Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Still Training

video


I have to share my Junior video, if you are an IG buddy you saw a brief clip of this already :)  It is dangerous to leave anything unattended in my house. As you can see, my cats have no fear of me ¯\_()_/¯

Training has been rolling along, and I am doing my best to get strength training accomplished each week.
Currently, I am starting to feel super excited and really nervous. The short break from the heat was just enough to help me feel  re-energized, and I am feeling much more motivated to train now.

My mileage has been pretty consistent since training started.
Week 1 - 20.75
Week 2 - 20.30
Week 3 - 20
Week 4 - 24.70
Week 5 - 19
Week 6 - 18.95
Week 7 - 22
Week 8 - in progress, I am on track for 23 miles this week. 

I am content with the distance I have covered, and the strength that has started to return in those miles. It took weeks before things really started to click! The biggest gain has not been in my pace, but in how I feel when I run. 

I spent the first several weeks of training focused on getting my legs tough enough to run back to back days again.
Last week, I decided I needed to incorporate a little speed work into my routine. 
I would call last weeks session a fail...it was humid, I could barely push.
I was determined this week to make it happen. It is so dark in the mornings now, I always carry a small flashlight to break a path in the darkness, and sometimes it is still hard to see. The only place with street lights near me is a school, so I decided the bus loop would be a good place to work on speed. I can see, and I can lay my water bottle down and run hands free! Woooot! 
My first mile up to the school is a good warm up. 

Happy First Day of  Fall

Trying to pace myself was a mess! My plan was to alternate pushing a lap and recovering a lap...I was all over the place. Heaving pace to sloth pace lol...it has been quite a while since I pushed myself like this, and I guess it will take practice to get a decent rhythm going. I may try to use the timer next week and run 4 minute intervals with a 1 minute recovery jog, and see how I do.
Regardless, I felt good this morning after I ran. It was wonderful actually...:) to force myself out of my comfort zone, and I do feel like I am making slow progress. Life is good. 

The other thing I have been consistently doing is running a 10K every week. I have carried this streak all summer...the times are finally improving, but SO far, I haven't been able to break that hour barrier...

This was the closest I've come. 

I have 51 days to race day  :)

Currently...
I have a little apprehension, I am trying replace with hard work. 
I have recaptured the joy running brings me. 
I am trying to add to my long runs very slowly. 
I am living in my compression socks for recovery. 
I am very excited for October. 
I have high hopes all the ground work, will smooth the way for a happy race day.



Wishing you all happy trails,
Karen 

What did you do this first day of Fall!? 

30 comments:

  1. Those are great paces on the speed work! Are you kidding? The lighted bus loop is a super idea. I'm so happy you are feeling back in the groove after that hellacious summer we had. It was still very warm here this morning. So on the first day of fall, I ran my usual swampy 5 mile run. Ugh. I can't leave my dogs unattended either. They will stand on the kitchen table! And eat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Holly :) I was trying to work on picking it up, but I really was pushing to heaving almost, then I would have to slow way down- I was surprised to see the lap times actually lol
      It was such a rough summer, you deserve a break from the swampy now! It is still fairly humid in the mornings, but I am not ready to try evening runs yet...
      Your dogs are like my cats, they think they are human lol

      Delete
  2. Your training seems to be going great. I have a good feeling about your race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's good :) I'll wish I could get that good feeling, I am still pretty nervous...mostly it will be crazy humid or hot that day.

      Delete
  3. You're doing great work!

    It just happens to be Yom Kippur, so I am fasting. I did a lot of yoga (which takes my mind off not eating) & drank a lot of water (although I still have a headache -- it happens every year when I fast!).

    All my animals are pretty obedient.They know which side their bread is buttered on. Well, to me. My husband is a different story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom is in charge lol I like it!
      Fasting can be tough, the caffeine withdrawal is what gets me. I hope you have a good holiday...high day...happy Sabbath...not sure what accolade to use, but i hope you feel renewed :)

      Delete
  4. Awww Junior! Cecil is the king of my house too, he does whatever he wants and who am I to stop him? ;)

    I'm so happy fall is here and the weather is cooling down some, or at least on some days it is. I was looking over my Garmin Connect data from last winter and I can't wait to be running those paces again! haha

    Your training seems to be going along great. I'm sure all of the summer training will pay off big time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is funny how they just take over! The things we do lol
      I feel guilty talking about Fall to you lol It still seems crazy hot there to me! I am looking forward to hitting some quicker paces too...it is a big difference.

      Delete
  5. I'm so impressed with all the 10k's... don't sweat that hour time challenge. You're consistent - that's key!

    That humidity is hopefully on its way out - make us feel like WONDER WOMAN in the cool air again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ♫ Wonder Woman ♫ ♫ That is stuck in my head now LOL
      Thank you! I kind of want to try to keep the 10K streak going this whole training cycle....we'll see :)

      Delete
  6. The break from the heat was awesome! I'm glad it put a little pep in your step. Great job on the 10ks. That summer training is going to pay off in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elisabeth :) I needed some pep lol I hope my legs can hold up!

      Delete
  7. Karen you've worked hard all summer and it'll most definitely pay off! Once it finally cools down consistently you'll be killing that race! Haha cute, naught kitty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junior is such a naughty kitty lol
      I hope so Marcia :) Fingers crossed November will get chilly here.

      Delete
  8. Great job on your runs. You have been very consistent and it will pay off come race day. I am not looking forward to fall, although the less humidity will be nice during runs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, you will miss the heat and the summer fun?
      Less humidity is nice, although I have not done a single evening run yet when it is less humid lol I am having a hard time making the switch.

      Delete
  9. Great job with all your hard work! Sounds like running is really clicking for you finally :) All that pushing yourself might not have felt good but it will pay off. It is supposed to get hot here again Friday and Saturday, BOO~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy! Yes..heat BOOO, but you know it won't last :)
      I am feeling pretty good, and I am trying to not over train, I want my legs to hold up...no more injures.

      Delete
  10. Those are super paces! Great idea using the lights by the school! I think your are progressing very well and you'll do great in your race! The temps will be cooler and you'll do fine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tricia :) I am going to give it try again next week. I sure hope it is a nice race day :)

      Delete
  11. You are definitely so close to breaking that hour mark, you will!!!!
    That's one great thing about fall, as the weeks come it's going to get cooler and cooler and times will automatically improve just by the temps outside alone:)
    Good luck in your race!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!
      I use to be able to break that hour barrier quite often, but it has been a long time now...a long time lol I will be excited when it happens again. The cool will help tremendously!

      Delete
  12. Great job doing a 10k every week! My goal is to do a 6-8 mile long run every weekend, but I almost never do it. You are so consistent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan :) You will get back to it!
      I hope that consistency doesn't bite me with an injury. Fingers crossed...

      Delete
  13. Those are some speedy miles during that workout! October will be here before we know it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you will find a big improvement with speed work. I am glad you are feeling better when running. I gain a little speed running in the dark because of anxiety!! The cool weather--that will REALLY help. The weather has turned here, and it feels magical!
    Good job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The humidity returned here over the weekend :( I am hopeful it will make a quick exit. I do not want to feel that heaviness again!
      The speed work zapped my legs, but I need it! I am glad you are getting some magical :) It is good for the soul. I could use a good 55 degree, good for the soul run this week, I hope it happens :)

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