Sunday, October 4, 2015

Rain

The theme of last week was rain. We had every kind imaginable: hot rain, light rain, heavy rain, cold rain, some kind of rain everyday...

I was aching all over...hands, legs, my knees...it does seem the weather actually impacts those things.  The dew point was very high all week and it was stagnant, it felt a lot like summer in the beginning of the week. Monday, I did something I rarely do, I skipped my morning run. 

Tuesday I could not wait to get out there! My excitement diminished just a little as I opened the door and that wall of stagnant hit me, but I did it anyway. I am not sure the temperature reading did the haze justice. 
I chuckled my app told me it felt 73...okay, app if you say so ¯\_()_/¯

I threw up the white flag after this run. I struggled so much to get four miles in...
I felt like I had never run that far before. 



Wednesday  I gave my bus loop speed work a shot, even though it was still kind of sweltering...running the loop is actually growing on me, because I can sit my water bottle at the curb and go :) 



Two short miles of speed work, does that even count? lol  I guess it is better than nothing.  I am trying to go around the loop once a little speedy, and shorten my recovery jogs to half the loop. I think I can do it when it is cooler out. It started to rain on my way home, and somehow it felt even hotter. 


I like to think of myself as pretty normal, then I have a glitch in my "routine" and realize I am nuts.
After my morning runs, I plug my watch and let it sync while I shower. I usually look at my splits after I get to work. When I logged in at work, I realized my watch didn't sync. I felt like a crazy person until I saw my chart.
Wednesday night I cut my foot, a stupid accident, but I cut it pretty good...so it ruined my Thursday and Friday morning run plans. The cut on the heel felt really tender. (I will be glad to send you a picture if you msg me lol I just didn't want to post a gross photo)

Thursday morning was the first day it was nippy (60 degrees) it was killing me I missed the chance to run in some decent weather...

that's a.m. :) 

Just a light rain was falling, I was so sad as I limped into work with my bandaged heel. Thursday it changed over to cool rain and lots of it! #goawayjoaquin


Thursday all the talk was about the path of the hurricane...
I read this entertaining message when I woke up Thursday...



Friday and Saturday it poured rain here. 

Saturday, run buddy and I skipped training team and just ran our own turf. We did have a few lighter periods of rain, but most of it was pretty steady cold rain. 

Padded up my heel and accomplished 5 miles 10:11 avg. pace 
It was 55 degrees, 100% humid, and the dew point was 55. I could breathe and it felt heavenly, even with the rain. My sweet  hubby had a warm towel and a hot cup of coffee for me when I got home.

Sunday light rain all day. 

My drop back week ended up being no problem, I rested way more than planned trying to let the cut heal up. 
Monday p.m.Cycling 6.65 miles - 15 min. legs lifts & stretching
Tuesday a.m.4 mile run & 10 min. stretching
Wednesday a.m.Bus loop speed work 5K run & 5 min. walk
Wednesday p.m.Cycling 5 miles - 50 min. upper body weights - 10 min. walk - then I cut my foot :(
Thursday p.m.Cycling 4.5 miles - hour of all over weight training
Friday p.m.Cycling 8.6 miles - 29 min. core work (legs lifts, crunches, planks)
Saturday a.m.5 mile run & 2 miles walk/jog home
Sunday Cycling 4.5 miles - 80 min.of all over weight training
Just 12 miles of running, but I did get 29 miles on my pretend cycle. 

Sometimes it is just not your week...but hopefully, it was good for my legs. 

I am so glad this storm missed us, I always dread losing power for long periods of time...

A week with no sunshine - how was your weather last week? 
Is it a little crazy to plan to hurricane run? 
Do you cycle when you can't run? or have another favorite replacement? 
Tell me how your runs went last week! 

I am linking up today with two wonderful ladies HoHoRuns and Misssippipiddlin.com to share my week. 
Join in the fun! Link up and share your week. ㋡ Check out the etiquette here






35 comments:

  1. We were pretty wet and dreary here (Philly area) last week, too. I was chuckling at the beginning of your post, reminded me of Forrest Gump talking about the different kinds of rain in Vietnam. Hope your heel feels better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think my heel is pretty good now, I am ready to face next week :)
      Hopefully we see some sunshine too :)

      Delete
  2. Hey, every mile counts! Great week in spite of the conditions, I think!

