Tuesday, October 27, 2015

I Need a Vacation

Returning from vacation is tough stuff. I flew from Kalispell, MT to Salt Lake City, UT, then to Atlanta, GA and then Atlanta to Richmond, VA.
I slept late Thursday.  I planned to wake up early and try to get myself back on track from the two hour time difference, but my need for sleep won out. I didn't really want to run right back to work anyway...

Sprint shut my cell service down after my first days in Montana. It felt very strange to be so out of contact. I probably would have IG a lot more pictures if I could have. The phone thing was a bit annoying...
I am home trying to get back in the swing of things, but it is taking me much longer than I thought it would. How many times have you thought to yourself, "I need a vacation, from my vacation." 
I miss all the beautiful mountains and lakes...



and I will miss my Mom
I love those big sky views...


my Mom with her cat :) 

Friday, I tried to wake up and run before work and I had snooze button problems...I was so tired. I ended getting a mile and half run in and made it to work by the skin of my teeth.

Saturday, Kenny and I woke up early to run a Halloween 5K about 40 minutes from our house.
It was a very small race set up for a half marathon and a 5K. I just love  a reason to put a costume on!
 Riddler and nananananan...bat girl
We were directed up the wrong street, and our 5K turned into 4.4 miles. Kenny hung in there and we did a run/walk. The race results were officially changed from 5K to 4.2 miles.
Kenny 58:20
me 58:21
That time was good enough to get Kenny 3rd in his AG - he said he may end his running career on a high note ( small race, very small race) lol

Kenny had a motorcycle accident years ago and his foot was squished, his foot split open and he lost all the tissue under his foot. A crush wound is hard to recover from, and he had three surgeries trying to repair it.  He has gotten stronger over the years, but realistically he will never be 100% or able to handle impact without a lot of discomfort.

Biking is a lot easier on his foot, but he has a medal now!

After our race we we went to Denny's and had a big breakfast. I looked silly in my outfit, but I was hungry. I was basically lazy all day Saturday and took a three hour nap.

Sunday, I finally got my 8 mile training run done for the week. I wasn't feeling that great when I started, and it was raining for the first few miles. I had considered I would bail in about an hour. The rain turned to a very light drizzle about mile 3,  and I became determined to get my distance in unless my foot really acted up.  I just have a few more weeks of training to go. I was shocked to see my average pace when I was done.  I have been trying to work toward this pace my entire training cycle, but most often I have hovered closer to a 10:00, 10:15 pace. I tried to do this while on vacation, and it was a total flop. I wish I could say I knew how I made this happen, but I really have no idea. 




It was nice to see these splits, and I am afraid it may not happen again.  This has not been the best training cycle, I feel like I am just slithering by. 
My left foot is still not 100%.  It felt like I was stepping on stone a few weeks ago during my ten miler. It still feels bruised under the ball of foot, and there is a tug  in the arch area, it has improved but I aggravate each time I run. Last week I cut my mileage and did let it rest three days in a row before I ran on it, but it probably needs more than I am willing to give it right now. I have my last long run this week, a 12 miler, and the following week is taper week (6 miles for my long run), I just need my foot to hold out till then...

I am linking up today with two wonderful ladies HoHoRuns and Misssippipiddlin 
Join in the fun! Link up and share your week. ㋡ Check out the etiquette here

Ever had the "I need a vacation, from my vacation." thought?

28 comments:

  1. So weird Sprint would shut your phone down, why would they do that? Glad you got to spend some good time with your mom in the Big Sky State.
    I love you and your husbands costumes.. so cute. and congrats to your hubs and on the age group placing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was using to much data on an extended network...but even on wifi it wasn't working after a few days, I was rather annoyed.
      I am never in Montanan long enough, I miss home, but I would love to stay a few weeks!

      Delete
  2. Your vacay pics are gorgeous! Glad you enjoyed time with your mom. You are such a cute couple all dressed up and yay for K's AG place! It's amazing he can run at all coming back from an injury like that. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We got a chuckle out of the AG :)
      Kenny has made big gains in his fitness in the last year, it is fun to be active together.
      The weeks is going in a blur it seems lol

      Delete
  3. Haha, I always feel like I need a vacation when I get back from a vacation! I think we always try to pack so much in when we're out of town, and we exhaust ourselves!

    You guys look so cute in your Halloween costumes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO true about packing it in! and I slept late on vacation, which made it hard to readjust lol
      Thanks, I do like costumes a little too much.

      Delete
  4. Wow those vacation pictures are amazing! I am usually really happy to get home after vacation. I love traveling but I equally love being a homebody. Plus you know, it's hard to be away from Cecil! ;) Going back to work is the worst though! Boo!

    Congrats to you and Kenny on the 4+ miler. That's so funny that they officially changed the race distance! It's even more impressive that Kenny tackled the race given the history of his foot. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss my furry babies when I away, but I admit the break from the litter box is nice lol
      Going back to work was tough...

