel, "What was I thinking?" at some point during my training, and I fantasize about training for a 5k or maybe walking. But deep down, I know that I would be right back at it! It is still pretty warm here, but the humidity is much less!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! This made me laugh! I have done that!
      I know it will get warm again and I am trying to brace my self, but at least I know I will feel different soon :)

      Delete
  11. I know exactly how you feel. I have my own half marathon on November 1st and while I really want to do it, part of me just wishes I could skip it and not have the pressure to get all this mileage in every week. My preparation is pretty decent so far, but I'm still constantly behind and I struggle to find motivation for my workouts every week so I wonder if I'll ever really get to a place where I feel confident about running a solid race.

    I'm thinking of starting up a mini-run streak to kick start my motivation. If you're interested maybe you could do it too (nothing extensive, it could be like 1 mile a day). We can hold each other accountable! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand lack of motivation and feeling like you have to is no fun. I always tell my self I would do it anyway, I have to work out to stay sane!
      A streak may be a good idea :) I know you can buddies on board. I have done a streak, but I am leery of my leg still. Maybe soon I will feel like my leg can handle it.

      Delete
  12. Isnt it amazing how cooler fall weather can change the whole way you feel on runs? It's like its magic :)
    I love that goal of doing a 10k every week. That's a good way to keep up mileage & keeping your body in running mode.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is like magic lol
      Before I was injured I spent two winters always getting a 10K in each week. I did miss sometimes, but I would get on steaks for months and I felt like it really does keep you in great shape.

      Delete
  13. Girl, you got this. Those 10Ks got harder cause it got hotter and more humid. You will feel better in cooler temps, like you did for this run! Just stick to your plan to build up slowly and you'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim :) I am trying to be patient and not push too much :)

      Delete
  14. LOL Buyers remorse, I think we all hit that from time to time:)
    So many people get rejuvenated with the cooler temps, I am glad you are too! I think you can still pull it off, especially if you want it! I think you've probably kept yourself in better shape than you think with the weekly 10k.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed the 10K's worked.
      I think I do the buyers remorse too often, i always second guess my self lol It makes me crazy!

      Delete
  15. Woot woot I am so glad you had this confidence boosting run!!! Weather makes suuuuuuuch a difference! You look so happy and strong in your picture. :) I think 6 weeks is enough to finish your half strong and with a smile on your face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan :) I needed the boost so much. I feel happy now, like I will enjoy my training, not kick my self over it!
      I am determined to smile and finish :)

      Delete
    2. You always look cute in your photos you will have a hard time convincing us from the photos that anything was a challenge!

      Delete
  16. It seems like this time of year I always feel like the life has been sucked out of my legs. I have a half marathon this weekend and am wondering how I will do..eek! Trust the training, right? I would think 6 weeks is enough time, just relax and enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you have a great race Christy :)
      I feel like I am finally in place to enjoy training now.

      Delete
  17. Be patient! It will all come back. The cooler weather will definitely help. I always find a new burst come fall and all that summer melting pays off. Stick with the half training. I think you will do great and it will be a huge confidence boost when you finish. I'm cheering for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EB :) Summer was just so looooong lol I think it really got to me. I am getting excited now thinking about running a race again.

      Delete
  18. A slow build up is a smart one! I had a super speedy run this week... thanks to the long downhill. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think my first double digit run since my injury is going to be the Army Ten Miler. I think the fall weather always lights a fire in my running though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be a fun way to return to double digits!

      Delete
  20. It always feels so nice when the humidity finally subsides and the cooler fall temperatures move in. It does wonders to my running. I don't have huge changes in my pace, but I feel so much better.

    I hope you have a great time at Richmond. I've run that race twice (2011 and 2012) and I loved it. I would love to go back and run it again someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should come back and run it! I think I will have a hard time beating my time from last year, but I am going to enjoy it :)

      I agree! I don't get that much faster but I feel speaks volumes, I feel energized after a run instead of drained :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