    Our theme for the week was the wind! It was blustery here! I'm hoping that the wind blows away for the marathon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy, I tried my best :)
      I hope the wind takes leave for you, not fun to be running against it!

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, it appears that everywhere got rained on, real bad. We had our first day of running club at school and it was like a hurricane outside so we were forced to run in the gymnasium of our elementary school. 17 laps = 1km..lol. Each lap the students picked up a popsicle stick to help them keep track. I am still seeing popsicle sticks in my sleep, lol. Great week of training Karen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg, Heather that makes me dizzy just thinking about it!! 17 laps to go 1km lol I love the popsicle stick idea though, that is really awesome :)
      I am ready for some sunshine!!

      Delete
  4. It was gloomy here too the past few days. It didn't rain the whole time but the heavy cloud cover was enough to make you feel blahhh! Hate you cut your foot maybe it won't take long to be back to normal. I hope you have a great week and thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still tender this morning, but it is feeling better :)
      It is very overcast again today, but it is cool and breezy, so I don't mind a bit. Sunshine may arrive tomorrow finally..

      Delete
  5. Hot towel and hot coffee ? Heavenly ! I HATE running in the rain. Have a good week, hope the weather is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hubby is very thoughtful :)
      I am not a huge fan of rain running either...if it is all out downpour I will skip it. I hate my shoes filling up with water.
      My shoes were still wet yesterday lol yuck!

      Delete
  6. Our week was sooooooo gray. It poured buckets Wednesday, but cleared up by the afternoon. And then got damn cold. Yesterday the sun came out but we went to see my parents so were stuck in the car for 4 hrs.

    So sorry about your heel! Ouch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy :)
      Our ride to my father-in-law is about 3 and half hours, it is along time to be in the car! It makes me so stiff...
      Hope you see some sun soon.

      Delete
  7. We had that same stagnant warm air this week too. Because I couldn't run in it, I actually took a little pleasure in the fact it was that swampy. Hee. It remained gloomy here as we were on the very edge of the hurricane clouds. It matched my mood. :( I'm sorry you cut your foot but hopefully it will heal quickly. I do cycle occasionally, but it is definitely my go-to for injury. But this time, I had to have a new ride! Karen, I really appreciate you linking up with us and for your support! Here's hoping for sunnier days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sad for you my friend, I really am. I am glad you treated your self to a new ride :) It will come in handy the next several weeks. I think we are on our 9th or 10th day of rain and overcast, I will not know what to when the sun pops out.
      Cheers to your healing! I will be rooting for you.

      Delete
  8. LOOK AT YOUR MUSCLES in your 4 mile photo! Karen, you look great!!

    How did you cut your foot? I am gross I want to see pics lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thanks Megan :) I have not been posting much so I have not got to tell you about all my PT visits and my popping shoulders...but, I am doing lighter weight again. I was feeling kind of wussy, so thanks :)
      I had a feeling you might want to see the foot! LOL Too funny, I will email you :)

      Delete
  9. Our weather this week was windy and a bit cooler. We got the friendly part of Joaquin down here in Miami. With hurricanes you have kind of a lot of notice so I do sort of run during the build up. Not once the storm actually hits though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad this storm didn't wipe anyone out. You do usually have a good amount of warning and it is nice usually behind a storm, breezes and clear days :)
      I will run in moderate run, but all out down pour isn't happening, unless I happen to get caught in it lol

      Delete
  10. Wow, what a soggy week. WE had a day of pouring rain, but then just overcast, and significantly cooler! I usually opt for the treadmill, but I do have the option of biking. I just don't enjoy it as much, so I don't do it. Because I have never gotten in "biking shape" it just makes doing it all the more painful, and thus, infrequent. Here's to clear, cool skies of fall ahead!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have high hopes for some pretty clear October days!
      I am just glad the heat finally broke, hopefully it sticks now. I was a huge TM person before my injury, but it still seems to aggravate my leg :( I can not understand it, but I try not to press it!