      We found out last night, they updated the race results again and Kenny is 2nd AG now!

      Delete
  5. You guys look so awesome in your costumes! Congrats to both of you! How cool that Kenny got a medal! Way to tough it out with the extra miles! Geesh!

    Montana looks BEAUTIFUL! I would be exhausted after a trip like that too - just the travel - wow!

    Fantastic 8 miler pace! How did our foot feel after that? I am concerned with the pain you are describing, especially that it's during the run. Please be careful and let it rest :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Montana is pretty amazing, I would move there tomorrow if I could. I guess travel took more out of than I realized, I was really tried.
      I have tried to let it rest as much as I can, I took yesterday off again and this morning it feels improved, but never all the way gone :( I will need taper week!

      Delete
  6. Love the costumes. It is fun to race with your hubby, isn't it? I enjoy that Dave and I like doing races together.
    The vacation pictures look beautiful. I often say I need a vacation from my vacation. There was the Modern FAmily episode where Claire says, "I am a mom travelling with her kids. It's not a vacation, it's a business trip..." I often think of that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! That is true, when you travel with kids, it is really tiring, it is just me these days, should be easier lol
      Thanks, It was fun to do an event together :)

      Delete
  7. Yes I can so relate to needing a vacation from a vacation. It's a regular occurrence for us so you would think I would be use to it by now, not! Great pictures, how often do you get to see your mom? Loved your outfit for the 5k, ummm I mean 4.2 miles lol Kenny did great! Can't believe he can run after an accident like that! WTG for the both of yall. Isn't it funny how a great pace can sneak up on ya, it has done that to me a few times, not quite that fast but I never know what I did. I'm so glad you joined us this week. I hope you get some rest and have a great week. My week is becoming challenged with all the rain we're experiencing. I've had about enough of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) The race was fun.
      I hate/love when I have a random good run like that, I just wish I could reproduce it lol and it usually does not happen if I try!
      I guess you are getting a lot of rain :( It does make it challenging to get your runs in, hope you have a great week.

      Delete
  8. Great job on the AG award, Kenny! Did everyone run 4.4 or just you guys? If he ran 4.4 and still won his age group, that would be hilarious!!!

    I totally understand needing a vacation to recoup from vacation! They can be exhausting, especially if you are like me and plan very active vacations. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of us ran the further distance in the event, some of the front of the pack ran the course, it was very confusing. I guess they mapped out what distance they thought we did lol Kenny got bumped to second AG last night lol isn't that something.
      It is a good thing it was a just for fun kind of race - good grief.

      Delete
  9. Those are awesome pics from Montana. It is wonderful you get to spend some special time with your Mom. Oh, you are adorable at Bat Girl! The people in Denny's probably didn't even notice. LOL. Kenny should be very proud of that medal! That is a super pace for you 8 miler. And yes, you will see it again! And again. I was hoping your foot issue was completely gone! Maybe it just needs a little more time? I appreciate you linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Holly :) I did get some strange looks in Denny's, but I need to eat too, right lol
      Kenny hung his medal :)
      If only I knew how I made 8 miler happen lol I am back to being slower again...
      The foot is very aggravating, but I hope it does not turn into something more serious, I have been trying to string some rest together, but it is challenging here, right at the end of training. It is always something...

      Delete
  10. Looks like you had a great time. Sometimes vacations are exhausting...all that unpacking and catching up on things. Your running pace is super fast. My training runs are 12:xx and then in a race, thank God, I can run faster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't cleaned my house hardly since I got home lol
      That is great Darlene! I don't seem to be able to manage to run much faster race day, history says my race day may even be slower than my training runs, so we'll see. A lot will depend on the weather that day! (sadly) It was humid and in the 60's this morning and I struggled a bit trying to get my breathing under control...

      Delete
  11. I was in Montana once years ago. I remember being mesmerized by the big skies. Great place. I have got to get back there.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Montana is so pretty! Hopefully, the taper will be just what your body needs to recover for the race. Congrats on finishing the race and to your husband for placing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I know exactly what you mean by needing a vacation when getting home from vacation! I love all of the beautiful scenery pictures you've posted from out there!

    Congrats to your hubby on his 3rd place AG win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)
      There are some pretty sights to soak up in Montana for sure :) Can you believe I am still tired lol

      Delete
  14. Montana is beautiful! Make a Wish Foundation sent my family to Yellowstone months before my brother passed away from cancer. That's been 12 years ago, but I remember that vacation like it was yesterday. I love your costumes! Congrats to your husband on the AG award! Awesome job on your 8 mile run! I hope your foot feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry about your brother. That is wonderful you all got to go have that experience with him :) I have not made it to Yellowstone, I would love to go!
      The foot is slowly improving :) It took some time, but I hope I am ready for my long run tomorrow!

      Delete

I love hearing from you ❤