      Delete
  11. I am sorry your foot got cut, hope it heals quickly!
    I heard about all that crazy weather and rain you guys were getting back east.
    Loved the FB funny:) you woke up to that morning!
    We had a few sprinkles of rain out west here, but mostly it's been kind of nice.
    I actually visited DC back in 2012 during that big Hurricane, and I have to say the fact that we were outrunning the Hurricane in the Marine Corps marathon was one of the things I was most excited about:) LOL Not every day you get to run a marathon during the front of the Hurricane and super storm, LOL
    Although, the rains and crazy winds didn't come until after I was finished, but my dad and I went for a walk out in it later and took pics just so we could say we were out in a Hurricane, and knock it off the list of things to do, LOL
    Hope your skies are clearing and your foot is healing and you can have a great workout week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good you got to run the MCM without full force hurricane lol that would have been miserable, it is a pretty challenging course alone!
      It is always tempting to go out in one and just experience it, I have done it here too lol My foot is feeling better, just tender, but healing...no infection, etc...
      It is still over cast, I could use a little sun, the weather promised tomorrow :)

      Delete
  12. Ouch! Sorry to hear about your foot. Good thing you didn't have a race this wkend. Our weather wasn't too bad in Pennsylvania. It rained all day on Saturday and was cold but on Sunday it was a beautiful day. Sunny and in the high 60s. Perfect running weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great you had some clearing! After a week of no real sun, you just need it. I am anxious for the over cast skies to go away now :)

      Delete
  13. I hope your heel is healed! Ouch! What did you cut it on?

    Look at you rocking no shirt! Woot woot! Looking good! I think two miles of speedwork is still worth it! Heck, sometimes I do less than 4x400 and that doesn't even add up to a mile! It counts in my book.

    I am happy it cooled down for you by the end of the week. Hope this week is better!

    P.S. I'd be losing my mind if my run didn't upload, either. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My heel is doing better, starting to scab up a bit but stil sore. I can not decide if I just need to rest one more day. I need to get some decent speed work done this week. It is so lovely out...finally, it is making it hard to rest!
      I cropped that picture so you can not see my middle LOL amazing what being too hot and darkness will do for the confidence lol

      Delete
  14. Hope your heel is healing. :)
    We had one rainy day, I didn't run in it either, I was over being cold and wet by the time I had tine to run. Great job getting out and getting your runs done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy :)
      My heel is better but still tender, I wish it would hurry up and heal already lol

      Delete
  15. We run in Hurricanes.. just not in lightning. haha!!
    Ok, I will not run with lightning nearby, the exception being stuck in the middle of a relay when it comes.
    Sorry about your foot! I hope the healing comes quickly. You got a lot done despite it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes you just can't not outrun the weather lol
      Thanks Raina :) I am hopping over soon to see how your 50K went!

      Delete
  16. It was SO wet here this past week/weekend. We're still waiting for it to dry up around here. Your heel cut sounds so painful, I hope it heals soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney :) You earned some sunshine time, hopefully it is nicer this week!

      Delete
  17. Hope your heel feels better! OUCH! It was rainy here earlier in the week, then mostly cloudy. I can't wait to upload and view my activities. That's what I love about my Forerunner 220. I can upload activities when I'm out of town via Bluetooth. I used to hate waiting until I got home to upload my activities. It looks like you had a great week despite that setback with your heel. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra! That is a bonus of the 220 for sure, I love to see those charts lol I may upgrade one of these days.

      Delete
  18. I wish you a speedy recovery! Heel pain is the worst. I dealt with plantar fasciitis for awhile and it was very frustrating.

    I believe ALL speedwork counts!!! I struggle so much with motivation when it comes to speedwork. I strongly believe ANY speedwork done is better than nothing!

    Running in the rain is tough. I've done a few races in torrential downpours and it's really something else! I don't mind a light rain when it's warm out, but when it's cold and rainy? Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you ❤